Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An unbiased assesment - Is Korea pulling out of EFL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I'm With You

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stain wrote:
It's alright. Anyway, I agree with you that Korean is difficult to learn.

I love this kind of sentiment from the crowd.

I can be your leader!
Stain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With You wrote:
Stain wrote:
It's alright. Anyway, I agree with you that Korean is difficult to learn.

I love this kind of sentiment from the crowd.

I can be your leader!

Great. When can I can get my weapon?
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stain wrote:
And speaking of that, what's the weirdest thing you guys have ever seen in Korea?

lulz

Since I can't simply "like" or "green rep" your comment I have to post something relatively on-topic. Thus, my personal, and completely unscientific, anecdote-based opinion, is that EFL in Korea is where it was in Japan over a decade ago. It's a mature market and the average Joe who has not deeply invested into either the culture or their qualifications will find it increasingly difficult to carve out a comfortable niche here. It's unfortunate, but what can one do? The conditions of the environment here, irrespective of the individual, are counterproductive to the presence of an abundance of rewarding employment avenues.
Stain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
Stain wrote:
And speaking of that, what's the weirdest thing you guys have ever seen in Korea?

lulz

Since I can't simply "like" or "green rep" your comment I have to post something relatively on-topic. Thus, my personal, and completely unscientific, anecdote-based opinion, is that EFL in Korea is where it was in Japan over a decade ago. It's a mature market and the average Joe who has not deeply invested into either the culture or their qualifications will find it increasingly difficult to carve out a comfortable niche here. It's unfortunate, but what can one do? The conditions of the environment here, irrespective of the individual, are counterproductive to the presence of an abundance of rewarding employment avenues.

Thanks. The thread won't die after all. To be fair, I really haven't contributed anything of value myself to this thread. Smile To respond to your comment, I agree. The market has matured and I'm not quite sure what the near future will bring, but those dug in should be alright.
Stain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The freakiest waygook I ever encountered was about 7 years ago when I worked for a hagwon. This guy was from L.A. , I was told, had korean ancestry, and was a quick hire, due to a runner. From the start, something wasn't right. He never spoke a word to any of us and instead, just stared. One day, the both of us were in the teacher's room with nobody else. Suddenly, he rips a massive fart. I look over at him and laugh but he had a look of all seriousness on his face. I guess in his entire life he didn't realize that farts are funny. Anyway, he was fired after a month because the students were scared of him. They said he just mumbled and stared at them. When his replacement started they realized he hadn't taught a single page out of the book. I heard later that he thought he was still able to live at his apartment and kept returning there. Beyond that, I don't know what became of him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: