Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canada vs USA in hockey semi-finals (Friday)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Canada vs USA in hockey semi-finals (Friday) Reply with quote

I'm not really a big sports fan. I haven't watched any of the olympics so far, and merely glance at the medal standings each day. I haven't opened the sports section in a newspaper in twenty years. But I am looking forward to the US - Canada game on Friday. I watched the final four years ago and it was great stuff. I'm looking forward to watching this rematch, but I doubt very much any Korean station will cover it. Guess it's out to the pub to watch it.

Anyone know exactly what time it is on? If it's like 3am fuggetaboutit. But if it starts at a reasonable hour I will defdinitely give it a look.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the USA/Canada match begins at 2 AM.

Last week I went out to a bar to watch the US/Russia game and it was absolutely terrible....I can only imagine the s*itshow the US/Canada match will be like.
radcon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:

Last week I went out to a bar to watch the US/Russia game and it was absolutely terrible....I can only imagine the s*itshow the US/Canada match will be like.

What do you mean by "absolutely terrible"? Please describe.
yellowdove

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's anything like the US/Canada final at Rocky Mountain in 2010, it will be CROWDED. Like, if there was any sort of fire code in Korea (and I'm sure there is) it would have been broken 4 times with the amount of people in there.

I staked out a table at 10:00pm for the 4am start time, and by 2am we couldn't move at all. It was no longer our table.
augustine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympic hockey is probably my favorite sporting event, but I played it as a kid and through all of HS so that's likely why. The Russia vs US game the other day was also epic, far from terrible. Oshie!. There's so much finesse from the European style and versus the push-it north American game you get such a great... oh, right, Dave's is as much of a sports crowd as SR is an objective, non-spam machine. I find the Winter Olympics extremely enjoyable minus figure skating and that bob"sleigh" bs, pretty much. Summer ones too, but the problem is always the coverage. Archery, stupid event some korean is in, more archery... and never any F●●●●●● basketball?! Olympic coverage is pathetic and limiting to an insulting degree.

This isn't much of a hockey place obviously but they show it and it's streamable, so I spent a few days passed out on the beach during the day after watching the games all night, earning a nickname with the locals that translated roughly to "dead red guy". I just moved to a different town though, which with a bittersweet twist, happens to be overrun with Canadians. Wish I'd known that since it means I'm going to have to move again, but I'm pretty sure I won't have a problem catching this game somewhere tomorrow early afternoon, paradise+Canadians time. Four years ago was so close and this might be the best hockey game played since then; I also think the US is in a very solid position to win, but hockey is the one thing I defer to Canadians. Always theirs to lose.

I've gotten into a little curling myself, as well. Some of those endurance cross country skiing events have also been solid entertainment since half of the people physically break down in the middle, rough stuff. As well as that kamikaze g3 or whatever downhill skiing event, where the craziest mofo who doesn't eat serious shit wins. But the level of Olympic hockey is so phenomenal that it's the only event I've actually tuned into watch. That doesn't involve that brunette skipper from the Russian women's curling team, daamn...
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the USA crushes Canada, then I will know their is a God.
Joe Boxer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:

Can anyone confirm that? Thanks in advance.
IamBabo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: hockey Reply with quote

Yep 2am tomorrow.. The ladies play tonight..
catman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavares out for team Canada. With no Stamkos either I have to bet on the US winning this one.
catman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else see Finland upset Russia?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cov8uXQ1h0g
Hokie21

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
Hokie21 wrote:

Every time USA scored all the Canadians in the bar started booing really loudly and then all the Americans started chanting "USA USA USA" really loudly and then every time Russia scored all the Canadians started shouting and thumping their beer glasses on their tables and cheering so in turn the USA fans started yelling at them.

Meanwhile all the British, NZ, South Africans just looked around uneasily and the Koreans just kind of glared. I'm all for cheering and having a good time but this was just obnoxious. There was more to it but that was the most annoying part.
optik404

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
radcon wrote:
Hokie21 wrote:

Every time USA scored all the Canadians in the bar started booing really loudly and then all the Americans started chanting "USA USA USA" really loudly and then every time Russia scored all the Canadians started shouting and thumping their beer glasses on their tables and cheering so in turn the USA fans started yelling at them.

Meanwhile all the British, NZ, South Africans just looked around uneasily and the Koreans just kind of glared. I'm all for cheering and having a good time but this was just obnoxious. There was more to it but that was the most annoying part.

If you don't want to hear people being loud as shit, don't go to a bar and watch the Olympics.
Stain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
Hokie21 wrote:
radcon wrote:
Hokie21 wrote:

If you don't want to hear people being loud as shit, don't go to a bar and watch the Olympics.

You could go to any bar in the US and not hear them being loud as shit about the Olympics. Football (American football); however.
WadRUG'naDoo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The women's game just finished and it was epic. Canada was down 2-0 with about 3.5 minutes left in the third and scored 2 goals to send it into OT. And they won.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to this game. Either team could win. I give the US the edge in goal. Up front Canada has more depth, but I think the US has "that guy" who can dictate a game. On D, Canada wins hands down.

This should also be a much better game than any other Canada has had. In all of our other games the other teams were scared and simply tried to keep 5 men back and shut down Canada. They stifled us pretty well even though we dominated play in all games. The US, though, won't be scared. They'll be more offensively aggressive and we should see an exciting, open game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: