Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KOREAN DRIVERS LICENSE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OnPoint

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: KOREAN DRIVERS LICENSE Reply with quote

Has anyone exchanged their home country license for a Korean one? It seems you have to get your license translated and notarized in order to get one. Do you know where I can get that done (translation/notarization services)? How difficult was the process as a whole? Any comments or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
OP
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont' need to get your licencse translated or anything like that. Just take it and your passport and alien id to the nearest drivers licensing place, pay 15,000 won. 1 eye exam and 1 hour later you will have your licencse. No problemo....

FYI check out this thread. Hope this helps
phil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just changed my license last month. australian -> korean

you need to have your foreign license certified at your embassy. cost me 20,000 won.
take it with your passport, alien id, 2 passport sized photos and your original license.
they make u do some touch your toe excercises and an eye exam. hand over 10,000 won and wait an hour.
bring a korean friend if u can. they had no one who could speak english when i was there (daegu), and all the forms are in korean.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the process varies, I never had to have my licence certified by my embassy.

I also got an international driver's licence issued to me in Korea for driving outside Korea on holidays- for that I needed a form from Immigration proving that I had been a resident of Korea for at least 2.5 years (more or less, can't remember exactly what requirement was).
dogbert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo wrote:
Sounds like the process varies, I never had to have my licence certified by my embassy.

I also got an international driver's licence issued to me in Korea for driving outside Korea on holidays- for that I needed a form from Immigration proving that I had been a resident of Korea for at least 2.5 years (more or less, can't remember exactly what requirement was).

It sounds like the driver's license issuing authority is as consistent in its policies as immigration.

I exchanged my (U.S.) state driver's license for a Korean one in 1999. At that time, the process was exactly how kimcheeking described it. Reading phil's post, the process seems to have changed, which is perhaps not surprising. One thing was, was that your "home" driver's license had to still be valid at the time you applied for your Korean driver's license.

Then again, looking at the agency's website, it says that if your driver's license is issued by the U.S., England, France, Canada, Germany, Japan, or Spain, the requirement of embassy certification is waived. No such waiver for Australia; perhaps it's a treaty thing.

I was issued a (Korean) international driver's permit last week. It cost 5,000 won and one passport-sized photo. No test, no document from immigration required. I didn't even have to show them my passport, just my certificate of alien registration.

However, re: Bulsajo's post, back in 2001 I had inquired to the driver's license issuing authority about applying for an international driver's permit and was told that one could only be issued to those who had had a Korean driver's license for three years (not merely being a resident of three years). But again, this time they said nothing about that.

Anyway, for those who read Korean, here is the agency's URL:

http://www.dla.go.kr/0_renew/index.asp

Exact information regarding exchange of a foreign driver's license and issuance of an international driver's permit:

http://www.dla.go.kr/0_renew/m3/license.asp
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah! I'm still reeling from the epiphany I just had while reading Dogbert's post. I think I've finally put my finger on what really bugs me the most about Korea- the lack of consistency.

Not just regarding Immigration and Licencing, but a host of other issues. Other countries have pain in the ass bureaucratic rules and red tape, but in my experience they've been more or less consistent- you find out what the rules are, and then you follow them and you'll get predictable results [even though the process may be a pain]. Not neccessarily so in Korea.

I realize this is probably a no-brainer for many people; I'd just never really given it a lot of thought before.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope you don't have to turn in your old license. As Bulsajo said, there's too many stories, even in 5 little replies, and I'm getting an inconsistent picture. If I have to hand them my old license permanently, I'd rather not...
dogbert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
I really hope you don't have to turn in your old license. As Bulsajo said, there's too many stories, even in 5 little replies, and I'm getting an inconsistent picture. If I have to hand them my old license permanently, I'd rather not...

You don't have to surrender your old license. The Korean government has no authority to confiscate it or render it invalid. They merely want a copy of it as proof that you are in fact a licensed driver somewhere.

Oh, and another funny thing Bulsajo. When I went to get my international driver's permit last week, the civil servant who issued it also extended the validity period of my Korean driver's license for an additional two years beyond the existing expiration date, saying that the law had changed in the interim.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying, dogbert.
Anda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:00 am    Post subject: um Reply with quote

I got mine last year and it was being said that foreigners would have to start doing a driving test this year at some stage so anyone thinking of getting a Korean license shouldn't put it off.
elmer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: um Reply with quote

Anda wrote:
I got mine last year and it was being said that foreigners would have to start doing a driving test this year at some stage so anyone thinking of getting a Korean license shouldn't put it off.

This is true, but not for everyone. Depends what country you are from. Canadians won't have to take a test, but Americans will. Just a written test, if I remember correctly. It has to do with what countries have agreements with Korea. Canada has one, USA doesn't.

Sorry, don't remember UK, Australia, NZ...

there was an article in the Korean Herald a while back, so a search there will probably turn it up
Derrek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: I heard... Reply with quote

I heard (I think on TV) that the drivers test was going to be administered starting in March of this year.

Not sure if they're doing it yet, or who has to do it. I also heard it's one page and pretty easy.
OnPoint

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject: Location of Gangnam Drivers License Office Reply with quote

Thanks for your info. I forgot to ask if anyone could give me directions to the Gangnam Office. Can't seem to find them anywhere on the Web.
OP
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Directions to Gangnam licensing:
If you know where the TGIFriday is on Youngdongdaero (the very wide north-south blvd that runs past the Coex) then you just keep going past it following the street it's on, which takes a sharp bend left and then downhill towards the river. The complex is just at the bottom of the hill on your right.

If not, then start at Samseong station. I'm not sure which exit number it is, but you want to be on the south-east corner (cross-corner from the Intercontinental Hotel) facing east towards the bridge and Chamsil stadium. Walk a little less than a block and take the second (?) right onto a small street (don't go over the bridge). Walk about a block and half, a little past the police station, and the licensing office is on your left.

Go through the gate and head left into the main building. Once through the main doors veer to the right- there are will be mulitple line-ups, you want the the second or third line-up from the right (there should be a sign in English on the counter for the right line-up, but if it hasn't changed then it's not that big, a little hard to spot).

If I remember correctly you'll then have to leave the main building to pay, and you'll also have to get in another line-up to take a vision test. These are both done in the single story buildings just next to the main gate.

If it turns out that anyone using the licensing office happens to need any form froms Immigration, don't forget there is an Immigration office in the KCAT (City Air Terminal) over in the Coex complex just behind the Hyundai dept store.
Derrek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: Useful info Reply with quote

Useful info for Americans seeking a driver's license:

http://usembassy.state.gov/seoul/wwwh3520.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: