Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Racist Chicken in Itaewon
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Racist Chicken in Itaewon Reply with quote

http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_international/621585.html
bangbayed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know which place this is?
spicy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol @ the final quote from the server at the bar in the article... not sure if the guy is intentionally being a douche or if he's just a naive moron.

as far as the name goes, i'd say it's actually fairly accurate. those are big and black. not quite sure where the brother part comes from, but Koreans do call each other that. just because all the girls here call their boyfriends big brother, doesn't automatically mean they're all incestuous.

that point aside, people need to lighten up about race stuff -- not every single minute action is racist.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the bar and who did the complaining? Could it have been created by someone working for a rival bar?
dairyairy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Many were appalled by the name of the dish at Jungle Pocha, the restaurant in Itaewon. Not only is it offensive to name the visually unattractive chicken “heukhyeong,” but also there has long been a negative stereotype of African-Americans being fond of fried chicken. Associating the two is considered taboo in the U.S.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2014/01/116_150569.html
young_clinton

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm looks delicious. When I go back I'll have to stop by there.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
mmmm looks delicious. When I go back I'll have to stop by there.

Where is this place in Itaewon?
cj1976

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next addition to the menu: Nappy Head Watermelon.
T-J

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the writer of the article has a Korean name, but something is definitely being lost in translation.

형 has other meanings besides older brother. I think this is another example of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing.

Not sure how calling something that is in fact black, black is racist.

Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the chicken any good? Looks like they put jajang sauce on it.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-J wrote:
I know the writer of the article has a Korean name, but something is definitely being lost in translation.

형 has other meanings besides older brother. I think this is another example of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing.

Not sure how calling something that is in fact black, black is racist.

In this case it does mean brother, or rather older brother. It's not supposed to be a racist term. Older Koreans do have a pretty racist term for blacks and is pretty much similar to calling them the n-word or 'boy'. Anyways the more formal term would be 흑형님 (heuk-hyeongnim).

When a guy is talking to an older guy you'll most likely just call the guy hyeong or hyeongnim (depends on how much older he is or how close the relationship is). But if you want to get specific and there are a group of guys older than you, you'll use some kind of indicator in front of the hyeong term to let the guy know you're talking to him. Either the guy's name, nickname, or just some physical characteristic.
optik404

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heuk-hyung is also slang for big, muscular black guys.
Smithington

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very disappointed by this thread. From the title I was expecting something very different indeed.
T-J

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected.

Learn something new every day.

I would have never made that connection and assumed it meant form / shape as in 과거형, 현재형, 미래형, 삼각형.

dairyairy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about that, surprise, suprise, 10 Magazine is on the case and here's their scoop.
http://www.10mag.com/korea-news/2014/01/26/black-man-chicken-now-on-sale-in-itaewon-seoul-south-korea
Quote:
Foreign resident questions the sanity of the owner of "Jungle" Pocha
A tent bar (pojangmacha) in the usually foreigner-friendly area of Itaewon called Jungle Pocha created a new fried chicken recipe with a black coating, and went for a relatively new Korean word used by young people for the its name - “흑형" (pronounced ‘heuk-hyeung”). The syllable for black is ‘흑' and the '형' is how you refer to an older brother or senior friend, and the word itself means “young black man,” and is often used to refer to a big, perhaps muscle-bound black person. It’s not at all scientific, but you can get an idea of the images it conjures up by following this link to the Google image search for the word 흑형. Only adults should click on it, but that goes for almost any Google image search nowadays.

No one thought much of it until January 18th, when a long-time foreign resident wondered publicly whether the owner of “Jungle Tent Bar” were of sane mind. That tweet still lives for now and you can read it if you speak Korean.

Today, however, it blew up in the Korean media thanks to that tweet. Read more about it in WikiTree or Yonhap News. At Yonhap they quote a person “related” to the bar saying, “It’s not a seriously meaningful name,” and “black people have come, ordered and enjoyed it too without anyone complaining before.”*

This is the tweet with the complaint- https://twitter.com/ArtfulToddger/status/424784044388126721/photo/1

Anyone know who this is?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: