Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching kids even the most basic of table manners.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smithington

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Teaching kids even the most basic of table manners. Reply with quote

I made the mistake today of bringing toffees for the winter camp students. Christ Almighty. My sister's dog doesn't make that much eating noise. And when I instruct them to try eating quietly I get looks of confusion. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree in Korea I guess. So, I've decided to never bring snacks for my students again, and will confiscate any snacks they bring to class. They will be returned as they leave the classroom. Until Korean parents can successfully drag themselves out of the middle ages and teach their kids some basic table manners my classroom has become a "eating-free zone".

Political correctness be damned. Korean parents need to teach themselves, and their kids, that 5000 years of 'civilization' demands a bit more from them.
Daelim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It pisses me off too!

But, it's up there with bowing as part of the culture here and it will never change. They smack their lips as a way of saying it's delicious - so I was told Wink
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I taught at a hagwon, snacks were allowed, but my classroom was a transporter to America, so American eating habits (obesity jokes aside) were the rule. Mouths were closed when chewing. A few kids cried when they had to spit out their candy, but they caught on. I showed videos of cows chewing cud and pigs eating to emphasize the rule, and told them that in the US, chewing with one's mouth open made people think that you were like those animals.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are you Smithington? The last 3 threads I've read of yours were complaining about kids crossing the street, people slurping their noodles and now kids eating their toffees too loudly.

You sound like the grumpy old guy who sits on his front porch and shouts at kids whenever their baseball lands in his lawn.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today a group of young kids shouted hello at me as I was walking down the street. One yelled, "My name is 'What the F*ck?!" at me. That actually made me mad, but I kept walking without reacting. Some kids have horrible manners/little respect for others, and it seems to be getting worse lately. Korean kids = respectful is a myth. (Some are. Many are not. The number in the not category is growing for sure.)
Deja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to show them that "Western manners" are better than "Korean manners".
Not doing that shows you as just another fanatic defending his/her beliefs as if nothing else is better.

Just because you find it better, doesn't make it right. Even though I frankly agree on this one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: