Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

World Cup 2014: U.S. in the "Group of Death''
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radcon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
The US however are in tough. I do not see how they can get out of their group. Real tough draw for them.

Germany and Portugal are clearly going to be 1-2 in this group.

US beat Portugal in the 2002 World Cup and that Portugal team was stronger than it is now.
Otter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US and England have really tough groups. I think they'll both manage to get through, but it is not going to be easy.

Korea has an easy group. If they don't go through they should be ashamed of themselves.
sanbondon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea's group isn't easy. Belgium are one of the best teams in Europe right now and Capello's Russia are well capable of causing a potential upset in the knockout phase.
Saying that Korea should be 'ashamed' or 'disappointed', as a previous poster said, is a gross overestimation of their pedigree.
If they're to come to the group I'd be very surprised.

Conclusion:
Begium 100%
Russia - probably
Korea - maybe
catman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanbondon wrote:
Korea's group isn't easy. Belgium are one of the best teams in Europe right now and Capello's Russia are well capable of causing a potential upset in the knockout phase.
Saying that Korea should be 'ashamed' or 'disappointed', as a previous poster said, is a gross overestimation of their pedigree.

Conclusion:
Begium 100%
Russia - probably
Korea - maybe

I agree. They should only be ashamed if they lose to Algeria.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:
The US however are in tough. I do not see how they can get out of their group. Real tough draw for them.

US beat Portugal in the 2002 World Cup and that Portugal team was stronger than it is now.

Well anything is possible I suppose.

I just think the US will have a tough time advancing.
sanbondon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see the US getting past the group stages either. The Germans are a shoe-in and Portugal came through the play offs against a very decent Swedish side.
Ronaldo is also at his peak right now and will be out to prove it on the biggest stage.
Going to be a crackin' WC. Roll on June....
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

misher wrote:
Quote:
and Belgium was good a LONG time ago but is hardly the team they once were.

You seen the EPL recently? Hazard, Mirallas, Mignolet, Dembele Lukaku and Fellaini. All quality players and Hazard in particular is world class.

I'm well aware that Belgium has a young and up and coming team. However they unproven on the world stage, Belgium hasn't been anywhere deep in the WC since the 80s. They didn't qualify for the last 2 and got killed in the group stages in the ones prior. Many teams looks great on paper because they have A B and C player in the EPL, la liga etc. and the &$)! the bed when it counts. Belgium is still young unproven and not in the same category as the big boys yet and that is my point. Korea has avoided all powerhouse contending squads in the group round. That is ridiculously lucky. No teams are in their group that will pimp slap them like Arg did in 2010. Could you imagine the netizen complaints if Korea was in Costa Rica's, Chile's or Ghana's place ( all of those teams could beat Korea on any given day imo.) ?

Uhm more than a few people out there are picking the Belgians as Dark Horse candidates to go deep. The Belgians have serious talent. While they may be unproven as a national team, the individual players are proven by playing at a high level in the best league week in, week out. Did those prior teams have the talent level that this one does? And by your logic, no one should have picked Spain to win because they had never won it before. All we're talking about is Belgium controlling their group as top dog and being a pretty strong team.

Korea's draw could be worse, but it they could also be in Group C. It is what it is for them.

Quote:
US and England have really tough groups. I think they'll both manage to get through, but it is not going to be easy.

Korea has an easy group. If they don't go through they should be ashamed of themselves.

England has a fighting chance. The US? Are you out of your mind? Korea's group isn't the toughest, but its no cakewalk for them either. It's going to be them or Russia and who knows? Algeria might pull off a stunner. Korea is at best a 50-50 to advance, though I'd put them at more of a 40-60 or even less.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:

You're really going out on a limb there, Patrick. But I agree. This group is so strong, I am surprised the WC aficionados did not come up with an ominous sounding moniker for it, like "Group of Eternal Damnation", or something catchy like that. Rolling Eyes
cabeza

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recent odds:

Order by: Tournament Winner

3/1
Brazil

9/2
Argentina

11/2
Germany

7/1
Spain

14/1
Belgium

20/1
Colombia

20/1
France

28/1
Holland

28/1
Italy

28/1
Uruguay

33/1
England

33/1
Portugal

66/1
Chile

66/1
Russia

150/1
USA

200/1
Ivory Coast

200/1
Japan

500/1
South Korea

750/1
Australia

1000/1
Algeria

2500/1
Honduras
jvalmer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catman wrote:
sanbondon wrote:

Conclusion:
Begium 100%
Russia - probably
Korea - maybe

I agree. They should only be ashamed if they lose to Algeria.

Don't underestimate those African teams. Algeria was 4th in the 2010 African Cup. Then again, the African Cup does produce some strange winners. The last few world cups it's often been some unknown African team that surprised.
pugwall

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone saying Belgium are easy is silly. I reckon Korea is the weakest team in that group. Algeria have a first XI who all play in Europe at the highest level. Russia also are good, but because of the super wages available in Russia now, many of their players are unknown to those who only follow European leagues.
sanbondon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Italians and Dutch at 28/1. Who makes this stuff up?
catman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanbondon wrote:
The Italians and Dutch at 28/1. Who makes this stuff up?

Consideration is taken with regards to what groups they are in. That is a huge factor as well.
sanbondon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Catman, both are in dicey groups.

Decent odds for the betting man though. I checked a few betting sites back home and they have similar rankings but slightly narrower odds for those teams, both at 22/1.

Still, it's hard to see anyone other than Brazil, Germany or Spain for an outright winner.

I'm going with the Germans this year. 1990 is along time ago.
cabeza

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if you look at the Netherlands for example, they have Spain in their group, so odds on them getting 2nd in the group.

That would lead them to the knockout round having to play the winner of Group A, which in all probability will be Brazil. So thats them playing two of the favourites and they haven't even got to the quaters yet. A hard road.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: