Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A fitting analogy for ESL in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Just saw the ad reposted:

1.Location= Seodaemoon Namgajwa2 dong 5 min WALK from MyungJi Uni (10min bus from hongdae '7612')
2.Salary = 20,000 ~25,000won per hour (depend on your experience and visa type)
3.Teaching time = from 2p.m to 6or 7p.m(4~5ours) 1 or 2 days in a week .
4. Class size: maximum 10 average 7
5. Class type: Elementary and only one class of kinder
6.Vacation: None
7.Housing: None
8.Visa: F2, F6 Only. (Americans or Canadians who are married to Koreans)
Starting time: March

20,000 to 25,000 for a North American F visa holder? @.@ Terrible. >_< (Do you think anyone's going to say yes to that?)

25,000 X 5 hours X 4 days per month. An extra 500,000 per month for someone who needs to plug a hole in their schedule.

Another 6 million won, or more, per year. I may jump on that myself.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the stress of teaching kids isn't worth a small payment.

Are you really interested in working for that sum, or are you trying to convince readers working in a hagwon for not that much money is a good deal?

wooden nickels wrote:
My wife and I have our own school/business here.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I may jump on that myself.

You run your own school and you'd jump on 25,000 won an hour (assuming you qualify for the top rate) Is your business going down the pan or something?
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just four months ago, he wrote:
wooden nickels wrote:
My K-wife and I each have some private incomes that are roughly the same, from property investments, with hopes these will increase over the future. These properties are fully paid for. Plus we both have bank savings (CDs) and some small insurance investments that bring in a small income. Plus, we own 2 schools together. We have been married for more than 10 years. Yes, our salaries make saving money easy. Yes, times do change. However, we are debt free. Our apartment is paid for. We NET a $ six-figure yearly income.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=2910659&highlight=#2910659

Times must be getting tough in the English hagwon industry. @.@

From making six figures a year to wanting to jump on 20-25k per hour. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
For me, the stress of teaching kids isn't worth a small payment.

Are you really interested in working for that sum, or are you trying to convince readers working in a hagwon for not that much money is a good deal?

wooden nickels wrote:
My wife and I have our own school/business here.

I guess the business isn't doing so well. 20,000-25,000 an hour with no benefits. No thank you. I made better money with benefits waiting tables at Outback Steakhouse eleven years ago.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
I may jump on that myself.

You run your own school and you'd jump on 25,000 won an hour (assuming you qualify for the top rate) Is your business going down the pan or something?

My business is still doing great. But, sometimes I will pick up some work on the side. I'm at the point that I no longer think of income in the terms of 20,000 won per hour or 50,000 won per hour. I just think of it as extra money.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Just four months ago, he wrote:
wooden nickels wrote:
My K-wife and I each have some private incomes that are roughly the same, from property investments, with hopes these will increase over the future. These properties are fully paid for. Plus we both have bank savings (CDs) and some small insurance investments that bring in a small income. Plus, we own 2 schools together. We have been married for more than 10 years. Yes, our salaries make saving money easy. Yes, times do change. However, we are debt free. Our apartment is paid for. We NET a $ six-figure yearly income.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=2910659&highlight=#2910659

Times must be getting tough in the English hagwon industry. @.@

From making six figures a year to wanting to jump on 20-25k per hour. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Nope, times are good. Nothing falling on my end.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

My business is still doing great. But, sometimes I will pick up some work on the side. I'm at the point that I no longer think of income in the terms of 20,000 won per hour or 50,000 won per hour. I just think of it as extra money.

That's great, so presumably if a kid came to your school and asked for English lessons at half the normal price you'd be happy to accommodate him?
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

That's great, so presumably if a kid came to your school and asked for English lessons at half the normal price you'd be happy to accommodate him?

No. Full price only at my business.

But I will take on outside work from time to time at cut throat rates, assuming it doesn't affect my school.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooden nickels wrote:
edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

No. Full price only at my business.

But I will take on outside work from time to time at cut throat rates, assuming it doesn't affect my school.

Actually, I've picked up probably around a dozen or so students doing this.

Now think about how much those dozen or so students have been worth?

This is how you make money.

It's quite common for a few students to follow a teacher to another school.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a bit unethical to me.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:

When I hire a new teacher, I always know that eventually that teacher will move on and there is a possibility that some of the students might follow the teacher.

A lot of the younger Korean teachers get their start this way. They work for a school for a couple of years in order to build up connections with mothers. Then they start their own small business as soon as they have gathered a few students from their employer.

Most school owners know this is part of the business here. It's never really thought of as unethical.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

edwardcatflap wrote:

When I hire a new teacher, I always know that eventually that teacher will move on and there is a possibility that some of the students might follow the teacher.

A lot of the younger Korean teachers get their start this way. They work for a school for a couple of years in order to build up connections with mothers. Then they start their own small business as soon as they have gathered a few students from their employer.

Most school owners know this is part of the business here. It's never really thought of as unethical.

So would you give someone a part time teaching job, knowing they already had their own school?
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

edwardcatflap wrote:

So would you give someone a part time teaching job, knowing they already had their own school?

No. Not if they had their own business, as in a school or study room.

If someone had some private classes on the side, I would hire them.

I've employed a couple of teachers in the past who I knew were moving toward beginning their own business. I've even helped one of the teachers get some students when she began her own business in a different area of the city.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: