Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work Release, Future Visas, and Unethical Assignments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjparadox

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Work Release, Future Visas, and Unethical Assignments Reply with quote

Hello!

Does anyone know of any problems securing a future visa if I quit my job prematurely and am unable to get a work release?

I ask because I am really uncomfortable with my job, I have a small, cramped, terrible apartment, many hours expected of me in excess of my contract hours, and most significantly I have been asked to do some outright unethical if not illegal assignments.

For example, my boss's daughter is attending an American university and I was asked to WRITE her final exam essay 12 hours before it was due. The instructions were simply "Follow the prompt. Make sure you include all your sources at the end" there wasn't even a pretense of making this a collaborative effort as with tutoring. I refused to do it but... things are now uncomfortable.

Now, I really want to go teach in Thailand for a year or two where I have friends living in Bangkok and it is easier to get a university position. It'll be less money but soooooo much less stress. My contract states that I have to give 2 months notice, but I would leave earlier if I could do so without consequences. That said, I would still like to eventually teach at a Korean university and I don't want to put myself in a position where I am endangering future visas.

Can anyone give some advice?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave the day after payday and don't worry about looking back.
You are not an indentured servant and cannot be forced to work against your will NOR are you legally required to give any notice.

AFTER your current visa expires there will be no repercussions.
You can return on a new E2 without hassle.

That said however, UNTIL your current visa expires you will NOT be able to take other employment in Korea (you won't get another E2 until your current one expires).

And don't be in any great rush to head for Thailand.

It is the fading days of the 2nd term (term ending in about 60 days followed by a couple months of vacation time and the new academic year (and jobs related to said 2014-15 academic year) won't be starting until mid May.

The weather may be warmer than the weather in Korea but you can lose a lot of coin waiting for those 5 months to roll by for May to roll around and a new job to start).

pjparadox

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. My current contract officially ends on June 6 so it sounds like the normal schools in Thailand will be opening up at about the same time my job here concludes. That said, everything I've read seems to indicate that there are schools in Thailand hiring year round.

Honestly, I just want to get out of an uncomfortable situation. I also want be closer to my Thai friends and GF. Living in Daegu has been really lonely for me.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
Leave the day after payday and don't worry about looking back.
That said however, UNTIL your current visa expires you will NOT be able to take other employment in Korea (you won't get another E2 until your current one expires).

I looked into that at immigration because the topic keeps coming up on expat forums. From what I was told, it was never a regulation. It was actually just a policy recommended to immigration offices about a year or so ago but after half a year they were recommended to disregard it.

I don't know how widely it was enforced or how many people were affected by it but it definitely wasn't universally applied because I know of two people who were able to get a new visa after that policy was originally put in action.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: