Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can an American find a teaching job in Korea with no degree?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bearcold

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Can an American find a teaching job in Korea with no degree? Reply with quote

Hi all.

I am one of the few dual citizens of the US and Korea and my wife is just an American girl born in America. She applied for her F6 visa in the States but we are worried because she might have a hard time finding a job in Korea.

I was born to Korean parents in America and my family moved to Korea when I was four. I grew up in Korea until I was in my 8th grade and I went to Seattle to go to high school and college. I heard the news that Korea now allows dual citizenship in some certain circumstances if you finish your military service so I came to Korea to serve in the military in 2010.

I and my wife went to the same high school and she liked me because she liked Korean songs. I went to UW after I graduated from high school but my wife doesn't even have a high school diploma because she went to juvy several times for her runaway records, underage drinking and skipping school. We got married in 2009. She kinda got pissed when I came to Korea to serve in the military but that was the only way I could keep my dual citizenship. I went back to Seattle after I finished my military service in 2012 but I could not manage to get my degree so I just came back to Korea last October (in 2013) to help my father's business in Korea. I am also preparing to be a police officer in Korea. I thought about becoming a cop in the US because they are trying to hire many Asian American cops in LA county in CA but I think my English is not good enough to understand what the heck is going on the radio.

Anyways, we applied for my wife's F6 visa so that we can live together in Korea but I wonder what she can do here.

Is it possible to find a teaching job for my wife if she doesn't even have a high school diploma? I mean, because I have my Korean citizenship, she can get her F6 visa and she doesn't need any sponsorship from a hak-won. Also, she doesn't have to qualify for her E2 Teaching Visa. She can basically have any jobs with no restrictions in Korea but my question is are they ever going to hire her as an English teacher in Korea? She doesn't need to make lots of money. She used to work at Walmart and Safeway in the US, so she is kinda used to making like $1000~$1200 a month. As long as they pay her like 1 million Korean won ($1000) a month, we are ok with that. If they provide us a small apartment (or villa in Korean), she can even work for like 500,000 won.

About my wife.

She is a white American woman. I'm 24 and she is 21 now. She just talks like a normal white American girl. She doesn't have any southern or African American accents. She went to juvy several times when she was younger but they are all like runaway or underage drinking charges. She doesn't have any felony records. She said she went to jail once for fighting with her friend while I was serving in Korea but the charge was dropped so she has no problem with getting her Korean visa.

When I asked her if she thinks she can teach English in Korea, she said she can't teach older students but she can teach kindergarteners or work at a day care center.

She can speak and read English with no problem at all but she makes many spelling and grammatical mistakes when we txt each other or talk on Kakao talk. She txts me like "my mom don't" or "my brother don't" and she writes "sense" when she wants to say "since." She always texts me like "ever sense you were gone........"

She doesn't speak Korean either. She always listens to Korean songs but she doesn't know what the lyrics mean.

So I really need your help. We desperately want to live together but I can't babysit her in Korea. How can she make minimum $1000 a month in Korea? Are there any other jobs she can find other than teaching jobs?

Please help.

Last edited by bearcold on Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:25 pm; edited 5 times in total
Hokie21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't tell if serious.....
El Bandito

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new troll?
bearcold

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Bandito wrote:
A new troll?

I thought someone was gonna say this

But sorry. Im not a troll. Everything is true
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can she find work teaching English = yes.

Is it legal = no. Without the degree she cannot be registered with the MOE as a teacher of foreign languages.

Can she find other work as a native speaker of English, not having visa issues and not requiring registration with the MOE = certainly yes (subject of course to her having the necessary skills to do other work).

Hokie21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by Hokie21 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
bearcold

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:

Is it legal = no. Without the degree she cannot be registered with the MOE as a teacher of foreign languages.

Can she find other work as a native speaker of English, not having visa issues and not requiring registration with the MOE = certainly yes (subject of course to her having the necessary skills to do other work).

Do u have to be registered with the MOE even if you work for a private hakwon or day care center?
bearcold

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
her criminal past makes her sound like a bit of a loose cannon.

She has no felonies. She just did some sily things that are not even crimes if you comit them as an adult. Underage drinking, running away, and skipping school are not even crimes in many other countries. They put you in juvy for these only in the US. They don't even put children in handcuffs for these stuff in Korea. Also, all her juvenile records are sealed now. Her misdemeanor battery charge that I mentioned was dropped so she basically has no criminal record now.
Lucas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that your wife has anger issues.

Korea will magnify these issues x 1000!
CentralCali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's assume you're not trolling. Now that you've gotten the information for your wife, what's your plan for becoming a police officer in South Korea? I've a close friend in Korea whose brother just graduated from university and found the entrance examination for KNP to be a bit more than a walk in the park.
radcon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post of the year so far.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearcold wrote:
ttompatz wrote:

Do u have to be registered with the MOE even if you work for a private hakwon or day care center?

yuppers
bearcold

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
Let's assume you're not trolling. Now that you've gotten the information for your wife, what's your plan for becoming a police officer in South Korea? I've a close friend in Korea whose brother just graduated from university and found the entrance examination for KNP to be a bit more than a walk in the park.

I bought some books to study. You don't have to graduate from university to take that exam in Korea. As long as you have a high school diploma or 검정고시 (Korean version of GED), you can write that exam. The Korean police offer NO college incentive pay or whatsoever so your degree is useless unless you graduate from Korean National Police University.
ThePoet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure she could get a job working in the textile or electronics factories on assembly lines with no university degree
modernseoul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bar and Restaurant work wouldn't be difficult to find in Seoul. But if you're in a smaller town or city it might be.
Also many companies hire English speakers to do basic office roles. However her competition would be hardworking / diligent South East Asians Wives.
Legally there are jobs she can do on a F6 visa, but without a degree English Teaching and other well paid jobs aren't possible. If she learns Korean then her options will greatly increase.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: