Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BA/BS not enough as of 2015 for E2s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Credential requirements raised "Professional"
Credential requirements same "Average Joe"
50%
 50%  [ 13 ]
Credential requirements lowered "Wing-it-er"
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Credentials requirements voided "Barefooted Straw Hatter"
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Credential requirements raised "Professional"
46%
 46%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 26

Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:

They already do. Some more than others. Busan requires 60 hours of it to be in class.

I think its more important that it become an actual immigration E2 requirement...rather than just a few isolated education authorities.
Jodami

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridiculous thread.

Koreans don't take Englishee seriously. A clown suit, a plastic red nose, a green wig and a pulse is all that is required to teach Korean students.

End of thread. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
salutbonjour

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the requirements should be exactly equal, and no more, than the credentials I currently hold. I will then charge 500k per hour and teach them how to be a dick about having a useless piece of paper.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gesh....You don't need a college education to know it's not a good idea!

The way most hokwon owners treat teachers...and the lack of support from the korean folks who work for the government....ferget it!

Pay is too low as well!
misher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay is actually pretty good considering what the average conversation teacher in Korea has to do.

For credentialed people not only would pay have to go up, but the kind of work and treatment would have to improve as well. Everyone knows that if you want to be a true Professional and get into EAP, or K-12 public school TESOL, work experience in Korea means very little and will hurt your resume if you do it for too long. Teaching English conversation in Korea is largely a joke and anyone who has developed themselves meaningfully in TESOL would know this. You will always be considered the "conversation teacher." Or English "communications teacher." Any other job that isn't anything to do with conversation is usually he done by a Korean.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jodami wrote:
Ridiculous thread.

Koreans don't take Englishee seriously. A clown suit, a plastic red nose, a green wig and a pulse is all that is required to teach Korean students.

End of thread. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I disagree. Many Koreans do take English seriously. Many students do an exchange program during grade school and/or university. Obviously you have one of the clown jobs.
Jodami

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooden nickels wrote:

I disagree. Many Koreans do take English seriously. Many students do an exchange program during grade school and/or university. Obviously you have one of the clown jobs.

Errrr no. I worked at a uni (top ten) for six years. Korean students are shit!

Not bringing the textbook on a regular basis
Constantly lying
Trying to use cell phones in class
Trying to sleep in class
Not taking notes
Not having a pen
Not having a notebook
Always trying to cheat
Swearing in class (in English) thinking they are daddy cool
Trying to come late for tests (but I had already locked them out)

Btw, in my class they got crushed (students often received a minus score for participation) - and they were told that elementary students back in my country, have more brainpower and work harder. Smile

Korean students are useless, useless, useless!!!!!!! Cool
tiger fancini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jodami wrote:
wooden nickels wrote:

Errrr no. I worked at a uni (top ten) for six years. Korean students are shit!

Not bringing the textbook on a regular basis
Constantly lying
Trying to use cell phones in class
Trying to sleep in class
Not taking notes
Not having a pen
Not having a notebook
Always trying to cheat
Swearing in class (in English) thinking they are daddy cool
Trying to come late for tests (but I had already locked them out)

Btw, in my class they got crushed (students often received a minus score for participation) - and they were told that elementary students back in my country, have more brainpower and work harder. Smile

Korean students are useless, useless, useless!!!!!!! Cool

I wonder how they describe you on their forum.

Although in my experience, Korean university students generally haven't made much progress in their levels of maturity since elementary school.

However, I think some experience/qualification in teaching English should be required to get an E2. It's an old argument, but simply being a native speaker of English with a BA in any discipline does not automatically make one a competent ESL/EFL teacher in my book.
Jodami

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiger fancini wrote:
I wonder how they describe you on their forum.

As a top notch educator. They were whipped into shape and knew not to dick around in my class. Some of the other foreign instructors on the other hand, were clowns/student ass kissers.

Luckily I worked at a uni where the admin kept out of everything. We could and did fail students and I never ever had one piece of interference from admin in my 6 years working at that uni. That was one of the main reasons I stayed there for so long.
Fox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiger fancini wrote:
It's an old argument, but simply being a native speaker of English with a BA in any discipline does not automatically make one a competent ESL/EFL teacher in my book.

Yet one can at least hypothetically be competent despite only holding a BA and being a native speaker, can't they? The visa requirement is a bare minimum to which any institution can add qualifications if they so desire. For example, why should a hagwon which trains its own employees to follow its self-produced educational material be forced to hire someone with a third party TEFL certificate? Why should an English kindergarten, wherein the primary qualifications probably revolve more around skill with children and a sunny disposition than anything you'd learn in a TEFL course, be stuck requiring such qualifications? And why should people be funding paychecks for TEFL/CELTA trainers if both they and their employers feel they will not get anything directly work-applicable out of the training?

I see your point in a general sense, but it seems to me that the organizations doing the hiring are better suited to making decisions about qualifications than the people crafting immigration law. Stricter visa requirements would benefit me individually, but I really don't think they would benefit the average Korean much at all.
Jodami

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point - I've worked with so many people who clearly dislike teaching.

If you don't have a passion for teaching, then clearly you should not be allowed inside the classroom. That probably accounts for the majority of so called "teachers" inside and outside of Korea.
rainman3277

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: BA/BS not enough as of 2015 for E2s Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
Should credentials be raised for E2 VISA Holders?

Examples:
Teacher Certification
100 Hour TESOL
Masters Degree

This only applies to E2s.

A masters degree to get a visa to teach ESL? What exactly do you think this job entails? We are not building bridges here people.
pest2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeoulNate wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:
Bad idea unless they improve conditions for the visa holders.

This.

Would also probably cause a ton of Hagwons to close. The market would shift back to an employee's market and I dont think that many Hagwons would be able to pay for the increased wages.

Korea has developed over the last decades to the point where they can both have better visas/visa provisions and require further credentials (like Japan's situational path for English teaching in the past). I dont think you'll see too much of the former, though, as the English learning trend (demand) will diminish slowly there as Korea's economy improves... just my 2 cents
Stain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about a BA, but BS will always get you a job.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

archaeologist5 wrote:
Milwaukiedave wrote:
For teaching children,yes. I think the requirements will go up. There has been a long trend for the last few years of employers requiring masters and TESOL certificates.

For teaching at universities, masters and doctorates.

I hate it when people say things like this because they give the impression that more credentials is a magic wand which wipes away bad character traits.

Yeah, my lowly Bachelor's @$$ agrees with you. I had a temporary co teacher at my school who loved my teaching and how I interacted with the kids. Her contract was up and she got employed at a private high school that hired a guy with a Masters of TESOL. Needless to say, she complained to me about him. He had no personality, couldn't teach an interesting class, kids hated him, he was arguementative about everything. Needless to say, one should never be fooled by credentials on paper. It's what you got inside that counts. DO you have the instinct or the talent? (Granted, it did take me 2 to 3 years to get fuly into the swing of things. Though I sort of did ok before. But, not as well as I have in recent years.) Schools always demand me. (Our local ed office sends us to new schools every year.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: