Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is F4 possible when I'm NOT listed on the family register?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muffinbreak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Is F4 possible when I'm NOT listed on the family register? Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

First time poster - just had my account activated.

I've had a few visits to the consulate (and calls to other consulates around the world) as well as calling Korean immigration and I seem to be in this unclear position.

I was born in the United Kingdom to parents who were still Korean citizens at the time. I was granted U.K citizenship and my parents were able to obtain Korean citizenship a few years later. But because they were Korean citizens at the time, I've only just been informed that I am technically a Korean citizen as well.

Because I didn't renounce my Korean citizenship (I didn't know I had it as I've lived in the U.K my entire life) by my eighteenth birthday, the Ministry of Justice won't allow me to renounce it now because of the new laws that were passed in 2010 relating to military evasion concerns.

Now the tricky part comes in here because all the threads on this forum who seem to be in a similar situation WERE LISTED on the Korean family register (ho-juk) whereas I am NOT LISTED on the register. So technically speaking again, the Korean government doesn't know I exist.

None of the consulates know what to do, nor the immigration department. Has anyone come across a similar case or would know how the law works in my case?

Thakns
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: