Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who pays to fix a toilet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falldownstumble

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, schwa, that was helpful.

I'm not sure why there needs to be a condescending attitude about my clogged toilet like I'm some kind of idiot, massive dumper, or person who expects everything to be handed to them for wanting the landlord to fix it. Have you never heard of a poor-quality, OLD toilet, with water pressure that's WAY too low to flush things through the pipes properly, leading to standard use of the toilet causing a clog that is irreparable without professional equipment? If it's never happened to you, congratulations, but it certainly does happen.

If you don't have anything useful to say, why bother? It's Dave's, that's why.
optik404

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know that the toilet is old and the water pressure is low, you probably shouldn't be putting any tissue in there.
mr_thehorse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Who pays to fix a toilet? Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
falldownstumble wrote:
My toilet is not working properly. I told my landlord, and she said she'd call a plumber, but that I have to pay because it's my responsibility.

Of course this notion goes against everything I believe to be true about renting an apartment: you're paying for facilities that work, including a toilet that flushes normal things down it. Doesn't work, landlord pays to fix it. RIGHT?

Fortunately for me, I only ran into that "tenant's responsibility" philosophy one time in my three years in Korea, and that was right before I left my last apartment there.

It was a fairly modern and new apartment, and one of its best features was a large, luxurious, overhead, shower head. One day I had come home to find it had fallen off and was lying on the shower stall floor. It had corroded, which was strange for something so new.

I don't want to make any sweeping statements about the norm, but this particular owner was pretty adamant that in Korea it's the tenant's responsibility. I was just as adamant about not paying, and told him(through my Uni professor boss) that he's lucky I did not get hit and injured by the thing, as it had some weight to it.

Anyway, my boss smoothed things over for me. I was leaving anyway, but didn't want him to get stuck with the bill.

I agree it's a crazy philosophy.

Alot of these nice apartments have rather shoddy construction. Confused My bathroom is falling apart, and my toilet can't handle American floaters.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't say that the toilet was old. You said that it didn't work.

My husband once snapped the toilet brush head off at our old place, trying to unclog the toilet after some wet wipes were flushed and got backed up. The head got jammed, and I had to call the plumber. The guy laughed, then asked why my husband was cleaning the bathroom, saying that it was "woman home work." I told him that I cook and tidy the apartment, but bathroom cleaning is for men. Apparently my Korean friends who are wives have the same arrangement with their husbands, so it isn't that uncommon.

I hope everything works out.
EZE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three years ago, I moved into an apartment and the toilet was full of dissolved do-do. Luckily and surprisingly, the toilet flushed fine and the water was crystal clear after a flush or two, albeit with a dirty bowl that had to be cleaned with a toilet brush. It's anyone's guess why the person before didn't just flush it. It's too bad Unsolved Mysteries doesn't still air on TV.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe your craps are just too big. You could try pinching it off, flushing and the finishing the other half later.
jazzmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP - what i've heard is that if the problem occurs within three months of you moving into the apartment, then you have a good case for the landlord footing the bill. After the three months it's up to the tenant to deal with problems similar to the one you are experiencing. If the problem is major and related to the long term endurance of the apartment, then the landlord should pay.
For this problem I would pay for it myself. It may also be an idea to refrain from flushing your toilet paper.
mr_thehorse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:
Maybe your craps are just too big. You could try pinching it off, flushing and the finishing the other half later.

lol.
EZE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:

Sort of like a "courtesy flush." Very Happy

That reminds me of something that happened at work about 15 years ago. Where I worked at the time, those of us in management were nerdy college grads, but the workforce was as blue collar as it gets. One of the workers was taking a dump and the janitor told him, "Hey man, how's about a courtesy flush?" The janitor's wish wasn't granted, so he started spraying some air freshener over the door or wall of the stall. That pissed off the guy in the stall and he came busting out of there with his pants around his ankles, and he assaulted the janitor. We heard the commotion and went in there and didn't yet know the context of the situation. It looked like an attempted man-on-man rape or something. Laughing
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would unequivocally demand a high-tech warming seat toilet so I could enjoy my special alone time.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those bidet seats with built in warmers are awesome. Using a regular toilet seems barbaric after getting one. It's akin to comparing a regular toilet to a hole in the ground in an outhouse.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
Those bidet seats with built in warmers are awesome. Using a regular toilet seems barbaric after getting one. It's akin to comparing a regular toilet to a hole in the ground in an outhouse.

See? NYC gal rocks.
Jodami

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just refuse to pay rent till it gets fixed. Simple.as.
yodanole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it boils down to who wants it fixed more. I'd rather be able to sit on my throne than stand on my dignity, especially in this climate at this time of year. A clogged toilet is not expensive enough for this to be about money.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a good landlord, him. If it's a slumlord, you. (IE Do you live in a new building or an old one?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: