Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Costco update
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Costco update Reply with quote

Since sojusucks has gone silent, I'll just mention that the food court has a new sandwich, barbeque beef brisket, for 4900won and it's not half bad.

Alas, Kirkland tuna is no more, following Kirkland salmon and turkey burgers. When I saw it at 9980 won last week, I knew the writing was on the wall. Also, the three tins of Christmas cookies for 14,000won (approximately) never showed up this year.

Costco now sells three types of Dong Won (IIRC) tuna and tiny cans of CJ "Alaska" salmon OEMed in Thailand. I'm wondering if the Kirkland canned chicken is next to go.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Costco update Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
Since sojusucks has gone silent, I'll just mention that the food court has a new sandwich, barbeque beef brisket, for 4900won and it's not half bad.

Alas, Kirkland tuna is no more, following Kirkland salmon and turkey burgers. When I saw it at 9980 won last week, I knew the writing was on the wall. Also, the three tins of Christmas cookies for 14,000won (approximately) never showed up this year.

Costco now sells three types of Dong Won (IIRC) tuna and tiny cans of CJ "Alaska" salmon OEMed in Thailand. I'm wondering if the Kirkland canned chicken is next to go.

Are you serious? F@k! That blows! Real tuna being replaced by dog won tuna. I bought some of the salmon because it said Alaska a couple of weeks ago. Hadn't opened it yet. Had a bunch of Korean crap written on it so I didn't know. It's canned in Thailand? Hope it doesn't taste like garbage. (I would have bought the frozen salmon, but it said farmed. No thanks. Lotte Mart use to sell these big frozen smoked non farmed ones that I thawed, cut up, and then re-froze in ziplock bags. Pretty good. But like all things Korean, they stop carrying it.) I hope in another 5 years, they're (Costco) not selling all Korean crap for everything? If the cheese goes, I'll have to find a new country to live in. WTH?
IamBabo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Tuna Reply with quote

Yeah, I was at the Costco in Gwangmyung and I couldn't believe the price either. It did look like it was being discontinued.
I don't like Dongwon Tuna, it's packed in oil too.

I got a BONE in a can once!
dairyairy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costco is open on Christmas and closed on New Year's Day.
Harpeau

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ has put out 135 g. X 6 cans of Alaskan Wild Salmon. I haven't tried it yet, but it is wild. 15,990 won
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
atwood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harpeau wrote:
CJ has put out 135 g. X 6 cans of Alaskan Wild Salmon. I haven't tried it yet, but it is wild. 15,990 won

OEMed from Thailand. Makes one wonder how Alaskan it is.
mr_thehorse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
Harpeau wrote:

must be real Alaskan flavor.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the food court has a new sandwich, barbeque beef brisket, for 4900won and it's not half bad.

I had my first one this morning and it's very good.It's chopped beef brisket in BBQ sauce and there's a layer of cole slaw. It's some good Texas-style eating.

On sale this week (-end) is Kirkland Vitamin C, Laughing Cow cubed cheese, Golden Grace wine, Utz cheese balls, and a few other things. On sale for one week,starting Monday, are 8 bottles of Starbucks Mocha Frappucino, Cow & Tree yogurt, Ca'bianca Moscato d'Asti, and Orion choc and berry pies. The week after, (Dec 30-Jan 5), will feature sales on: Kenwood electric kettles, black bean and soy milk, Harim frozen chicken tenders, (very good), McCormick citron and balsamic salad dressing and, ta da, 2,500 off the pizzas in the food court to make them 10,000 each. There's always a big crowd for the food court pizza sales.
atwood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dairyairy wrote:
Quote:
the food court has a new sandwich, barbeque beef brisket, for 4900won and it's not half bad.

I had my first one this morning and it's very good.It's chopped beef brisket in BBQ sauce and there's a layer of cole slaw. It's some good Texas-style eating.

On sale this week (-end) is Kirkland Vitamin C, Laughing Cow cubed cheese, Golden Grace wine, Utz cheese balls, and a few other things. On sale for one week,starting Monday, are 8 bottles of Starbucks Mocha Frappucino, Cow & Tree yogurt, Ca'bianca Moscato d'Asti, and Orion choc and berry pies. The week after, (Dec 30-Jan 5), will feature sales on: Kenwood electric kettles, black bean and soy milk, Harim frozen chicken tenders, (very good), McCormick citron and balsamic salad dressing and, ta da, 2,500 off the pizzas in the food court to make them 10,000 each. There's always a big crowd for the food court pizza sales.

Agree about the sandwich except the bun on mine was almost ice cold. That was the only drawback.

Have you ever had the McCormick salad dressing? I normally buy the caesar's dressing.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't had it, yet. It may be worth trying during the upcoming sale.

Video of the new sandwich
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_vznIjEuds
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_thehorse wrote:
atwood wrote:
Harpeau wrote:

must be real Alaskan flavor.

That's the one I bought at Costco. Hope it's good.
Drew345

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a video of the new Costco food court item: "plate of onions topped with mustard".
atwood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew345 wrote:
There should be a video of the new Costco food court item: "plate of onions topped with mustard".

The more creative mix in ketchup as well.

To make the video complete, it should include footage of the overworked onion chopper and whoever has to repair the onion dispenser, which really takes a beating, especially when it's empty.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro tip: ask for packets of relish at the counter and it adds a special something to the whole mix. They used to leave them out, but people were taking them home.

On a related note, I once saw a woman and her elderly mom mix up a huge plate of the stuff, divide it into two portions and put them into plastic bags, and put the bags in their purses before leaving. Nasty.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
Pro tip: ask for packets of relish at the counter and it adds a special something to the whole mix. They used to leave them out, but people were taking them home.

On a related note, I once saw a woman and her elderly mom mix up a huge plate of the stuff, divide it into two portions and put them into plastic bags, and put the bags in their purses before leaving. Nasty.

They sometimes ask for foil wrap at the pizza pickup window to take home the onions and mustard. You see people wearing nice clothes, with full shopping carts doing it and they're obviously not poor. They could buy plenty of onions and mustard. So, why do they do it? Is it a status thing? Getting one over on "The Man" by loading up on onions and mustard?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: