Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can an introverted person succeed as a teacher?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Training prepares you mentally where you can identify problems before they get worse but on the job puts it all into reality where you can see what does or doesn't work.

I've been talking about practical training all along where you get observed in teaching situations and you can see what does or doesn't work.

Quote:
Yes BUT that benefit of experienced teacher's advice can also come from on the job training by talking with them and asking the right questions.

The best way to develop as a teacher is to have someone better trained and more experienced than you are watch you teach and give you constructive feedback. This is very difficult to organise without doing a course.

Quote:
Nor can they afford to hire a paper qualified teacher and have them fail.

Outside a few countries in Asia, schools will ask for paper qualifications to reduce the chances of the teacher being a dud. Of course it's not fail safe but most schools think it improves the odds.

Quote:
When I have served on hiring committees, our prime focus was on educational attainment and work experience. But, we also looked for other qualities such as some kind of interesting background and brought them in for an interview as well because, well, you never know. For the most part those people were never hired but occasionally they were. And, to be honest, maybe half of those did well.

You, presumably got to the level of being on a hiring committee at least partly through your qualifications, so it's a bit hypocritical to be advising others they are not necessary.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
You, presumably got to the level of being on a hiring committee at least partly through your qualifications,

Not necessarily.
Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
I started in 2003 in Busan. At the end of my first year at a elementary hogwon chain one of the other teachers got a job teaching at a pretty good Busan university. He had one year of hogwon experience and a bachelors degree. He was about 30, normal looking.

At the end of his 2nd year at the same hogwon my friend was offered a job at a national university in Busan. Bachelors, maybe 28 years old, normal looking guy.

I doubt they'd even get interviewed now.

==
On a side note, these are some of the pricks that interview now and look down at other ESL teachers. Nowadays, they wouldn't be interviewed for the job that they are overseeing.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point
Unposter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh...the tried and true method of the desperate...ad hominem attack.

In addition, Edward, are you so desperate that you put up a bunch of unidentified quotes attempting to confuse readers (including myself) between Archaeologist's and my quotes. That is some desperation!

Let me know when you have something to say.

As to your previous question, I was just trying to provide an example of how a more thorough and effective talent search might take place from my personal experience.

Good day.
archaeologist5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been talking about practical training all along where you get observed in teaching situations and you can see what does or doesn't work.

Quote:
The best way to develop as a teacher is to have someone better trained and more experienced than you are watch you teach and give you constructive feedback. This is very difficult to organise without doing a course.

These two quotes are basically talking about the same thing and both benefits can be met with on the job training.

I disagree with them because what the more experienced teacher does may not work for the newer teacher or they get away with stuff they shouldn't because they have seniority.

your way is not a fail-safe method of obtaining good teachers.

Quote:
Outside a few countries in Asia, schools will ask for paper qualifications to reduce the chances of the teacher being a dud.

That is the ideal but I doubt it is any better than hiring someone like Korea does--without the paper credentials.
TheUrbanMyth

Location: It's not a superiority complex when you really are superior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

archaeologist5 wrote:
[

No wonder some posters do not like talking to Urban Myth, he takes some minute item and tries to blow it out of proportion. If I have to itemize and be specific every little minute detail, I wouldn't be finished that post. I would still be writing it. Some things do not have to be said because they are commonly known.

Quote:
And how do you know the track record of most teachers here with teaching qualifications?

it is not important how I know something and you are derailing the discussion by asking such unimportant and distracting questions.

No, some people do not like talking to me because I often catch them out in outright contradictions and evasions (as in your post). If you are going to state something as proof for your position you should be careful that it can not be easily disproved (as I did for that point.)

As for the "track record" YOU were the one that bought it up and claimed it as a talking point to bolster your claims. It is thus fair game to ask.
cabeza

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
archaeologist5 wrote:
[

No wonder some posters do not like talking to Urban Myth, he takes some minute item and tries to blow it out of proportion. If I have to itemize and be specific every little minute detail, I wouldn't be finished that post. I would still be writing it. Some things do not have to be said because they are commonly known.

Quote:
And how do you know the track record of most teachers here with teaching qualifications?

it is not important how I know something and you are derailing the discussion by asking such unimportant and distracting questions.

No, some people do not like talking to me because I often catch them out in outright contradictions and evasions (as in your post). If you are going to state something as proof for your position you should be careful that it can not be easily disproved (as I did for that point.)

As for the "track record" YOU were the one that bought it up and claimed it as a talking point to bolster your claims. It is thus fair game to ask.

You know you must be King douche bag if this other idiot archaeologist5 is calling you out.

I know you think that you are some intellectual heavyweight, but you really, really aren't. You are a dork.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true. The Urban Myth is King D-Bag. He is the most vapid, obnoxious, pretentious, and pompous poster on Dave's (a hard feat to achieve).
roro1990

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, I never realized such a simple question would start such an intense bitching session!! So to be sure of the answer to my question I'll ask again. Can a guy like me succeed in this field, even if it was for only a year. I am definetely initially shy, and wouldn't consider public speaking as a strong point. I am a motivated person and will try my best at whatever i'm doing in life.

Also as an aside, I've read on here a bit that the ESL situation isn't great. Are there still jobs available for a recent graduate with no TEFL course to his name? I'm stagnating at home not knowing what I wanna do with my life (didn't particularly enjoy my degree) so I am determined to do something like this, if it suits my personality and if there are jobs available
optik404

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roro1990 wrote:
Jeez, I never realized such a simple question would start such an intense bitching session!! So to be sure of the answer to my question I'll ask again. Can a guy like me succeed in this field, even if it was for only a year. I am definetely initially shy, and wouldn't consider public speaking as a strong point. I am a motivated person and will try my best at whatever i'm doing in life.

Also as an aside, I've read on here a bit that the ESL situation isn't great. Are there still jobs available for a recent graduate with no TEFL course to his name? I'm stagnating at home not knowing what I wanna do with my life (didn't particularly enjoy my degree) so I am determined to do something like this, if it suits my personality and if there are jobs available

I think you would do well with a kindergarten class. I don't think even the biggest introvert would have problems in front of little kids.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The world doesn't revolve around you, you know. Not every experienced campaigner's primary motive for coming on here is to play agony aunt to wet behind the ears newbies. Having said that, as others have pointed out, little kids won't be a problem. Adults or teenagers might label you as 'boring.'
caniff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

The world doesn't revolve around you, you know. Not every experienced campaigner's primary motive for coming on here is to play agony aunt to wet behind the ears newbies. Having said that, as others have pointed out, little kids won't be a problem. Adults or teenagers might label you as 'boring.'

Kind of sucks, but I guess it's true. Some people should keep it to the rug-rats if they would clam up or get weird/boring in front of groups that can actually assess their teaching prowess.
Janny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, as has been stated already, there is a difference between "shy" and "introverted". Make sure you know which one you are.

In my opinion, either attribute can hurt your teaching, but there are many factors. How many students will you have and how old are they? Do you have your own quiet office? Will you have adequate break time?

A shy person has the biggest hurdle. To be a great teacher in TEFL, you need flair, humor, energy and the ability to be silly. You must make it fun. I know that my best classes are the ones where I've taken a xanny and had a coffee....loose, relaxed, happy and ready to roll with it. It's like a performance sometimes. You have to have a plan, yes. But it's way more important to play off the kid's energy and make the natural jokes, take the natural cues and go with them....be authentic and genuine. YOU create the mood of the class. So if you walk in there nervous and quiet and staring at a lesson plan on paper....no. That will be a bomb.

An introverted person is not necessarily shy. This is me. I can be as electrifying funny and cute and ridiculous in those classrooms as my kids want me to be. BUT! If I don't have at least 10 min of downtime every hour or so....as in: No talking to any human, of any age. Alone, quiet, silence....if I don't get that, things go downhill fast and I turn into a moody, bitchy, impatient hag.

I know myself now and what I need to do to be a successful teacher.

Anyone can figure it out. Just have some self-awareness and follow your gut instincts. There IS joy in teaching, but there are definitely several paths to getting there.
Janny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....love the bitch fests. It keeps me coming back to Dave's, even long after I've left Korea.
archaeologist5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Amazing, I do not recall TUM disproving anything. I certainly didn't see any legitimate links to credible articles rebutting anything I said. All I saw was a question that had nothing to do with the discussion and was easily answered by just remembering the myriad of posts pasted all over English teachers' discussion forums.

Quote:
I never realized such a simple question would start such an intense bitching session!!

First off, between unposter, edward and myself there was no 'bitching' going on. It was a discussion. Second, since you are a newbie you are in no position to say who is doing what.

Quote:
The world doesn't revolve around you, you know. Not every experienced campaigner's primary motive for coming on here is to play agony aunt to wet behind the ears newbies.

I agree with this.

Quote:
Having said that, as others have pointed out, little kids won't be a problem. Adults or teenagers might label you as 'boring.'

Your intovertedness probably will not be a problem unless you let it get in the way. If you are unprepared for class or do not know your own language then you will have bigger problems to solve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: