Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

North Korean leader fed naked uncle to starving dogs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sector7G

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: North Korean leader fed naked uncle to starving dogs Reply with quote

Ok, I am not saying I actually believe this, but the Indian Express is reporting that:

"North Korean dictator Kim Jong-Un sentenced his uncle to be eaten alive by a pack of 120 wild dogs in a savage punishment for treachery, it has been claimed. "

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/north-korean-leader-fed-naked-uncle-to-starving-dogs-report-says/1215323/

But even if he was not killed in this manner, one thing is for sure. He had his own uncle- his paternal aunt's husband- executed. That's some cold stuff!

I read a bio last summer about Peter the Great of Russia, who had his son Alexei tortured and killed. This after Peter had enticed Alexei back from Naples, swearing that he would not be punished. Cold!!

I am also reminded of the South Korean woman who was visiting one of the NK designated tour areas a few year ago and was shot and killed by NK soldiers because she strayed out of bounds. She could have been related to them, for all they know. Cold!!!
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: North Korean leader fed naked uncle to starving dogs Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
Ok, I am not saying I actually believe this, but

The source given is a Chinese newspaper. So it might have been a rumour from a north Korean border crosser.

Its believable I guess. Going on past form.

Quote:
That's some cold stuff!

Humans are more likely to be cruel if they're acting on orders from an authority, because they're removed from responsibility.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: North Korean leader fed naked uncle to starving dogs Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
Sector7G wrote:
Ok, I am not saying I actually believe this, but

The source given is a Chinese newspaper. So it might have been a rumour from a north Korean border crosser.

Its believable I guess. Going on past form.

Quote:
That's some cold stuff!

Humans are more likely to be cruel if they're acting on orders from an authority, because they're removed from responsibility.
Well yeah, that was my point. Are you suggesting that Kim Jong-Un is not calling the shots? There are some who think he is not.

Otherwise, only the soldiers who shot the tourist can use the "only obeying orders" excuse.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a reputation when someone can write up a story like that and it has the whiff of plausibility and "truthiness". Someone could write that the guy was given the "1000 cuts" or trampled beneath 12 elephants ala Sideshow Bob and it would have the ring of truth to it.

To top it off, it was blistering cold out. Cold!
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DP

Last edited by Steelrails on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Sector7G

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
What a reputation when someone can write up a story like that and it has the whiff of plausibility and "truthiness". Someone could write that the guy was given the "1000 cuts" or trampled beneath 12 elephants ala Sideshow Bob and it would have the ring of truth to it.

To top it off, it was blistering cold out. Cold!
Well, not sure about Kim Jong-Un's personal reputation, but you have a point about NK in general.

Here is what one blogger wrote:

We know so little about what really happens inside the country, and especially inside the leader's head, that very little is disprovable. But the things we do know are often so bizarre that just about anything can seem possible.

As for Kim Jong-Un, I still say it does not matter the method - having your own uncle executed is COLD!!!
jvalmer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
As for Kim Jong-Un, I still say it does not matter the method - having your own uncle executed is COLD!!!

Technically an uncle by marriage (so not so bad IMO... lol), his aunt was his blood relative. In Korean there are terms for relatives that lets you know if they are related by blood or not.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
Sector7G wrote:

Technically an uncle by marriage (so not so bad IMO... lol), his aunt was his blood relative. In Korean there are terms for relatives that lets you know if they are related by blood or not.

Plus, I would wonder if there was really a meaningful romantic attachment between the uncle and the aunt, or just a marriage of convenience meant to cement a political alliance, as in old royal families.

Anyway, I read somewhere that the story of him being tossed to dogs has been proven a hoax.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slate

It was apparently The Singapore Times that took it mainstream.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
Sector7G wrote:

Ok, then he had his paternal aunt's spouse executed....then again, maybe Kim Jong-Un was doing her a favor.
Fox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
jvalmer wrote:
Sector7G wrote:

Ok, then he had his paternal aunt's spouse executed....then again, maybe Kim Jong-Un was doing her a favor.

Having seen a photograph of the woman, maybe she was doing him a favor.

Okay, that's not fair. I'm sure she has a lovely personality.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure that I believe that story. But I'm not sure how much sympathy we should have for the uncle. If he was a high ranking official he was likely the architect of a great deal of suffering inflicted on others. Executions, torture, imprisonment and widespread oppression and terror were probably high on his resume. Would anyone have shed a tear if Hitler had turned on Himmler and had him executed? No, so we shouldn't feel so sorry for "the uncle".
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Not sure that I believe that story. But I'm not sure how much sympathy we should have for the uncle. If he was a high ranking official he was likely the architect of a great deal of suffering inflicted on others. Executions, torture, imprisonment and widespread oppression and terror were probably high on his resume. Would anyone have shed a tear if Hitler had turned on Himmler and had him executed? No, so we shouldn't feel so sorry for "the uncle".

Himmler? No. Donitz, Rommel, Guderian, or Udet? Yes.
Leslie Cheswyck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like us all to take this moment to remember Ernest Borgnine (instead).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqJHqXERslM
yodanole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo, LC. The Death of Ragnar....

As far as the uncle, now THAT is how you handle a family dispute. If my cousin could read, I'd be worried...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: