Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pussies whipped!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Pussies whipped! Reply with quote

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/19/world/russia-sochi-*beep*-riot/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Guess they're going back to jail after the olympics finish.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite being brutalized, they regrouped to perform later in front of the Olympic rings outside the administrative offices in Soci:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/9742976/*beep*-Riot-whipped-pepper-sprayed-in-Sochi

I saw two of their members appear on The Colbert Report a couple weeks ago and could see that they are committed to social/political activism despite the danger ...http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/432806/february-04-2014/*beep*-riot-pt--1

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/432807/february-04-2014/*beep*-riot-pt--2
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rteacher wrote:
they are committed to social/political activism despite the danger ...

They're committed to anarchy and drawing attention to themselves....

What would you think if they took over one of your temples to perform some gratuitously obscene act? They seem to lack sensitivity or respect for others, to some degree.

Thankfully not all countries on earth have been forced to adopt western 'morality', nor should they be.
Leon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the Western morality of not whipping people in the street.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:

I never said that whipping them was ok, strawman.

I said that the type of trendy pc western morality they represent should not be foisted upon everyone. The current western idea that freedom means you get to offend the majority of people by forcing on them obscene public displays that debase human dignity - for trendy shock effect- is juvenile.

If they were working hard to raise funds for cancer research or the underprivileged then I might have more sympathy. But they appear to be little more than attention w***s.
Leon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protesting against Putin and the Orthodox Church's collaboration and corruption is trendy pc western morality, that's what debases human dignity?Corruption affects living standards just as much as cancer, maybe more so, so why is donating money for cancer or the underprivileged normatively more valid?
Titus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it wasn't completely staged it was one of the best things I've seen in a long time.

http://landdestroyer.blogspot.com/2012/08/who-or-what-is-russias-*beep*-riot.html
Quote:
Also telling, is that Oksana Chelysheva - board member of the Finnish-Russian Civic Forum and a steering committee member of the NED, convicted criminal George Soros Open Society-funded FIDH, Open Society, Ford Foundation, Sigrid Rausing Trust-funded Front Line Defenders, and US State Department-run Amnesty International-affiliated EU-Russia Civil Society Forum - is heading "*beep* Riot's" support campaign.

Chelysheva was also "Deputy Executive Director" of the Russian-Chechen Friendship Society, fully funded by the US State Department via the National Endowment for Democracy. The "Friendship Society" was essentially a public relations front of Al Qaeda-aligned Chechen terrorists ravaging Russia's Caucasus region - a plot offered new relevance as the US, NATO, and Gulf States openly support similar groups of terrorists now ravaging Syria. The "Friendship Society" served a similar function to the now discredited "Syrian Observatory for Human Rights."

The most effective way to deal with these agents of American foreign policy is to do what the Russians have done: 1) expose them as tools of American/Usury foreign policy and 2) beat them in the streets.

Let them defect to Manhattan.
Kuros

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:

I'm with Leon on this one.

*beep* Riot looks brave, immediately returning to Russia and protesting. The Russian police look brutal. A great power would just ignore *beep* Riot's antics.
stilicho25

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't really the police. These were Cossack paramilitaries. It kind of shows the limit of their usefulness. Great at providing cheap security around Sochi, not great at professional policing. Although how this is better than the frequent beatings American cops hand out to people recording them eludes me.

Titus is right by the way. Although this particular action has my sympathy due to the really terrible treatment some people receive in today's Russia, the recent leaked phone calls of American gov officials in Ukraine tell me that a whole lot of the violence occurring their is because of our efforts to destabilize Russia. They have every right to defend themselves. Obviously whipping punk rockers in the street is not a very good way to do it.
Kuros

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stilicho25 wrote:
Although how this is better than the frequent beatings American cops hand out to people recording them eludes me.

I liked the point distinguishing Cossacks, but this sentence is a total strawman.
Fox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also on board with Leon's principle of no whipping people in the streets. That seems like it would be a pretty fundamental aspect of society in which I'd even remotely wish to live.
Titus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.Riot is a carefully created agent of nation wrecking. If someone is trying to wreck your nation you at the very least owe them a public slap.

Anyway the girls were not hurt. They got their photo op for Western audiences.
Titus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A great power would just ignore *beep* Riot's antics.

There is no such thing as a great power.
Leon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
P.Riot is a carefully created agent of nation wrecking. If someone is trying to wreck your nation you at the very least owe them a public slap.

Anyway the girls were not hurt. They got their photo op for Western audiences.

Blatantly disregarding the rule of law is a great way to wreck a nation, but I don't see you advocating giving Putin a slap.
stilicho25

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros, yeah it was a stretch, but like the apologists on the main board, I want to point out that while whipping people is barbaric, we do not have the moral leeway to use violence to enforce our ideas of morality on others. Although that wasn't a position anyone here took, I do feel like that certain segments of the American gov like to use "human rights!" as a pretext to bash other countries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: