Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Former US def secretary claims Koreas close to war in 2010
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it pathetic that South Korea never does anything. Koreans talk about their brothers in the North, but are unwilling to sacrifice anything. Can you imagine your home country letting a neighbor country of the same race imprison and torture people like North Korea?

I'm sure if this were happening to a neighbor of Canada, the US, or the UK, people would be like "let's roll." Even if they knew they'd lose 30% of their population, they couldn't live with themselves letting it go on. But South Koreans seem content to ignore it, and only worry when it affects South Korea. If North Koreans just torture each other; no problems. To me it shows how selfish and indifferent Koreans are to each other.

Last edited by Who's Your Daddy? on Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
I find it pathetic that South Korea never does anything. Koreans talk about their brothers in the North, but are unwilling to sacrifice anything. Can you imagine your home country letting a neighbor country of the same race imprison and torture people like what's happening in North Korea?

I'm sure if this were happening to a neighbor of Canada, the US, or the UK, people would be like "let's roll." Even if they knew they'd lose 30% of their population, they couldn't live with themselves letting it go on. But South Koreans seem content to ignore it, and only worry when it affects South Korea. If North Koreans just torture each other; no problems. To me it shows how selfish and indifferent Koreans are to each other.

I'm not so sure. Stuff was going on in Europe for years before the UN stepped in. And look at Mexico and the carribean… fair bit of failed states there too, no?
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC,

Do you mean Yugoslavia in 1995? Yeah that was pathetic too. Europeans, relying on the US. But Europe did eventually act.

Mexico and the Caribbean I don't know what you mean? Failed states like Haiti aren't torturing people like North Korea. Failed states aren't on the same level as North Korea.

==
Koreans state "we're the same race, we're the same blood, we have the same language."

I can't imagine with that thinking in any Western country, that they wouldn't take offensive action to fix it. It's been 60 years, North Korea is on it's third generation of dictator. What is South Korea waiting for? I don't know how South Koreans can watch the suffering there without taking action.

Last edited by Who's Your Daddy? on Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Steelrails

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
I find it pathetic that South Korea never does anything. Koreans talk about their brothers in the North, but are unwilling to sacrifice anything. Can you imagine your home country letting a neighbor country of the same race imprison and torture people like North Korea?

Well what exactly are they supposed to do? Start a war? It's not like they can just waltz over with trucks of food and help people, you know that whole DMZ thing and all.

And unilaterally declaring war without US backing would just be a moronic thing to do, considering China and all. Fortunately Koreans can think things through better than you apparently can.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^If they can think things through better, why haven't they figured it out?
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
CC,

Do you mean Yugoslavia in 1995? Yeah that was pathetic too. Europeans, relying on the US. But Europe did eventually act.

Mexico and the Caribbean I don't know what you mean? Failed states like Haiti aren't torturing people like North Korea. Failed states aren't on the same level as North Korea.

Agreed about the Yugo part… but the key word is "eventually". Not sure what Europe would have done if the US had done nothing. /shrug

I see parts of Mexico as a failed state - where tens of thousands are being tortured and killed. As well, have there not been a number of dictators in the Caribbean that have tortured their people?

It's hard to compare, because it's never exactly "apples to apples", but I can very much envision near any nation ignoring the plight of a suffering neighbour - especially when it would entail risking a good % of your population.
tiger fancini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Depends who ya talk to. Most of the ppl I talk to over 40 despised Noh.

It really is the circles ya run in.

The young'uns still seem to like him though. Then again, I was a bit of an idealist leftie until I matured and starting living in reality.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Who's Your Daddy? wrote:

Well what exactly are they supposed to do? Start a war? It's not like they can just waltz over with trucks of food and help people, you know that whole DMZ thing and all.

And unilaterally declaring war without US backing would just be a moronic thing to do, considering China and all. Fortunately Koreans can think things through better than you apparently can.

I'd like to see South Korean leadership to do something without wetting their panties over what the Americans will do or think. It's time to put on the big boy pants and show the world you can stand on your own two feet, for once. There's gonna be a war. But you won't choose your side. Your side is already chosen for you.

Last edited by Died By Bear on Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Former US def secretary claims Koreas close to war in 20 Reply with quote

saram_ wrote:

I don't think Korean people will be too impressed to hear either of these stories. They cannot be puppets of the US forever..

Yeah sure the US bullies South Korea in all of its decisions. Where do these posters come from?
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:

I'm sure if this were happening to a neighbor of Canada, the US, or the UK, people would be like "let's roll."
The main reason for the existence of North Korea is that cockroach nation called China (which along with North Korea should not exist either).

After driving off Philippino fisherman from the vicinity of Luzon, China is now crowing about that dangerous Japan.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Because the best course of action is the present one.

What or brilliant Who's Your Daddy is your idea? Storm the DMZ? Declare War? Send flights or ships towards NK with a bunch of cargo? Let's please hear your brilliant strategy to bring down the NK regime.

And I'm sure you'd be right at the front lines, charging across the DMZ.

Please, let's hear your brilliant plan.

Quote:
There's gonna be a war. But you won't choose your side. Your side is already chosen for you.

The belief that war is an inevitability has doomed nations. There is no reason to believe that the goal of collapsing the regime an enabling reunification is in anyway dependent upon war. In fact the whole Cold War strategy was to basically wait until the Soviet Union collapsed under the weight of its inherent contradictions. While it may be taking a bit longer with North Korea, that doesn't mean that that course of action is unsound.
AfroBurrito

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen various news outlets parsing and deconstructing Gates's book. These appear to be the same outlets which have shown continuous footage of Dennis Rodman in NK. Gates a retired Secretary of Defense and that I am aware, Dennis Rodman is not an attaché of the State Department.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Quote:

What or brilliant Who's Your Daddy is your idea? Storm the DMZ? Declare War? Send flights or ships towards NK with a bunch of cargo? Let's please hear your brilliant strategy to bring down the NK regime.

[b]Please, let's hear your brilliant plan.

I don't have a brilliant plan, but if I were South Korean I would be at the front and give my life to liberate the North. It seems South Koreans won't. That's my point, not that I have a brilliant plan.

And talking to you is a waste of time, you just go on and on. Actually I don't usually read your posts.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't the first things to go across the DMZ be mine sweepers?
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
Quote:

[b]Please, let's hear your brilliant plan.

I don't have a brilliant plan, but if I were South Korean I would be at the front and give my life to liberate the North. It seems South Koreans won't. That's my point, not that I have a brilliant plan.

And talking to you is a waste of time, you just go on and on. Actually I don't usually read your posts.

Okay. You are at the front to give your life. Are you going to charge across?

What does your post even mean? Its just a bunch of words that sound nice that have no substance behind them. You do realize that tens of thousands of S.Koreans are at the front right now, prepared to do that, right? You are at the front line, ready to give your life, now what? Please give us details

I may be a waste of time on other posts, but here is a valid question to your point- What should the Korean people do? Charge across the DMZ? Start WWIII with China and NKorea?

And everyone knows your last sentence is to give yourself an "out" because your point is ridiculous and you would never back it up. You know you made a point without thinking it through and whatever answer you give will sound like crap.

And BTW plenty of Korean people gave their lives to try and liberate the North and also to bring about democracy in S.Korea. You do realize that S.Koreans in Gwangju did more for democracy than you ever will, right?

You said that you'd do this and that. I strongly suspect that that is not the case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: