Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do kyopos experience any discrimination in Korea?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mix1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbmufc wrote:
Yaya wrote:
And gosh, Korea can do with fewer gyopos, many of whom go around thinking they're hot stuff when many would be lower than schmucks on the street in the West.

lol true, but you might as well add foreigners, especially ESLers, in there. Can't blame them too much. I mean even a good-looking kyopo guy isn't going to get much attention from females in the west other than from other asians. But come over to K-land and all the sudden go from bottom-of-totempole, unsexy, unnoticed, foreign, other... to the majority of the girls taking notice and interest in you and treating you like you're "hot stuff".. it's obviously a huge ego boost. It's not just us kyopos experiencing this though. Plenty of waygooks who you look at and think "this guy was a nobody back home", are also getting gf's and wives and having a better time with females in general than they ever did back home. And they too, like many kyopos, strut around thinking they're hot stuff. But hey if they're happy then that's cool with me.

I don't know about any "strutting" or "hot stuff" treatment, but I'm sure you'll agree the dating options for men are simply better here in many ways. This should make EVERYONE happier on average.
sml7285

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've really never had any problems with being a gyopo in the civilian world in Korea (Life when I was in the army was a different story). However, my Korean is very solid and it usually takes a few minutes into a conversation before someone will kind of give me a funny look and ask about my accent (when I first moved here, people pretty much realized I was a gyopo from the get go).

However, I do feel that my having done the army stint has helped me, at least with the ajosshis. Some (taxi drivers especially) will kind of turn chilly when they realize I'm a gyopo and slip in a "Well I guess you're lucky that you don't have to go to the army..." When I inform them that I have in fact finished my military service, their attitude does tend to shift dramatically and they become more talkative. Korean ajummas are all the same: they just want to tell me about their daughter/grand daughter/niece/etc. within a 20year age range of me that they want to set me up with.

With the ladies... well it's the same as it was back in the states. The dating culture is different and just approaching random women in Korea is not as common as in the states, but after the initial "wtf" expression, women do seem to be open to conversation and such.

I do apologize for the rambliness and any incoherent portions of the post... I just got back from 회식. I'll be more lucid in the AM if anyone has any further questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: