Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uni/Ex-Uni Profs/Teachers - Do You Laugh at Hagwon People?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EZE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisPK wrote:
Hello Hagwon folks,

Have you ever been asked to clean the classroom or the toilet at your hagwon? I heard that your boss ask you to do this kind of stuff at a small hagwon. Please confirm this if it's true. Just curious, not trying to put you down by any means.

Cheers,
Chris

I didn't at my first two hagwons, but I clean my classroom at the end of the day at my current one. My boss never asked me too, but the Korean English teacher was cleaning hers, so I clean mine too. It takes only 15 minutes or so, and my day is only 4.5-6.5 hours long anyway. It's a short workday, my pay is always on time, my boss is nice, she brings us pizzas, pies, and other foods to eat, and it's a great place to work.

If Wonderland would've told me to clean my classroom, I would've pulled a runner even faster than I already did since they were stealing way too much pay and it was routinely late.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="GENO123"]
PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Again GENO you make some good points but your post is mostly an exageration.

You CAN earn a good living with a related MA as a teacher. The visa you are on can also change the game to some extent.

The comparison to Walmart is hilariously wrong.

Where is the exaggeration? As I said conditions are worse than when you were in the game last. As I know you don't even teach anymore. Just cause teaching in Korea worked ok several years ago doesn't mean it works ok now or even that it works at all.

What is a good income? And what does one have to do to earn it? If you can answer the question I will be able to answer better. As I have been saying extra work is not entirely safe even if one has the correct visa. Not only that it is harder to get than in the past and rates have gone down as well.[/quote

A good income is what allows a person to pay his bills and save as well as have a decent social life (whatever that is is different for everyone).

Korea can certainly provide than for teachers and they do not need a PhD.

University positions for the most part will provide that for teachers with MAs as well.

As the market gotten tougher for teachers yes it has! However, you can still do comparatively better teaching in korea vice working at a Walmart with your social science degree (advanced or not).

China is on the upswing and is the hot market but Korea still offers good conditions.

If you are speaking about long term teachers, those that know what career planning is do well. They can earn far more than base salary at a University and can certainly get better positions through networking and upgrading their quals when needed.

I left in 2008ish and then conditions had changed due to influx of applicants. the University game was changing too but frankly speaking, those people I knew that were working in Universities then and still do now are doing quite well, most do NOT have a PhD.

At the end of the day, the Wild East days are long gone, heck they were gone in the mid 2000s, but the job market remains pretty good and university positions can for the most part provide one with a good living AND allow one to have far more flexibility in terms of time management due to the actual teaching hours a typical university instructor teaches. It ain't perfect, it won't be handed to you on a silver platter but it can certainly be done without a PhD.
LPKSA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PatrickGHBusan"]
GENO123 wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Again GENO you make some good points but your post is mostly an exageration.

You CAN earn a good living with a related MA as a teacher. The visa you are on can also change the game to some extent.

The comparison to Walmart is hilariously wrong.

Where is the exaggeration? As I said conditions are worse than when you were in the game last. As I know you don't even teach anymore. Just cause teaching in Korea worked ok several years ago doesn't mean it works ok now or even that it works at all.
What is a good income? And what does one have to do to earn it? If you can answer the question I will be able to answer better. As I have been saying extra work is not entirely safe even if one has the correct visa. Not only that it is harder to get than in the past and rates have gone down as well.[/quote

A good income is what allows a person to pay his bills and save as well as have a decent social life (whatever that is is different for everyone).

Korea can certainly provide than for teachers and they do not need a PhD.

University positions for the most part will provide that for teachers with MAs as well.

As the market gotten tougher for teachers yes it has! However, you can still do comparatively better teaching in korea vice working at a Walmart with your social science degree (advanced or not).

China is on the upswing and is the hot market but Korea still offers good conditions.

If you are speaking about long term teachers, those that know what career planning is do well. They can earn far more than base salary at a University and can certainly get better positions through networking and upgrading their quals when needed.

I left in 2008ish and then conditions had changed due to influx of applicants. the University game was changing too but frankly speaking, those people I knew that were working in Universities then and still do now are doing quite well, most do NOT have a PhD.

At the end of the day, the Wild East days are long gone, heck they were gone in the mid 2000s, but the job market remains pretty good and university positions can for the most part provide one with a good living AND allow one to have far more flexibility in terms of time management due to the actual teaching hours a typical university instructor teaches. It ain't perfect, it won't be handed to you on a silver platter but it can certainly be done without a PhD.

Come to the Middle East if you want an easy job teaching in a Uni. I work 12-16 hours a week max. Make three times as much as I made in Korea. Paid vacations, end of year bonus. I do miss Korea though. Would never work for a uni in Korea though. I would rather go Hagwon, were I to come back. Actually, when I pay the loans, I think I'll do that. I have worked at Unis in China. It's not all on the upswing. Actually, you're more likely to get screwed over in China at a Uni than a hagwon equivalent.
ricochet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha ha... LOL, stupid hagwon teachers! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: