Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ok for boyfriend to live in apartment provided by school?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbar612012

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Ok for boyfriend to live in apartment provided by school? Reply with quote

I will be going to Seoul to teach English in about a month and I am wondering if it is ok for my boyfriend to live with me in the apartment provided by the private school. It will be my own apartment and not shared with other teachers. We are aware the apartment will be very small but we would like to save on living expenses.

I was concerned the school would not offer me a position if they new I was part of a couple so they don't know that my boyfriend is moving to Seoul as well. He was adopted from Korea and will be getting an F-4 Visa and looking for work after we arrive. From what I have read so far it seems that it would be ok for us to both live in the apartment but I would like your opinions. Thanks!
tardisrider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fine with me.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are strict laws regarding boyfriends sharing apartments at most schools.

if you refer to chapter 13 subsection C of the agreement that you sign when you start with your school, you may find that your boyfriend must not share the same space at certain times of the day with you and that any noise infractions past the 30db threshold are punishable by the limits of your local noise statutes. these are only the things i can think of off the top of my head but there are more.

hope that helps.
Smithington

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:

if you refer to chapter 13 subsection C of the agreement that you sign when you start with your school, you may find that your boyfriend must not share the same space at certain times of the day with you and that any noise infractions past the 30db threshold are punishable by the limits of your local noise statutes. these are only the things i can think of off the top of my head but there are more.

hope that helps.

Noise statutes in Korea. How long have you been here?...And what has that got to do with the question?

Noise statutes. Very Happy
byrddogs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
wishfullthinkng wrote:

hope that helps.

Noise statutes in Korea. How long have you been here?...And what has that got to do with the question?

Noise statutes. Very Happy

Pretty sure that post was some attempt at humor. Rolling Eyes
PigeonFart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why take the risk of being refused? Some of the old timers here are conservative and might not be happy. Why reveal a side of your personal life that is frankly none of their business.

Tell them you intend to live alone. Let your boyfriend move in. It's 99.9% likely to be fine that way.

What's the probability you live near the school? (50/50)
What's the probability someone from the school sees your boyfriend move in? (unlikely)
What's the probability that person goes out of their way to mention it to the principal? (very unlikely)
What's the probability the prinicpal feels it's an important enough issue to mention to you? (even more unlikely)

If in the unlikey event someone finds out and it becomes a problem, tell them it's a "temporary guest." Then keep repeating that answer over and over again until they get tired of complaining.

Best to beg for forgivness than ask for permision. Tell them you will live alone, and let your boyfriend move in. End of story.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PigeonFart wrote:

Best to beg for forgivness than ask for permision.

Words to live by in Korea
wings

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I arrived in Korea a few weeks before my then boyfriend without mentioning it to my school. When he came I told my school that my fiance was coming to visit me. He lived with me for 3 years in my school apartment. No problem.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to the wonder twins of byrddogs and smithington this thread got un-fun pretty fast.

golfclaps. Rolling Eyes
byrddogs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:
thanks to the wonder twins of byrddogs and smithington this thread got un-fun pretty fast.

golfclaps. Rolling Eyes

No need to thank anyone other than yourself. You set the tone, as usual. You have shown many times to be "that guy". Carry on, funny man.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah what a childish retort. "no you!"

i don't often make jokes actually, you must have me confused with someone else.

do you have some kind of strange vendetta against me that recently popped up? you have been a dick in 3 different posts towards me that were completely unwarranted. i don't even know you. perhaps that time of the month for you?

carry on being lame. Laughing
byrddogs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:
ah what a childish retort. "no you!"

i don't often make jokes actually, you must have me confused with someone else.

do you have some kind of strange vendetta against me that recently popped up? you have been a dick in 3 different posts towards me that were completely unwarranted. i don't even know you. perhaps that time of the month for you?

carry on being lame. Laughing

Now, now wishfullfella.....you are breaking the rules of the TOS. Worked up much about things?
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worked up? lol. i'm not the one who decided to randomly harass someone who wasn't even addressing them throughout multiple posts. your issues are your own champ. hopefully you seek some help though cause being lame all your life isn't good for your health.

carry on! Laughing
byrddogs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:
worked up? lol. i'm not the one who decided to randomly harass someone who wasn't even addressing them throughout multiple posts. your issues are your own champ. hopefully you seek some help though cause being lame all your life isn't good for your health.

carry on! Laughing

Really now, "champ"? Calling people lame when you yourself are is pretty rich.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah you poor child. retyping your posts to try and make yourself feel better by adding that little extra zing. you must be so unpopular at parties. don't worry though byrddungs, don't let me get to you.

in fact, i normally don't waste my time addressing people like you in my off-line life, so i will stop doing so online as well if that'll make you feel better.

i'm sure there's someone else to nerd-rage on though. and plus, you might make IPIC jealous by all this rage you've got towards me. he did seem to enjoy a good fanboy... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: