Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can an introverted person succeed as a teacher?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roro1990

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
Jeez, I never realized such a simple question would start such an intense bitching session!! So to be sure of the answer to my question I'll ask again. Can a guy like me succeed in this field, even if it was for only a year. I am definetely initially shy, and wouldn't consider public speaking as a strong point. I am a motivated person and will try my best at whatever i'm doing in life.

The world doesn't revolve around you, you know. Not every experienced campaigner's primary motive for coming on here is to play agony aunt to wet behind the ears newbies. Having said that, as others have pointed out, little kids won't be a problem. Adults or teenagers might label you as 'boring.'

Well then I have some rather simple advice for you. Don't comment on threads that "newbies" create if you don't want to answer their question. If you want to get in to completely irrelevant debates then create your own thread and talk through your arse on that. The world doesn't revolve around you and your obvious need to argue with anyone about anything Smile
Coltronator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However a well prepped class with media interspersed with a small number of students (6 to 10) may find the class intellectually motivating. Being an introvert just means that if you are a bad teacher you'll probably be a really bad teacher because you don't have by the seat of the pants theatrics to fall back on to engage the students. If you are a good teacher it won't matter one bit as extrovert/introvert will rarely come into play.
caniff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a teacher, you gotta have that bag of tricks you can instantly dig into if a lesson is falling flat or the peeps just aren't "feeling it" on that particular day. Impromptu "lessons" have actually turned into some of the best ones, in my experience.
ghostrider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can an extrovert succeed as a writer? Admittedly, writing is an introverted activity and teaching is an extroverted activity. However, people can learn to play a role. Introverts can succeed as teachers. I think a lot of my universities professors were introverts- probably because introverts are more suited to the long hours of solitary study it takes to attain a PhD. Take a CELTA course if you want some very practical training in how to teach ESL.
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and introvert can do well. I think sometimes you will find yourself on overload with the noise (both inside and outside of school). If you can learn to overcome that you'll be fine.

A TESOL or CELTA certificate certainly helps, but is not required. You most likely get hired without one. One alternative is just to pick up a text and self-study. There is nothing wrong with that if you feel it can help you. I have no idea what the current texts are out there, but I'm sure someone on here who has recently taken a course could make some suggestions.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/blogs/onlineteflteacher/celta-course-recommended-books
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: