Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teaching in korea
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asianfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: teaching in korea Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Thought I'd post here...I am in my early 30s and am totally interested in teaching in Seoul Korea...saw a video on Youtube of what the city looked like and it got me stoked...I taught before in China and that was a cool experience...so I'm interested in seeing this part of the world...my questions are:

1. What is the pollution like compared to China? Better or worse?

2. what are the people like personality wise? Warm or mean? I imagine like any country there's a mix of both

3. As far as dating sites go, I was just curious what's the best one to use between Koreanfriendfinder, korean cupid or ublove? I'm sure there's plenty of nightclubs to go to to chat up the ladies...don't give me crap about it cause I'm sure I'm not the only guy that finds Koreans attractive

4. Are there trains that go go other cities like Daegu or Inchon, and do they follow the same schedule?

5. I'm guessing Seoul has a subway system?

6. Is it better to get a prepaid cellphone? I used to get those when I was in China...pretty convenient

7. As far as shopping for groceries do they bag the stuff for you or is it one of those deals where they charge you a few bits for the bag? And what's the currency used there?

8. Have you guys seen any Korean films filmed in Seoul?

Those are just a few questions I had...
asianfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I forgot two questions:

For those who need to renew u.s. passports is there an embassy there to do it and what is the process like?

And regarding the dating sites if you guys know a better site to use other than the ones I listed let me know..maybe there's a local korean one that I could upload my profile
tardisrider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Generally about the same. Sometimes worse. Sometimes better.

2. Mix of course, like in all countries.

3. Dating: you can try some of those websites, but generally Koreans aren't interested in dating non-Koreans (except for other Asians). There's no club/bar/drinking culture to speak of. Very, very few Koreans drink.

4. No trains. If you need to get from city to city, you should use a bus or hitchhike. Lots of hitchhiking in Korea--perfectly socially acceptable.

5. No. There are a few buses, that's about it. You have to get a paper ticket from a kiosk, and if the kiosk is sold out, you're not allowed to get on the bus.

6. Get a pre-paid one if you can find it. There really aren't many cell phones/mobiles in Korea. If you do have one, it will be considered a novelty and you'll get lots of attention for having it. Very few smart phones. Most people have old Nokias.

7. You'll have to bag stuff yourself. Bring your own bags.

8. The film industry is very small. Not many films made in Seoul or elsewhere in the country.

9. No U.S. Embassy in Korea since the war is not officially over. There's a consulate, but it's only open on Tuesday afternoons from about 2 until 4. For passport renewals you'll have to go to Tokyo or use the mail system, which isn't very reliable.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: teaching in korea Reply with quote

asianfan wrote:
Hey guys,

Thought I'd post here...I am in my early 30s and am totally interested in teaching in Seoul Korea...saw a video on Youtube of what the city looked like and it got me stoked...I taught before in China and that was a cool experience...so I'm interested in seeing this part of the world...my questions are:

1. What is the pollution like compared to China? Better or worse?

almost nowhere in the world has worse pollution than china.

2. what are the people like personality wise? Warm or mean? I imagine like any country there's a mix of both

just as anywhere else in the world, the people here run the spectrum of personalities. many foreigners think that they are cold which it can appear that way initially because they are in general, very shy and reserved and it's not korean culture to make random friends easily. either that or they simply are being cold because there are a large amount of koreans who don't really enjoy the company of a lot of the neckbeard foreigners here. that said, you can find some amazing people here like anywhere else.

3. As far as dating sites go, I was just curious what's the best one to use between Koreanfriendfinder, korean cupid or ublove? I'm sure there's plenty of nightclubs to go to to chat up the ladies...don't give me crap about it cause I'm sure I'm not the only guy that finds Koreans attractive

i'm not sure there are many people who would disagree with your statement that korean women are attractive besides those who use that argument because they can't get them or those who are chubby chasers. i haven't used the sites you've mentioned but with the population density of this country and the sheer number of citizens it's not hard to just pop down pretty much anywhere and find someone to chat with. once you learn how to properly talk to a korean woman (and women in general if you're not too experienced) then finding dates here is quite easy.

4. Are there trains that go go other cities like Daegu or Inchon, and do they follow the same schedule?

lots of trains and buses. while not as punctual as japanese public transport, they're pretty spot on and generally so frequent that you don't really need to worry about anything besides missing the last one for the day.

5. I'm guessing Seoul has a subway system?

yes, one of the biggest and most expansive in the world. not as crazy as tokyo's but it can be fairly daunting.

6. Is it better to get a prepaid cellphone? I used to get those when I was in China...pretty convenient

korean nationals don't do prepaid cellphones like chinese people so it's typically relegated to uninformed foreigners. the koreans who have no issue preying on those foreigners tend to try to screw them over. plus if you want to have the best social life you can here, the chat service "kakaotalk" is absolutely mandatory and having a cellphone with constant 3g is key. my recommendation is search craigslist and take over the contract of a person who stayed for one year but has a two year contract or buy an unlocked google nexus and just pay month to month cell service with no contract.

7. As far as shopping for groceries do they bag the stuff for you or is it one of those deals where they charge you a few bits for the bag? And what's the currency used there?

it depends. most places will fill bags for you but huge supermarkets like emart and homeplus tend to make you do it yourself. many places will charge you for bigger bags but most convenient stores will not charge you for small black plastic bags.
we use the won as our currency (훤).

8. Have you guys seen any Korean films filmed in Seoul?

sure. yongsan is an area in seoul that has a large american military installation so a few movie theatres in that area actually translate the movies and play the english subtitles during the flick. but sometimes it's fun to see them just at any theatre and see how much you can understand.

For those who need to renew u.s. passports is there an embassy there to do it and what is the process like?

i've never done it but i did get extra pages added to my passport and it was quite easy. in fact they saw that i had used so many pages when i applied for the single set of pages that they gave me a second set of pages and maxed out the allowable passport size for me for free.

And regarding the dating sites if you guys know a better site to use other than the ones I listed let me know..maybe there's a local korean one that I could upload my profile

most koreans i know don't use dating sites. they just do what is called "sogetting" which is introducing friends to friends or they go "hunting" which means trying to pick up gals cold at clubs and bars. if you have enough charm and gall to chat up a potted plant you can probably do fine finding girls face-to-face.

Those are just a few questions I had...
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um. i was typing my response as tardisrider was typing his and i didn't see his response.

definitely listen to him. he'll lead you on the straight and narrow.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tardisrider wrote:

3. Dating: you can try some of those websites, but generally Koreans aren't interested in dating non-Koreans (except for other Asians). There's no club/bar/drinking culture to speak of. Very, very few Koreans drink.

4. No trains. If you need to get from city to city, you should use a bus or hitchhike. Lots of hitchhiking in Korea--perfectly socially acceptable.

5. No. There are a few buses, that's about it. You have to get a paper ticket from a kiosk, and if the kiosk is sold out, you're not allowed to get on the bus.

6. Get a pre-paid one if you can find it. There really aren't many cell phones/mobiles in Korea. If you do have one, it will be considered a novelty and you'll get lots of attention for having it. Very few smart phones. Most people have old Nokias.

8. The film industry is very small. Not many films made in Seoul or elsewhere in the country.

9. No U.S. Embassy in Korea since the war is not officially over. There's a consulate, but it's only open on Tuesday afternoons from about 2 until 4. For passport renewals you'll have to go to Tokyo or use the mail system, which isn't very reliable.

Quoted for truth.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
tardisrider wrote:

Quoted for truth.

+1 for the morning lol
mayorgc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI

There's a daily train that runs from Seoul to Incheon now.

It leaves at 8:00 in the morning.
asianfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, so dating is pretty terrible huh? I can't see how that can be the case because if it was I would imagine foreigners would be miserable like they were in some Middle Eastern country where a women being seen with a foreigner is forbidden...I once talked to a Korean girl who was attracted to Westerners and Ive read lots of profiles where they said they're looking for western guys, plus Seoul is a big city so everyone living there can't be that close minded...ah well...guess I'll just roll the dice...
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asianfan wrote:
wow, so dating is pretty terrible huh? I can't see how that can be the case because if it was I would imagine foreigners would be miserable like they were in some Middle Eastern country where a women being seen with a foreigner is forbidden...I once talked to a Korean girl who was attracted to Westerners and Ive read lots of profiles where they said they're looking for western guys, plus Seoul is a big city so everyone living there can't be that close minded...ah well...guess I'll just roll the dice...

What is this thread?

What is Dave's?

This place is strange, even for the internet this place is strange.
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asianfan wrote:
well...guess I'll just roll the dice...

Just FYI: gambling is illegal in Korea. You can leave the dice at home.
mayorgc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyi: Koreans being with foreigners is in fact forbidden. The profiles you see where girls are looking to meet foreigners are set up by the local immigration office.

And don't bring dice, they will be confiscated.
Chaucer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiamnotcool wrote:
asianfan wrote:

What is this thread?

What is Dave's?

This place is strange, even for the internet this place is strange.

+1 First few replies were funny, but this has become decidedly odd.
Allthechildrenareinsane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asianfan wrote:

If it isn't completely obvious to you by now, OP, you're being trolled pretty hard (but well, I have to say -- props to Tardisrider).

Just do a search on the forums -- plenty of answers to your questions around.

Edit:
Just saw this: http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=212817&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45.

Never mind, then. Very Happy
byrddogs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asianfan wrote:

Yeah, it's really difficult. You should start learning as much Korean as you can now. Like all Asian countries, you stand little chance with the locals if you don't know the local language. It would probably be best if you learned all of the customs and purchased some traditional clothing as well. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: