Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trouble Finding Work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Trouble Finding Work Reply with quote

I finished three year long contracts in Korea and am looking for work in Korea again. My inquiries to recruiters are getting nowhere. What's the story with the job market? Are jobs hard to come by in Korea nowadays?

Should I change my resume around and just say I have no experience?
happiness

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to contact the guys asking directly for teachers, not recruiters. I always had better luck like that.
modernseoul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your exceptions as well as the preferences you've given to said recruiters? It maybe that even with 3 years experience you're setting your sights a little high? The job market is a more difficult these days with the reduction in public school roles and the changes in demand at Hagwons.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The market's flooded, dude. Females are preferred over males. Younger newbs are preferred over the more experienced. Good looking people are preferred over uglo-Americans.
Gaininganadventur

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble Finding Work Reply with quote

david wrote:
I finished three year long contracts in Korea and am looking for work in Korea again. My inquiries to recruiters are getting nowhere. What's the story with the job market? Are jobs hard to come by in Korea nowadays?

3 years and finished contracts. It must be tight in Korea with ESL these days?!
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Back in the day, anyone who worked at a hagwon for three years could jump into a nice university job. Things have certainly changed.

The goshiwans and disappearing flights are indications that the market is changing. More people are willing to pay their own way to come over and live in a shoebox.

The only solution I can really see is if the government ups the qualifications for an E2 visa, such as requiring a TEFL certificate. This would limit the number of applicants and schools would have to up their salary + benefits.

Regarding MAs getting 2.2mil per month, I certainly feel for them. But it just goes to show that having an MA doesn't guarantee better employment.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Finding Work Reply with quote

david wrote:
Are jobs hard to come by in Korea nowadays?

Your experience is not an issue, its your age. They want pliable, hapless, exploitable youngsters, not older guys who know how to stick up for themselves.

Yes, jobs are tight and anyone who tells you otherwise is probably a blonde American female under 25.

Your main weapon is your photo, because that's just about all they look at. If you can produce happy smiley bubbly photos of you with happy students posing next to you, you have a chance.
Speck7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

China says hi.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just in today:
Quote:
I was told this morning, on my first day back to work, that 동's (districts) in my city will no longer provide funding anymore for elementary schools during the 2014-2015 school year. They cut out the high school teachers and middle school teachers last year in my city, so I moved from a middle school to an elementary school. But now, they are finally cutting elementary school NETs from the budget. The only schools that will get funding in my city will be schools in rural areas.

NETs are even getting cut from elementary school positions in public schools. Who saw that one coming? Shocked
Lucas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This just in today:

Quote:
I was told this morning, on my first day back to work, that 동's (districts) in my city will no longer provide funding anymore for elementary schools during the 2014-2015 school year. They cut out the high school teachers and middle school teachers last year in my city, so I moved from a middle school to an elementary school. But now, they are finally cutting elementary school NETs from the budget. The only schools that will get funding in my city will be schools in rural areas.

NETs are even getting cut from elementary school positions in public schools. Who saw that one coming? Shocked

Me.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You saw it coming? I didn't. (Not even ttompatz saw this coming.) I'm really surprised by this.
Quote:
I'm in Namyangju City (east of Seoul and north of the river), and my contracts finishes at the end of February. The school gets its funding through GEPIK, and they told me that there is no money for the 2014-2015 school year.

Quote:
I have just heard today that there is no budget for a replacement as funding in my city (Bucheon) is being cut as well. No more NETs.

Quote:
I'm in Sungnam City and it too is being cut from GEPIK funding for year 2014.

Quote:
Seems across the board then. Gyeonggi-do is now going to become ultra competitive for jobs. The last time they was GEPIK budget cuts in middle and high the saving grace was that teachers could switch in to elementary. No such saving grace this time.

Quote:
It looks grim. I just talked to my ex-coworker and she said that GEPIK funding is cut across the board, and that only schools that are funded by their local city hall will have teachers next year.
DaeguNL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble Finding Work Reply with quote

david wrote:

are you applying from abroad? People IN Korea with a transferable E-2/ F series visa get priority over those who are coming from abroad...schools wanna interview in person, and they wanna avoid paying for flights
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foreigners are getting cut from public elementary schools...

...to make way for more Korean teachers to be hired. The waegs will be replaced by K-teachers.

"My coteacher just told me that there is a problem with young people finding new jobs in Korea. Now they will hire 10,000 new part time Korean English teachers to work from 9-1."

Koreans are getting better at English (especially young Koreans) so that makes sense I guess.
hacheondo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you asking for and how old are you?

I had the same problem, b/c I'm 40 and have a family. The nice thing about Koreans is how honest and direct they are telling you straight to your face that you're too old. God bless their (tiny, rotten) little hearts.
dtstone88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I'm a 26 year old male and have limited myself ONLY to the Daegu area - still getting interviews, and I've had three job offers in the span of a week. Just keep trying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: