Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An unbiased assesment - Is Korea pulling out of EFL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With You wrote:
What's the topic of this thread?

I've completely forgotten!

Very good point - and something I'm often guilty of.
Old Painless

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With You wrote:
What's the topic of this thread?

I've completely forgotten!

People that have been in Korea a few years are advising their friends back home not to go to Korea because it's a 'dying' market for work.
Coltronator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this got out of hand all of a sudden. It was a really good thread with some good discussion. Then a small thing blew it all out of proportion. Everyone Apologize and move on maybe? It seems it all started with an unintended insult and an understandable defensive biting counter claim.

Though WT, I do take offense that you used only 1 of 3 major World University Ranking Systems for 2013. The other 2 have Stanford 1st with Oxbridge higher and..... Mcgill or the University of Toronto in the top 25. (Please don't throw a shoe at me Smile )
World Traveler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a quote from an old thread. That was the first of the three rankings to come out. (No shoe will be thrown. Surprised)
World Traveler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ginormousaurus wrote:
BTW, Korean is really difficult for adults to learn.

It is man. And the funny thing is, most people seriously underestimate its difficulty. Some even hammer on and on about how it is the world's most logical and scientific language, an extremely easy language to learn. (Ever hear that one? It is infuriating to hear people-both foreigners and Koreans-tell me that.)
Coltronator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easy part is only reading the alphabet phonetically. I memorized the entire thing in between taking customer service calls during 1 8 hour shift.

The language is not the scientific part, it is only the writing system. Some people don't get that. Yes the first 5% is super easy, after that not so much coming from a language that has no cognates and purposes the direct translations of verbs and adjectives together to mean completely different idioms.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Russian and Arabic, the alphabet is phonetic but the grammar is really freaking hard. So is pronunciation and listening (hearing the sounds).
Stain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, finally we're back on topic.
Coltronator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes big time(however talking like a 5 year old, sticking to only one respect level isn't too hard), yes, and yes. In my experience these went hand in hand with each other and both got better as soon as I could make the correct sound I was also able to hear it and vice versa when called upon to be able to.
Coltronator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not back on the original topic, but at least it is a topic. Rolling Eyes
World Traveler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least a better topic than before.
Stain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's alright. Anyway, I agree with you that Korean is difficult to learn.
Stain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And speaking of that, what's the weirdest thing you guys have ever seen in Korea?
Old Painless

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never disparage someone from going after something they really want to do. After all, isn't one of the sweetest things in life perfecting yourself, making your environment better, more comfortable, and enjoyable?

When I met expats that had been in Korea 10+ years back in the 90's, my initial reaction was to congratulate them for being able to put up with all the static that comes from living in a truly foreign country. After the internet, things changed so much that to me - Korea is not so disconnected from reality anymore. Things were so different back then. If you wanted to learn something, you had to ask someone or experience for yourself. Word of mouth was key to learning/survival in Korea.

Funny thing is that rarely has a topic come along in the past 15 years on these forums that I had not already discussed with other expats over beer and food. The internet makes it all come to you, there's no face to face anymore, and that can be both a blessing and a curse.

If you have a good setup and make enough money to live comfortably, why would I make fun of that? I'd congratulate you for perfecting yourself to the point where you can work 6-7 months a year and enjoy a paid vacation that would allow you time to write, travel and visit with your family. My hats off to anyone that can stand living in Korea for more than five years consecutively. The people you can laugh at are the heroin addicts like the guy in the freakiest waygook thread that swung a dead cat around at the club, freaked everyone out, had a burial service with some crazy christians at the club, and ran around naked.

What happened to the Freakiest Waygook thread? Was it pulled?
Stain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a good thread. I'm not sure where it is now, but we could use this thread to continue it, seeing as this thread is up for grabs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: