Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From Busan to Seoul - Sell me on Seoul?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel1981

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: From Busan to Seoul - Sell me on Seoul? Reply with quote

After 3 years in beautiful Busan, I'm moving off to Seoul to live and work in 2 weeks..

I really love Busan, and Haeundae where I live..

So, I'm looking for some good points about Seoul. What do you love about Seoul, what areas in Seoul do you really like, how does the Han River stack up in terms of view / waterside jogging..

Basically, trying to get pumped up about the move.. I don't know much about Seoul, so right now it's hard to get excited..
Coltronator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy, don't go.
Daniel1981

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coltronator wrote:
Easy, don't go.

It was definitely back and forth there for a few weeks on whether to go or not. Right now, the only reason is career. It is for a good career opportunity and since I'm not getting any younger I decided that I had better make the move. It's definitely a done deal, but it is very hard to leave Busan, where I planned to live and die. I plan to live here again later, but in the meantime, trying to make the best out of the reality of Seoul. Im sure there must be some good things there (other than a large expat base, which Busan has covered just fine).

My question is genuine. Is anyone really passionate and pumped about Seoul that can spread their enthusiasm?
byrddogs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Speck7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoul sucks, overcrowded, boring, plain.
caniff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoul's a disgusting cesspool for the most part. I live here mainly because I"m like Oscar the Grouch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1SiSUrvUnk and I don't want people screwing with me (as they generally don't).

It's also wonderful, but only for 5 minutes every other day - you can almost set your bio-rhythms to these things. Sometimes you might get giddy for 10 minutes, but generally only if you're really hammered (which you'll want to be to live here).

Welcome! Very Happy

Last edited by caniff on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be closer to North Korea and within artillary range.

The city is dirty, crowded, expensive. The Han River is polluted and smells like it. Jogging next to the river means you'll also be jogging next to major highways with tons of carbon monoxide to breathe in. The air quality is horrible. You might as well take up smoking.

Stay where you're at.
caniff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna say more, but the previous poster summed it up. I've been to Busan many times and unless you have a fantastic, major-step-up job opportunity I'd stay where you are.

Plus, half the population of Seoul is carrying some form of STD.

(Okay, I made up that last part, but still.)
littlelisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, why so negative about Seoul?

It won't have much views/nature things on Busan, I guess, but there's pretty much anything you could be interested happening here. If you have any obscurish hobbies, or are interested in any, there's lots here.

There are a lot of great Korean cultural activities that are subsidized/cheap, such as Korean language, art, or music classes.

Musicals and musicians/musical groups stop in Seoul often as part of world tours. Sometimes museums will get interesting visiting exhibits.

What area are you moving to?
caniff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlelisa wrote:

Jeez, I dunno. Maybe just being realistic, I guess.

Okay, I'm having a little fun and it doesn't always suck THAT bad, but c'mon. If you think the place is the cat's meow I don't know what to tell you.
littlelisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll have to agree to disagree, then, because if you can't find anything good about Seoul, then I don't know what to tell you.

Sure, I wouldn't rate it as the OMGBESTEVAR!!!! city I've been to, but I really do enjoy living here, and there's lots to like.
creeper1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: hu Reply with quote

According to some on this forum, Seoul is a tough place to get a job in.

Fair play to the OP. Going from one great location to another.

I tell you what. Give that Seoul boss of yours an ultimatum. Increase the salary by 15% for the hardship of living in Seoul or you stay in Busan.

That will show 'em.
Daniel1981

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlelisa wrote:

It won't have much views/nature things on Busan, I guess, but there's pretty much anything you could be interested happening here. If you have any obscurish hobbies, or are interested in any, there's lots here.

There are a lot of great Korean cultural activities that are subsidized/cheap, such as Korean language, art, or music classes.

Musicals and musicians/musical groups stop in Seoul often as part of world tours. Sometimes museums will get interesting visiting exhibits.

What area are you moving to?

Cool, it's good to see that someone has found some charm in Seoul. The bit about music acts coming is actually really good. I've seen a bunch of them come to Seoul but not make it to Busan.. I will have to find a good website that lists the concert dates..

I'm going to be in Gangnam Gu.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in Seoul you'll get a lot more choice of everything - good foreign restaurants alcohol and food products, live music, exhibitions, going out areas etc. I assume top foreign bands/exhibitions and the like that appear in Seoul won't often make the trip to Busan (someone living in Busan can correct me on this) Seoul will have a wider choice of direct flights abroad, better looking women, if that's important (lookers in any country tend to gravitate to the capital) A more cosmopolitan feel. Fewer stares, more people who have lived abroad and have a broader outlook on life, more and better job opportunites, better pay, from what I can gather.

Visually both cities are pretty similar except Busan seems to be more spread out to me, with the Haeundae area being miles away from the station. I'd say you made the right decision if the job's a better one.
Daniel1981

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the post~

You mentioned food variety. That's a good one.

I wonder, has anyone found a good low-carb (high fat) market or low-carb shopping venue?

Things like coconut oil, fresh butter (nothing added), pure fresh cream, avocados, variety of cheeses, etc.

I try to eat a ketogenic diet and would love to find the good spots for this kind of food.

Don't really want to debate the merrits of the diet in this thread, just looking for Seoul places for these types of foods Smile

Another thing I need to find asap is a good squash center / club.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: