Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sugar causes brain damage?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Sugar causes brain damage? Reply with quote

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/world/2013/12/182_148340.html

This isn't the first time I heard about bad effect of high glycemic index foods on the mind. Wow. Really scary stuff. I should really try to eat strictly healthy from now.

Government funded research has trying to been trying to prove for a while that marijuana could lead to a drop in IQ, but has been unsuccessful so far. (The exception would be young people whose brains are still developing, but for them alcohol is even worse in this department apparently.) Wouldn't it be weird if it turned out pot doesn't cause brain damage but sugar does. It certainly looks that way.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're telling me the candy cigarettes I used to eat and puff on as a child are more damaging than marijuana cigarettes?
Kepler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has nothing to do with the glycemic index. Junk food actually has a lower GI than sources of complex carbs such as a white rice, potatoes, and bread. That's because a lot of the carbs in junk food are fructose. Fructose can't immediately affect blood sugar levels when it enters the body. It has to be converted to glucose before that can happen.

A UCLA study reached a similar conclusion about a high fructose diet:

"A new UCLA rat study is the first to show how a diet steadily high in fructose slows the brain, hampering memory and learning — and how omega-3 fatty acids can counteract the disruption....

"Sources of fructose in the Western diet include cane sugar (sucrose) and high-fructose corn syrup, an inexpensive liquid sweetener. The syrup is widely added to processed foods, including soft drinks, condiments, applesauce and baby food. The average American consumes roughly 47 pounds of cane sugar and 35 pounds of high-fructose corn syrup per year, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture....

" 'We're less concerned about naturally occurring fructose in fruits, which also contain important antioxidants,' explained Gomez-Pinilla, who is also a member of UCLA's Brain Research Institute and Brain Injury Research Center. 'We're more concerned about the fructose in high-fructose corn syrup, which is added to manufactured food products as a sweetener and preservative.' "
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/this-is-your-brain-on-sugar-ucla-233992.aspx
Kepler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fructose consumption resulted in decreased brain activity in one study:

Quote:
Interestingly, the researchers discovered that the "cortical control areas" surrounding the hypothalamus responded very differently to each substance:

Glucose significantly raised the level of neural activity for about 20 minutes

Fructose reduced neural activity in the area for about the same amount of time

Saline had no effect on neural activity

Fructose is much more likely to be converted to body fat than other forms of carbohydrates.
Quote:
Here's a summary of the main points:

*After eating fructose, 100 percent of the metabolic burden rests on your liver. With glucose, your liver has to break down only 20 percent.

*Every cell in your body, including your brain, utilizes glucose. Therefore, much of it is "burned up" immediately after you consume it. By contrast, fructose is turned into free fatty acids (FFAs), VLDL (the damaging form of cholesterol), and triglycerides, which get stored as fat.

*The fatty acids created during fructose metabolism accumulate as fat droplets in your liver and skeletal muscle tissues, causing insulin resistance and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). Insulin resistance progresses to metabolic syndrome and type II diabetes.

*Fructose is the most lipophilic carbohydrate. In other words, fructose converts to activated glycerol (g-3-p), which is directly used to turn FFAs into triglycerides. The more g-3-p you have, the more fat you store. Glucose does not do this.

*When you eat 120 calories of glucose, less than one calorie is stored as fat. 120 calories of fructose results in 40 calories being stored as fat. Consuming fructose is essentially consuming fat!

*The metabolism of fructose by your liver creates a long list of waste products and toxins, including a large amount of uric acid, which drives up blood pressure and causes gout.

*Glucose suppresses the hunger hormone ghrelin and stimulates leptin, which suppresses your appetite. Fructose has no effect on ghrelin and interferes with your brain's communication with leptin, resulting in overeating.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/02/28/new-study-confirms-fructose-affects-your-brain-very-differently-than-glucose.aspx

White sugar is often added to Korean dishes such as in the marinade for meats. I don't know if it's enough to worry about.

Steve Jobs was a fruitarian for much of his life. He liked fruit so much that he named his computer after a fruit. He died of cancer in his fifties. Cancer cells thrive on fructose. So even natural sources of fructose can be harmful if you're consuming them in large amounts.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sugar causes brain damage? Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Wow. Really scary stuff. I should really try to eat strictly healthy from now.

Yup, but doesn't surprise at this point.

Weston Price observed the devastating effects of sugar back in the 1930s, and suggested mental degeneration was one of the symptoms. John Yudkin wrote "Pure White and Deadly" in the 1970s. Yet somehow society still didn't get it. But in recent years there's been so much new research, books, etc pointing to sugar as the cause of darn near everything. And it's interesting, because that's actually what Yudkin said back in 1972; when you list all the problems sugar causes people think you're nuts, because it's at the root of so many things. Fructose is really nasty stuff too.

Anyhow, wrapping up 2013; this year I ate zero sugar. Let me just say it was *a lot* of work, you basically need to cook all your own food since they sneak it into everything. Eat out is very tricky, even in Korea. Absolutely noticed a cognitive boost which showed itself in my work.
Fox

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The office lady just put a cup of unrequested sugared coffee on my desk. I guess it's brain damage for me.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kepler wrote:
It has nothing to do with the glycemic index.

Fructose and sugar is nasty stuff, but starch-heavy diets might not be that great either. Eating loads of starch (beyond immediate energy requirements) tends to increase triglycerides and blood sugar, and in this study they looked at the connection between high triglycerides and cognitive impairment.

Basically it looks like the stupid mice had higher triglycerides, when they used drugs to artificially lower their triglycerides the mice got smarter, and when they used to drugs in raise triglycerides they mice got stupider.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2329289/
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Americans consume too much sugar, and our collective sweet tooth is killing us.

So says a study published Monday by the journal JAMA Internal Medicine. It finds that 71.4% of U.S. adults get more than the recommended 10% of their daily calories from added sugars in foods and drinks – and that higher levels of sugar consumption are correlated with higher risk of death due to cardiovascular disease.

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-added-sugars-death-risk-heart-disease-20140203,0,6743932.story#axzz2sJOIgkCo
ghostrider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have mentioned to in a few other posts, I was debilitatingly afraid of what sugar would to do my health for years. It was the main reason I never fully trusted myself to eat intuitively. The taste of sugar sent me into a panic. I thought every small taste of sugar was ruining my body, insulin, hormones and weight. I truly convinced myself I did not like sugar.

Absurd.

This ‘sugar is evil’ theory however, is fully supported by mainstream media and doctors, not to mention the smaller sects of diet extremism (think: some sects of Paleo, some sects of Raw Veganism, some sects of GAPs, …. am I making this sound like Religious Fundamentalism? Good.). There was a lot of buzz about Robert Lustig’s lecture on the evils of sugar. “Experts” are even wary of fructose: the sugar in fruit.
http://thefuckitdiet.com/2012/06/11/in-defense-of-sugar-part-1/

I don't think refined sugar is so bad. It's just pure glucose and fructose- the exact kinds of calories that are in a lot of 100% natural foods. It's even necessary for good health. What do you think your brain and muscles burn for fuel? Blood sugar.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://thefuckitdiet.com/badass-coaching/

That stupid blog proves nothing. It's one person (a nobody)'s opinion. (It is a money making tool as well.)
Stain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no need to debate this. This is an open and shut case. I'm not a doctor or scientist mind you, but I think we can all agree that snorting sugar causes brain damage.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much of something is bad for me? I never would've guessed!!
World Traveler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea that eating too much sugar is bad for you isn’t anything new, but eating a lot of sugar over an extended period of time causes neurological problems. High consumption of sugar affects your memory and your ability to learn. Also, too much sugar in your blood slows down your brain cells’ use of insulin to break down sugar to aid in processing thoughts and emotions, leading to a decrease in brain activity.

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/foods-avoid-10-foods-that-make-you-less-smart.html
drydell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was a pretty good BBC Horizon documentary recently.. Sugar Vs Fat

They put identical twins (both doctors in similar health) one on a high carb high sugar diet and the other on an Atkins style very low-carb high-fat diet for 1 month and ran some tests during and at the end of the diets..

some experiment results were as you'd expect - some surprising..

Mental ability test - high carb was better results ...
Satiety test - low carb better results..
High level exercise - High carb thrashed low carb..

At the end...

Greater weight loss with low carb
but... low carb weight loss most was from cannibalized muscle...

cholesterol - little change on either diet

one of the diets resulted in more insulin sensitivity - one caused nearly pre-diabetes.

result was.... low carb diet (no sugar) caused near pre-diabetic state. High sugar diet moved away from diabetic markers...

The one diet the doctors said "get off it now".. was the low carb one..

interesting..
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think it's best to follow the Jack Lalanne philosophy:
"If man made it, don't eat it."
I try to eat a lot of vegetables, nuts, and seeds. Sugar is crap for my body. Same with processed meats and other processed foods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: