Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10 years went by fast...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: 10 years went by fast... Reply with quote

Last Thursday marked 10 years since I came to Korea. When I first got here I would have never guessed I'd end up staying.

Never say never......
Jodami

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 10 years went by fast... Reply with quote

Milwaukiedave wrote:
Last Thursday marked 10 years since I came to Korea. When I first got here I would have never guessed I'd end up staying.

Never say never......

Congratulations. Do you win a prize?
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 10 years went by fast... Reply with quote

Jodami wrote:
Milwaukiedave wrote:

Never say never......

Congratulations. Do you win a prize?

A gold medal.

For being able to tolerate teeth-sucking and hoking for a decade.
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just finished 17 1/2 years there and have moved back to the states, now the hard part has begun, trying to transition to life back here

We miss our friends there and I will miss my 5 months vacation etc but the cold or dealing with Koreans
I'm With You

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hogwonguy1979 wrote:
We just finished 17 1/2 years there and have moved back to the states, now the hard part has begun, trying to transition to life back here

We miss our friends there and I will miss my 5 months vacation etc but the cold or dealing with Koreans

Yeah, it's hard to transition back to the homeland. Really tough. I hated it. In fact, I disliked it so much that after the first year at home, I came back to teach. If you've been out of the country for several years, don't underestimate reverse culture shock.

5 months paid vacation? Forget it back home! People are consumed by their jobs. People work long hours and are really tied to their work. How can you go from 5 months vacation to 12 days annual leave? That's a huge adjustment.

OP,

I've met many teachers here who are now in their 15th - 20th year here but only came for 1 year to teach EFL and then go home to pursue a career.

This lifestyle is addictive and hard to quit for many, regardless of all legit beefs that we may have. And some were just meant to live life on the road.

Last edited by I'm With You on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With You wrote:
hogwonguy1979 wrote:

Yeah, it's hard to transition back to the homeland. Really tough. I hated it. In fact, I disliked it so much that after the first year at home, I came back to teach. If you've been out of the country for several years, don't underestimate reverse culture shock.

OP,

I've met many teachers here who are now in their 15th - 20th year here but only came for 1 year to teach EFL and then go home to pursue a career.

This lifestyle is addictive and hard to quit for many, regardless of all legit beefs that we may have. And some were just meant to live life on the road.

Most people worry that transitioning back will be impossible after one year, never mind twenty.

But you're right. Its the lifestyle that people fall in love with, not Korea as a country.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, if you're just reaching your 10 year mark, you're a young'un on here. Most Dave's posters are old men who have been in Korea since the 90's.

The majority of those who come to Korea stay for one year only. (Some stick around for a really long time, though, but they are in the extreme minority.)
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With You wrote:
hogwonguy1979 wrote:

5 months paid vacation? Forget it back home! People are consumed by their jobs. People work long hours and are really tied to their work. How can you go from 5 months vacation to 12 days annual leave? That's a huge adjustment.

OP,

Don't know that many jobs that give 5 and a half months vacation here.
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Most Dave's posters are old men who have been in Korea since the 90's.

Most? I doubt that.

This year marked what would have been 10 years for me.

Last edited by Ginormousaurus on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
I'm With You wrote:
hogwonguy1979 wrote:

OP,

Most people worry that transitioning back will be impossible after one year, never mind twenty.

But you're right. Its the lifestyle that people fall in love with, not Korea as a country.

Trust me the reverse culture shock is as bad as they say. Just figuring out basic things like getting cell phones, cable tv, gym memberships etc is like being a martian.Right now we are living with my mother in law because she is having health problems so we are taking over a lot stuff at her house, also means we have cars etc. We are working on getting jobs, nice thing is I'm still on my university's payroll and we had a nice chunk in savings.

Lots of things though to get used, slower more expensive internet, much more expensive cable and cell phone (2 Iphones and an Ipad runs $220/month) bills, the stupidity of US TV. Lots of good things though, affordable and great Mexican food etc, cheap gym memberships etc.

Overall I think we are happy we came back, Korea was really getting to us it was time to leave. We will come back to Asia at some point...to retire in Thailand Very Happy
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really surprised to hear about the reverse culture shock. Not trying to take way from those that experience it… but whenever I "go home" for a few weeks, I feel like a fish in water - I love it.

Gym memberships and the like - I can't see that being any sort of issue.
swashbuckler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With You wrote:
hogwonguy1979 wrote:

OP,

lazy bums
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
10 years since I came to Korea

Wow. How many times have you had to submit a notarized diploma and CRC?
Yaya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in my 18th year in Korea as a gyopo, and I have to agree that the love isn't for Korea but for the lifestyle. Many Koreans would rather live elsewhere, too, mind you.

Having tried unsuccessfully to live in the U.S. again, I don't see myself going that route again (though if I did, I'd stay away from the West Coast like HIV). Instead, I'm looking at other Asian locales and the like. I'm thinking that Pax Americana is by and large over, and though the U.S. remains the world's top superpower, who knows how long that'll last. Lots of jobs and opportunities have disappeared since the 2008 financial crisis, and well, having lived life abroad, the U.S. seems so damn mundane and boring in comparison, though I'm not saying Korea is necessarily better.
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
Quote:
10 years since I came to Korea

Wow. How many times have you had to submit a notarized diploma and CRC?

Coming up 15 years myself. Once each.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: