Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean student makes bomb hoax to avoid test
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ThingsComeAround



Joined: 07 Nov 2008

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Korean student makes bomb hoax to avoid test Reply with quote

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/harvard-university-student-bogus-bomb-threat-set-court-article-1.1551621

Quote:

Harvard University student, alleged bomb hoaxer, released on $100K bail
Eldo Kim, 20, said shrapnel bombs would go off at the school, prompting officials to evacuate four buildings on Monday. Kim was released on $100,000 bond on Wednesday and banned from the Ivy League campus. Harvard University officials said they were ‘saddened’ by the allegations.


Reminds me of a MAD poster who trolled these forums... Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
radcon



Joined: 23 May 2011

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid enough to get caught. I guess he wasn't Harvard material after all. Harvard needs to beef up their vetting process for Korean students. Apostilles, AIDS tests, etc etc...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Popocatepetl



Joined: 14 Oct 2013
Location: Winter in Korea: One Perfect day after another

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He assumed the police would let him off for being drunk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jvalmer



Joined: 06 Jun 2003

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
Harvard needs to beef up their vetting process for Korean students.

It wouldn't of mattered, because he entered as an American student. He's been an American citizen since 5th grade.

But Korean parents should learn from this. You push your kids too far, and they just might violently push pack. But for some reason I always think it will be some teenage golf phenom that will whack their father to death, and thereafter never ever go pro.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-Columbine, this wouldn't have even made the news beyond a minor blurb. I remember my freshman and sophomore years in H.S. we had bomb threats every month or so. Now its a huge scare. Dude should have realized that in the age of terrorism fake bomb threats are no longer stuff you can get rid of with a year's probation and the cops not seriously investigating. Now that's probably 10 years in the clink.

Anyways, nice to see the standard Dave's logic- Westerner does something, its a crazed individual. Korean does something, its obviously because of his culture. And also ignore the fact that he is an American citizen. Don't people here complain about how they will never be truly accepted by Korean society? Guess its the same everywhere.

Do we really have to go down this road every time?

Quote:
Harvard needs to beef up their vetting process for Korean students. Apostilles, AIDS tests, etc etc...


Poor comparison.

The government of Korea requires those things of people based on visa status, regardless of ethnicity. If you are a citizen of any of the English education countries, of any ethnic origin, and are applying for the E-2, you get the same treatment.

Now if you said "international students"...well then that would be sort of apples to apples.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ginormousaurus



Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Location: 700 Ft. Pulpit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

Anyways, nice to see the standard Dave's logic- Westerner does something, its a crazed individual. Korean does something, its obviously because of his culture.


SR, knowing what you know about Korean culture, specifically in regards to the overwhelming pressure that some parents put on their children to achieve scholastic excellence, is it really so illogical to assume that since he is in fact Korean, he, too, may likely be under extreme pressure because of his parents? And that his parents are motivated by cultural pressures as well?

I totally get your point about the hypocricy of "Dave's Logic", but in this instance does it make sense to ignore all we know and just completely scratch cultural influences off the list of suspected motivations for his crime?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ginormousaurus wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

Anyways, nice to see the standard Dave's logic- Westerner does something, its a crazed individual. Korean does something, its obviously because of his culture.


SR, knowing what you know about Korean culture, specifically in regards to the overwhelming pressure that some parents put on their children to achieve scholastic excellence, is it really so illogical to assume that since he is in fact Korean, he, too, may likely be under extreme pressure because of his parents? And that his parents are motivated by cultural pressures as well?

I totally get your point about the hypocricy of "Dave's Logic", but in this instance does it make sense to ignore all we know and just completely scratch cultural influences off the list of suspected motivations for his crime?


For all we know he could be some stoner and came up with this idea in a weed induced haze because he got messed up the night before and forgot about his final. Or he could be a hard studying kid and did this stuff without any pressure from his parents. Or yes, it could be because of his parents. But hard-driving parents, stressed kids and so on are not exclusive to Korea. Just saying, if someone commits a crime, the first thing I don't go looking into is their culture/ethnicity for an explanation.

Still, people can joke. It's a joke worthy story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harpeau



Joined: 01 Feb 2003
Location: In Hannam-dong, Seoul.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though it is very different, it does kind of remind me of the time back in Dec. 1987 at Concordia University in Montreal where the James Bay Hydro-electric plant had this huge outage, causing much of Quebec and much of the Eastern seaboard of the USA to lose power for several hours.

I was about to write a Final Exam at Sir George Williams Campus when all of the power went out. We proceeded outside frazzled and confused. Took the bus home down Sherbrook Avenue and it was pitch black outside. (Lots of looting going on, I imagine.)

In the school paper the following week, somebody reported hearing about a poor schmuck who didn't study for it running out of the building shouting thank you Jesus for answering my prayer and cancelling the exam, hallelujah!!!!

Pretty bizarre! Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Harpeau



Joined: 01 Feb 2003
Location: In Hannam-dong, Seoul.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post.

Last edited by Harpeau on Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
byrddogs



Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Location: Shanghai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Pre-Columbine, this wouldn't have even made the news beyond a minor blurb. I remember my freshman and sophomore years in H.S. we had bomb threats every month or so. Now its a huge scare. Dude should have realized that in the age of terrorism fake bomb threats are no longer stuff you can get rid of with a year's probation and the cops not seriously investigating. Now that's probably 10 years in the clink.

Anyways, nice to see the standard Dave's logic- Westerner does something, its a crazed individual. Korean does something, its obviously because of his culture. And also ignore the fact that he is an American citizen. Don't people here complain about how they will never be truly accepted by Korean society? Guess its the same everywhere.

Do we really have to go down this road every time?

Quote:
Harvard needs to beef up their vetting process for Korean students. Apostilles, AIDS tests, etc etc...


Poor comparison.

The government of Korea requires those things of people based on visa status, regardless of ethnicity. If you are a citizen of any of the English education countries, of any ethnic origin, and are applying for the E-2, you get the same treatment.

Now if you said "international students"...well then that would be sort of apples to apples.


Sure you did. The whole 'Dave's logic' standard applies to you as well, hypocrite.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byrddogs wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
Pre-Columbine, this wouldn't have even made the news beyond a minor blurb. I remember my freshman and sophomore years in H.S. we had bomb threats every month or so. Now its a huge scare. Dude should have realized that in the age of terrorism fake bomb threats are no longer stuff you can get rid of with a year's probation and the cops not seriously investigating. Now that's probably 10 years in the clink.

Anyways, nice to see the standard Dave's logic- Westerner does something, its a crazed individual. Korean does something, its obviously because of his culture. And also ignore the fact that he is an American citizen. Don't people here complain about how they will never be truly accepted by Korean society? Guess its the same everywhere.

Do we really have to go down this road every time?

Quote:
Harvard needs to beef up their vetting process for Korean students. Apostilles, AIDS tests, etc etc...


Poor comparison.

The government of Korea requires those things of people based on visa status, regardless of ethnicity. If you are a citizen of any of the English education countries, of any ethnic origin, and are applying for the E-2, you get the same treatment.

Now if you said "international students"...well then that would be sort of apples to apples.


Sure you did. The whole 'Dave's logic' standard applies to you as well, hypocrite.


Yes, every so often, someone would call in a bomb threat. About once a month and we'd have to stand around outside for about 30 minutes before they'd send us back in. Sometimes they caught the kids, sometimes they didn't. Those that did usually got a couple weeks suspension and had to do some community service. But this was pre-Columbine so no one went ballistic over it. That changed after Columbine. The next time it happened they really came down hard and then it stopped.

And yeah, we looked at the people who did it as pranksters. If the kid was white or black or Chaldean or Asian we didn't attribute everything to their culture.

If the incident had involved a Puerto Rican-American student, would you have blamed Puerto Rican parenting or Puerto Rican culture?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ginormousaurus



Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Location: 700 Ft. Pulpit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

If the incident had involved a Puerto Rican-American student, would you have blamed Puerto Rican parenting or Puerto Rican culture?


No.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
byrddogs



Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Location: Shanghai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
If the incident had involved a Puerto Rican-American student, would you have blamed Puerto Rican parenting or Puerto Rican culture?


I personally wouldn't have. You, on the other hand I'm not so sure about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Adventurer



Joined: 28 Jan 2006

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
Stupid enough to get caught. I guess he wasn't Harvard material after all. Harvard needs to beef up their vetting process for Korean students. Apostilles, AIDS tests, etc etc...



He was not a Korean student. He came to the US when he was in the 5th grade; he's a naturalized citizen. That makes him an American.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
radcon



Joined: 23 May 2011

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adventurer wrote:
radcon wrote:
Stupid enough to get caught. I guess he wasn't Harvard material after all. Harvard needs to beef up their vetting process for Korean students. Apostilles, AIDS tests, etc etc...



He was not a Korean student. He came to the US when he was in the 5th grade; he's a naturalized citizen. That makes him an American.


At one point prior to the 5th grade he wasn't an American, he was Korean. I guess whatever beauracracy he had to navigate at that time to become a citizen was not effective in predicting this event. He slipped through the system.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International