Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who pays to fix a toilet?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falldownstumble

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Who pays to fix a toilet? Reply with quote

My toilet is not working properly. I told my landlord, and she said she'd call a plumber, but that I have to pay because it's my responsibility.

Of course this notion goes against everything I believe to be true about renting an apartment: you're paying for facilities that work, including a toilet that flushes normal things down it. Doesn't work, landlord pays to fix it. RIGHT?

Seoul Global Center suggested that the CAUSE of the toilet not working has to be checked and determined to be my fault or not before the landlord would pay for it, but she seemed uncertain. Other landlord repair inquiries on Dave's seem to suggest that landlord should pay for most repairs in general.

Has anybody had an experience with a toilet not working and got (or not got) their landlord to pay for repair? If I didn't flush anything crazy, should it be her responsibility to repair it?

Thanks for your input.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the toilet doing?
falldownstumble

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not flushing...
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not flushing because it feels like the chain inside the tank is broken? That's a simple fix.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it gurgle?
falldownstumble

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are interesting questions, and I appreciate them and will certainly look into the logistics of repairing the toilet simply on my own. Thanks!

If anyone could also offer some insight into the who-should-pay query, I would appreciate that as well.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really want to go through all of this legal mumbo-jumbo just to clip a chain on safety pin? Very Happy
falldownstumble

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you must know, the toilet is severely clogged and I have tried every Googleable solution to fix the clog. It's not one of the problems with the tank. Thanks though.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Who pays to fix a toilet? Reply with quote

falldownstumble wrote:
My toilet is not working properly. I told my landlord, and she said she'd call a plumber, but that I have to pay because it's my responsibility.

Of course this notion goes against everything I believe to be true about renting an apartment: you're paying for facilities that work, including a toilet that flushes normal things down it. Doesn't work, landlord pays to fix it. RIGHT?

Fortunately for me, I only ran into that "tenant's responsibility" philosophy one time in my three years in Korea, and that was right before I left my last apartment there.

It was a fairly modern and new apartment, and one of its best features was a large, luxurious, overhead, shower head. One day I had come home to find it had fallen off and was lying on the shower stall floor. It had corroded, which was strange for something so new.

I don't want to make any sweeping statements about the norm, but this particular owner was pretty adamant that in Korea it's the tenant's responsibility. I was just as adamant about not paying, and told him(through my Uni professor boss) that he's lucky I did not get hit and injured by the thing, as it had some weight to it.

Anyway, my boss smoothed things over for me. I was leaving anyway, but didn't want him to get stuck with the bill.

I agree it's a crazy philosophy.
falldownstumble

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like if I wanted to deal with this kind of sh*t I would buy a house, right?

Thanks for your story!
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, here's what you do. Go out and get some rubber gloves. Put the glove on and stick your hand way up the pipe. You have to clear the poop or more likely all the paper you used out of the entrance hole to the drainage pipe. It's not hard. You would normally use a snake, but you're in Korea and finding one is not easy. Just do what I say, then take a shower after you unclog the pipe. It's so easy.
archaeologist5

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You are responsible, the landlady is correct. Now Some Koreans may be nice and pay it for you but the general cultural rule is the tenant is responsible because they are the ones using the apartment and its equipment.
schwa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seoul Global Center got it right: it depends.

Toilet & sink problems are generally on the tenant. If the cause lies with the building's plumbing infrastructure the owner pays, but a clog is likely your fault & therefore your responsibility.

[Likewise frozen pipe damage falls on the tenant -- be careful, folks, if you take a trip this winter.]

Electrical problems follow the same pattern. Tenants are responsible for fixing or replacing light fixtures, switches, etc, but the landlord pays for deeper wiring malfunctions.

Boiler repairs are always on the owner's dime.

This is based on personal experience in numerous rental units here. No idea if or where its written down but these are the conventions Korean tenants abide by too.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved into an apartment once, and the faucet and showerhead were broken. I had the landlord fix them, as it was clear that I hadn't broken them.

You clogged a toilet. You're responsible. Just pay for it. It's not as expensive as back home, anyway, and the plumber will be available the same day.
optik404

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really expect the landlord to come and fix a clogged toilet for you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: