Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Really gross 'ramyen' adverts.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZE wrote:
I'm sort of the opposite. I don't get grossed out or offended by the table manners of Koreans, but I always feel so self-conscious because my manners often make them so uncomfortable.

Here's a perfect example. A couple of years ago, I showed up to work one morning and we were all informed the mother of a bus driver of my hagwon died and the boss was having us donate money. Teachers were pulling out green notes, so I donated 11,000 won, which was all I had on me that morning. My supervisor was offended by the blue 1,000 note and handed it back to me, and the boss was demanding more. That night, there was a funeral, and most of the Korean staff and all of the foreign staff created reasons not to go, but I decided to go ahead and go. A lady at the funeral home said I couldn't bow to the dead lady because I was underdressed. I was wearing jeans and a leather jacket, but it wasn't like I knew I was going to a funeral when I was getting dressed that morning.

Then there was the funeral dinner. We ate for at least an hour. After sitting Indian style for so long, my legs were falling asleep, so I resituated my legs to where my feet were both to my right, in order to allow blood to circulate in my legs. The wall was to my right, which was another reason I sat that way, as my supervisor was seated to my left. She was upset about the way I was sitting, telling me to sit Indian style. I told her I would soon, but my legs had fallen asleep and I was just trying to get blood flowing again. She said, "But you're sitting like a girl!" I told her it would be alright. She repeated again, "But you're sitting like a girl!" I told her I was the only person in the place with a shaved head and facial hair, that no one would realistically think I was trying to be a girl. She told me to put my legs out straight. I'm 184 cm, so I sarcastically asked, "In our boss's lap?" since our boss was sitting directly across from me. Meanwhile, my boss kept telling me in a very demanding fashion, "Pour my beer!!! Pour my beer!!!" since her glass kept going empty while my supervisor and I were talking about my sitting position.

At the next workplace dinner, the other foreign teachers were there and an American teacher was upset that I passed a dish to a Korean teacher with only my right hand. She lectured and asked me sarcastically, "Are you older than Kay!? You can only do that if you're older!" I sort of wondered how Kay felt about what the American teacher said, since I actually was older than Kay.

Some older Korean guys asked me to sit down and eat with them recently. These guys were really nice, and they didn't critique my table manners. However, I did receive a lecture on how I was improperly greeting them anytime I saw them in town. I had been giving them a cheerful "Annyeong haseyo" but they said I was supposed to add "Hyung" to it, and they had me rehearse it several times right there in the restaurant in front of everyone until I got it right. These guys are so nice, but it was still awkward for me since I'm sort of a private person.

Girlfriends and their relatives have always been a blast to eat with. And my current workplace is tolerant of my barbarian manners, too. They actually have exceptionally good manners by Western standards, so much better than mine.

If I EVER went out with any of the people you mention above, it'd be for the last time. I don't dig all the dominating elder type things. If they think I'm rude because of that, so be it. I treat older and younger people with the same level of courtesy and respect.

The bunch you are with sound very traditional though. I'd be really surprised if someone ever said those things to me in Seoul.
Mix1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

That being said, in the past week I've had lunch with two foreigners who had abysmal eating dining habits. Made me shudder.

Maybe I've only noticed this after living in East Asia, but one yucky dining habit that I've seen a lot of westerners do is grab their rice or other food while eating it with a fork or spoon. Sometimes they'll scrape it to the side of the plate and push it back onto the utensil, even packing it into a ball with their hand before eating it off the fork.

I've also seen westerners picking up individual grains of rice off the plate and eating them, then licking their fingers afterward. Just don't, people! We had one coworker who would finish his meal, and then play with his food with his hands, picking up random pieces of food and swirling them in his soup bowl and then licking his fingers. I'll take noodle slurping over that kind of stuff.
Mix1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZE wrote:

At the next workplace dinner, the other foreign teachers were there and an American teacher was upset that I passed a dish to a Korean teacher with only my right hand. She lectured and asked me sarcastically, "Are you older than Kay!? You can only do that if you're older!" I sort of wondered how Kay felt about what the American teacher said, since I actually was older than Kay.

Lame.
Most likely she was trying to score brownie points with the Koreans around her. I've got a coworker who does this all the time. I usually tell him, "If YOU want to do that, YOU go right ahead and do it." Interestingly, the Korean staff likes me much more than him.

If a group of Koreans wants to adhere to certain standards, they can let us know. But when a foreigner tries to set the standards, when the Koreans in question didn't even care, that's annoying.

Koreans can be more forceful about it though. A lot of it is about hierarchy and control.
Random Korean guy I meet at a bar: "You have to call me 'Hyung'!!"
Me: "No, I don't."
(Starts scratching his head, thinking, "Huh? He really DOESN'T have to call me "Hyung"??")
Smithington

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that the video is now gone. Very Happy I want to thank all who took the time to call and express their dislike for such videos. It's really satisfying to see Dave's community working together for a common goal. Hopefully they'll think twice about posting such gross Korean food adverts in future. You guys rock.

Have an awesome lunch. You deserved it.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mix1 wrote:

(Starts scratching his head, thinking, "Huh? He really DOESN'T have to call me "Hyung"??")

This is why I don't have male Korean friends (the women are fine though).
Smithington

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like I spoke too soon. They be back.Confused
Mix1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
Mix1 wrote:

This is why I don't have male Korean friends (the women are fine though).

The women are great. Fairly easy going.

The issue with some of the males is that they are so focused on status and hierarchy. They feel they have to be above you or dominate you in some way, and when that isn't possible, some part of them resents it. It all feels like a big battle, which is tedious. Not fun at the dinner table.

That and the wanna-be alpha at the table always feels he has to shout-talk and lecture and control everyone about every aspect of the meal and how much should be eaten, etc. Then he gets butt-hurt when you don't agree or comply with something he says. A constant battle. Just shaddup and slurp your noodles, thanks.
El Bandito

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
EZE wrote:
I'm sort of the opposite. I don't get grossed out or offended by the table manners of Koreans, but I always feel so self-conscious because my manners often make them so uncomfortable.

Here's a perfect example. A couple of years ago, I showed up to work one morning and we were all informed the mother of a bus driver of my hagwon died and the boss was having us donate money. Teachers were pulling out green notes, so I donated 11,000 won, which was all I had on me that morning. My supervisor was offended by the blue 1,000 note and handed it back to me, and the boss was demanding more. That night, there was a funeral, and most of the Korean staff and all of the foreign staff created reasons not to go, but I decided to go ahead and go. A lady at the funeral home said I couldn't bow to the dead lady because I was underdressed. I was wearing jeans and a leather jacket, but it wasn't like I knew I was going to a funeral when I was getting dressed that morning.

Then there was the funeral dinner. We ate for at least an hour. After sitting Indian style for so long, my legs were falling asleep, so I resituated my legs to where my feet were both to my right, in order to allow blood to circulate in my legs. The wall was to my right, which was another reason I sat that way, as my supervisor was seated to my left. She was upset about the way I was sitting, telling me to sit Indian style. I told her I would soon, but my legs had fallen asleep and I was just trying to get blood flowing again. She said, "But you're sitting like a girl!" I told her it would be alright. She repeated again, "But you're sitting like a girl!" I told her I was the only person in the place with a shaved head and facial hair, that no one would realistically think I was trying to be a girl. She told me to put my legs out straight. I'm 184 cm, so I sarcastically asked, "In our boss's lap?" since our boss was sitting directly across from me. Meanwhile, my boss kept telling me in a very demanding fashion, "Pour my beer!!! Pour my beer!!!" since her glass kept going empty while my supervisor and I were talking about my sitting position.

Some older Korean guys asked me to sit down and eat with them recently. These guys were really nice, and they didn't critique my table manners. However, I did receive a lecture on how I was improperly greeting them anytime I saw them in town. I had been giving them a cheerful "Annyeong haseyo" but they said I was supposed to add "Hyung" to it, and they had me rehearse it several times right there in the restaurant in front of everyone until I got it right. These guys are so nice, but it was still awkward for me since I'm sort of a private person.

Girlfriends and their relatives have always been a blast to eat with. And my current workplace is tolerant of my barbarian manners, too. They actually have exceptionally good manners by Western standards, so much better than mine.

If I EVER went out with any of the people you mention above, it'd be for the last time. I don't dig all the dominating elder type things. If they think I'm rude because of that, so be it. I treat older and younger people with the same level of courtesy and respect.

The bunch you are with sound very traditional though. I'd be really surprised if someone ever said those things to me in Seoul.

Same here.

If we're not in a formal situation, all rules are out the window. You don't like it, tough cookies. We won't hang out anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: