Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is dating harder for expat women?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EZE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's how you make a point! Very Happy
guavashake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.alternet.org/im-fat-40-and-single-and-ive-been-getting-laid-crazy

How does a short person get to weigh 300 pounds... gotta put down a load of oatmeal, paddycakes and engrish muffins for breakfast...
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking expat women usually aren't single for very long. They get snatched up quickly. I really don't think it's too hard for them. There are far more guys here than gals. Fortunately, there's lot of good looking Korean women. So, it's all good. (I'm talking from my perspective as I'm a guy.)
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AfroBurrito wrote:
"A real woman is all guts and ass." --Charles Bukowski

I don't often seek pointed wisdom from a certifiable misogynist, but given the bent of most of these posts, I'm sure the words will find themselves right at home.

Fat chicks can always lose weight; but being superficial is far less easy to remedy.

I have never had trouble dating here. And I am not white, not skinny, and not the docile, submissive, timid little wallflower so many men on this forum seem to want. This isn't the 1950's.

I have not had a very high standard. If a man cannot hold an intelligent conversation, exhibit some degree of intellectual complexity, or make you laugh, what's the point? Even if he looks like a Greek god, being boring won't make up for that.

To the point of the thread, I'm engaged to be married to a Korean. And he's rather fond of my big a$$.

funny you mention charles bukowski as he was a known alcoholic who fancied himself a womanizing bachelor.

your statement that fat chicks can always lose weight but being superficial is far less easy to remedy is so backwards it makes my head spin. it is in fact, not very easy for most fat "chicks" to lose weight (why do you think they got fat in the first place?), and "remedying" being superficial can be as easy as changing your mind about something in a split second. and the fact that you deem someone who thinks that a fat woman is unattractive as superficial is so incredibly misguided.

i for one want a woman who won't die of heart disease by age 50, someone who can be active and travel with me without running out of breath every few steps, someone who doesn't pump their body full of high fructose corn syrups and other awful crap, someone who cares about their well being and someone who realizes that being fat and doing nothing about it is incredibly selfish because it doesn't affect only them, it affects the people that care about them (friends, family, lovers, etc.) as well as the environment (more gas use in vehicles as well as requiring bigger vehicles in general, more healthcare requirements, more unsustainable food production, etc.) so yeah, if that's being superficial you can call me the king of superficiality and i'd recommend you going back to school to learn what that word really means.

the fact that you also equate docile, submissive and timid women to the 1950's is a bit offensive to the women of that time. just because you're angry and defensive towards fat people doesn't mean that you can easily categorize people like that.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many of you guys will continue to like Adonis well into your 30's?
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
I wonder how many of you guys will continue to like Adonis well into your 30's?

If a man treats women decently and has a decent income, he probably won't have a problem.

Too many movies make it out; men must chase women, and girls can be chosey. After 30 it seems the opposite.

I think the bigger issue for expat women is are you attracted to Korean men? And would you be willing to stay in Korea? Because in Korea a Korean man is a king, but in the west a Korean man is a nobody (like everyone else). So I think a lot of Korean man don't want to leave Korea (and I don't blame them). Also if they are the only son of their parents they have a cultural obligation to take care of them.

For Korean women, the west probably has more opportunities than Korea.

Also if you think of ESL workplaces, they are full of women. It's a lot easier for a western man.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AfroBurrito wrote:

Heh.

But hey wait, is the case that you have burritos in your afro, or you make burritos with bits of afro in them? I am not sure what to think either way, but am regardless intensely curious about this "Afro Burrito".
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think jvalmer meant "I wonder how many of you guys will continue to look like Adonis well into your 30's?"
rainman3277

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

archaeologist5 wrote:
Since I am not a woman I would not be qualified to answer the question BUT I am part of the problem for them. I would not date a Western women even if all the westerners in this country took up a collection and paid me to date one.

For the most part, they are more trouble than they are worth and because I hold certain strong religious beliefs (I would not want to participate in pre-marital sexual activities) my field of selection is rather limited.

HOWEVER, I do remember 1 western girl from about a dozen years ago I would be tempted to date. She was walking near the E-Mart in the Igok Dong area of Daelso-gu and she was really pretty. In fact she was so pretty she stopped traffic

She carried a pair of 45s on a very slender body and her face was more than one could hope for in a woman. How do I know she stopped traffic? Well a male co-worker was in a taxi the same day and he and the taxi driver spotted her. The taxi driver would not drive while she was walking along the street and he told me about his experience.

The taxi driver couldn't stop drooling.

So basically, you wouldn't date a Westerner because of your religious beliefs on premarital sex unless she is really hot, then religion be damned. Sounds about right.
crescent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

archaeologist5 wrote:
Since I am not a woman I would not be qualified to answer the question BUT I am part of the problem for them. I would not date a Western women even if all the westerners in this country took up a collection and paid me to date one.

For the most part, they are more trouble than they are worth and because I hold certain strong religious beliefs (I would not want to participate in pre-marital sexual activities) my field of selection is rather limited.

HOWEVER, I do remember 1 western girl from about a dozen years ago I would be tempted to date. She was walking near the E-Mart in the Igok Dong area of Daelso-gu and she was really pretty. In fact she was so pretty she stopped traffic

She carried a pair of 45s on a very slender body and her face was more than one could hope for in a woman. How do I know she stopped traffic? Well a male co-worker was in a taxi the same day and he and the taxi driver spotted her. The taxi driver would not drive while she was walking along the street and he told me about his experience.

The taxi driver couldn't stop drooling.

So there aren't any western women with strong religious beliefs, then? I thought part of your shtick was that one shouldn't generalise?
Anyway, your 'friend' told you about his experience with a taxi driver that wouldn't drive because he saw her? Well, one driver does not 'traffic' make.
I have a similar experience about a taxi driver that wouldn't drive. He was trapped behind a rubbish cart. The grandmother pulling it couldn't get it going. She stopped traffic too. Interested?
radcon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

archaeologist5 wrote:

So no white women for you because you are too "religious". I hear ya man. I have sworn off super models because like really, who needs that drama.
What type of women do you deem worthy of your attention if not western women?
I'm With You

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AfroBurrito wrote:

I don't often seek pointed wisdom from a certifiable misogynist, but...

Nice speech.

But I liked the quote, and stands.

I was fresh off the boat and had 4 or 5 nice and not so nice K-girls in bed regularly, and I wasn't in great shape but did meet a couple of them at the gym.

Meanwhile, my male colleagues were telling me, "You won't meet Korean girls so easily as American women - good luck getting laid!"

Another case of ignore what people tell you, or at least keep an open mind.
kingplaya4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I'm married now, but before I was I would have had no problem dating plump western girl. But I have to say the tats are a huge turn off, and personally I'm not much of a fan of smoking either. I don't need my women to look like a little girl, heck her shoulders are about as big as mine and it doesn't bother me, but if she came home with a big butterfly on her back and a pack a day habit, I'd say we'd be in couples counseling very soon.
Janny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's more difficult for Western women. The reason is simple.

Western men want Korean women.
Western women DON'T want Korean men.

In general.

If Korean men were more attractive to Western women, there'd be no issue. But no. Alternatively, Western men love Korean gals.

IN GENERAL. Don't get pissed.

So you've got a nation of expat men who are in HIGH demand. The Western ladies, it's a tougher deal.

It really has made me step up my game, competing with these beautiful Korean chicks. (I'm a Western female) On a related note, my social life improved immensely when I dropped a bunch of weight. That is obviously a big (LOL) factor here, isn't it?

You Western dudes in Asia...you got it gooood.
Janny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also state for anyone's interest....I live in Shanghai now and it's the same thing here. Lots of great Western dudes who pay me no mind, because their heads are on a swivel for gorgeous Chinese girls.

And the Chinese men? Meh. More attractive than Korean dudes though, since they're more laid-back, dress like men (not femmes) and are taller.

Again, in general. ciao
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: