Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Doomed Future?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
wonkavite62



Joined: 17 Dec 2007
Location: Jeollanamdo, South Korea.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: A Doomed Future? Reply with quote

Are public school/university jobs in Korea doomed? Is this government going to end them for good? Or is there some light at the end of the tunnel, some point after which things will greatly improve?
I suspect the present Korean government is applying economic Austerity to education. The Korean people will be glad in 2017-for the chance to vote in someone better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
EZE



Joined: 05 May 2012

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: A Doomed Future? Reply with quote

wonkavite62 wrote:
Are public school/university jobs in Korea doomed? Is this government going to end them for good? Or is there some light at the end of the tunnel, some point after which things will greatly improve?
I suspect the present Korean government is applying economic Austerity to education. The Korean people will be glad in 2017-for the chance to vote in someone better.


After the salaries fall below 2.0 and then 1.5, we'll all be gone except for a few married to Koreans. And Steelrails. The last one to leave needs to turn out the lights on the way out. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YTMND



Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Location: You're the man now dog!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just congestion of the masses.

With competition, more people are trying to get a job. So, what do the rich do? They distance education from people who are not rich.

Children of rich people:

1. will have schools to go to taught by foreigners.
2. will be taught in smaller groups.
3. will have qualifications then to get a job instead of others.

Think of it like going to a concert or fancy restaurant. The VIP seats are being taken, and the rich don't like it. By removing us, it makes the whole "boat" weaker. The rich are not going to stop their children from learning from foreigners though.

When the upper middle class in Korea run out of money to send their children to schools which do have foreigners, then we will see complaints and government intervention. Right now, Korea has too many cooks in their kitchen, too many chiefs.

Give it time to rebound and then there will be empty jobs. Look at the exchange rate now, it's gone up 15% since the big drop around 2008.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=KRW&view=5Y
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ttompatz



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Location: Kwangju, South Korea

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the near future, programs in elementary schools will, for the most part, be maintained at current levels. Requirements will continue to rise and salaries will remain stagnant.

PS jobs in middle and high schools will end (where they haven't ended already).

Hagwon jobs will continue at or near current levels for older students (test prep courses will be common).

English kindy will continue without significant changes.

Uni jobs for those who are qualified will still be there; forget about "conversation" type classes taught by undergrads or those with unrelated BA/MAs.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Chia Pet



Joined: 23 Jun 2013

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
Hagwon jobs will continue at or near current levels for older students (test prep courses will be common).

You think test prep courses will become more common than they already are? I hope not. Maybe studying test prep for a few months before a test is a shortcut to higher scores, but if a student focuses on test prep for many years, he or she will end up learning a lot less English than a student in a proper EFL curriculum (and will end up with lower test scores). Unfortunately, parents don't get that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thegadfly



Joined: 01 Feb 2003

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chia Pet wrote:
ttompatz wrote:
Hagwon jobs will continue at or near current levels for older students (test prep courses will be common).

You think test prep courses will become more common than they already are? I hope not. Maybe studying test prep for a few months before a test is a shortcut to higher scores, but if a student focuses on test prep for many years, he or she will end up learning a lot less English than a student in a proper EFL curriculum (and will end up with lower test scores). Unfortunately, parents don't get that.


Tell that to administrators in the US, with the current trend toward requiring that teachers teach to the standardized tests -- not just in English, but across the board!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
creeper1



Joined: 30 Jan 2007

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: doomed Reply with quote

LOL a doomed future!

You'd be forgiven for thinking that.

However you;d be mistaken for thinking so.

These forums are overly pessimistic and the reason is a mischievous poster known as "world traveler" who posts every bit of bad news he can find while trolling the internet.

The reality is that TEFL in Korea is a growing and very lucrative profession for foreigners to get into.

The future is so bright I have to wear shades. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
World Traveler



Joined: 29 May 2009

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: doomed Reply with quote

opposite man wrote:
The reality is that TEFL in Korea is a growing and very lucrative profession for foreigners to get into.

Growing? Korea's past its peak. I think everyone agrees on that. Same deal with Taiwan and Japan. The good news is ESL in mainland China is growing. Wages there are higher than ever before. And economies in the West are doing well too. Way more money to be made there.

How could Korea's TEFL industry be growing if

1) The government is cutting funding for English education.
2) Per capita spending in the private market on English education is less than before.
3) Korea's birthrate is extremely low and has been on the decline for a long time.

?_?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YTMND



Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Location: You're the man now dog!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bro up in the hill did some killing. Goodbye turdburglar Jang Song Thaek.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
edwardcatflap



Joined: 22 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Growing? Korea's past its peak. I think everyone agrees on that. Same deal with Taiwan and Japan. The good news is ESL in mainland China is growing. Wages there are higher than ever before. And economies in the West are doing well too. Way more money to be made there.

How could Korea's TEFL industry be growing if

1) The government is cutting funding for English education.
2) Per capita spending in the private market on English education is less than before.
3) Korea's birthrate is extremely low and has been on the decline for a long time.

?_?


I can't believe you're still taking Creeper's posts seriously. Or appear to be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
creeper1



Joined: 30 Jan 2007

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: my view Reply with quote

The EFL market in Korea is massive and outshines all it's neighbours. If it didn't why would they offer

- prepaid airfare
- free accommodation
- PS offering settling in allowance
- the highest salaries in East Asia

Money is thrown in all kinds of ways at us foreigners.

There is a drive to use English as a medium instruction for other subjects at universities - that's my justification for saying the field is growing.

If there were any problems in the market you would see some of these goodies being removed. Fact is they are standard in 90% of contracts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GENO123



Joined: 28 Jan 2010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching in Korea is broken. Salaries have not gone up in 13 years. University tuition is actually going down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
World Traveler



Joined: 29 May 2009

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GENO123 wrote:
Salaries have not gone up in 13 years.

Yes, meaning adjusted for inflation they have gone down so much. Think of it as getting a 50% pay cut.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stan Rogers



Joined: 20 Aug 2010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Another dooms day thread. These "end of the line for English" type threads have been appearing on this site for years. After all the dire predictions over the years, nothing has changed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
World Traveler



Joined: 29 May 2009

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: my view Reply with quote

creeper1 wrote:
There is a drive to use English as a medium instruction for other subjects at universities - that's my justification for saying the field is growing.

Taught by Koreans with PhDs, not Westerners with masters degrees. The original idea was to have Westerners teach those courses, but that did not pan out for the most part. Koreans wanted to get fat bonuses themselves, and thus used their clout to make it so they would be able to teach those classes themselves. I have heard of doctorate holders from the Philippines and India teaching these courses, but mostly it is Koreans teaching them. As the overall English level among natives improves, Westerners are less and less needed. That's why ESL is a bad industry to get into/why ESL as a good career is declining worldwide. Things will get worse in China (and everywhere else too) in the future no doubt, just as they already have for Korea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International