Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pussies whipped!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bigverne



Joined: 12 May 2004

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Protesting against Putin and the Orthodox Church's collaboration and corruption is trendy pc western morality, that's what debases human dignity?


How about using a frozen chicken as a dildo?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leon



Joined: 31 May 2010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I'm also on board with Leon's principle of no whipping people in the streets. That seems like it would be a pretty fundamental aspect of society in which I'd even remotely wish to live.


Also, according to what I've read about it, no one was arrested. There was discussion of the Russian anti-gay propaganda law recently, where I made the case that I was ok with it being criticized. People said it was hypocritical because the US has similar, although defunct, laws on the books, etc. I made the case that in Russia it was the context behind the law, not the actual wording, that matters. This is what I meant.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leon



Joined: 31 May 2010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigverne wrote:
Quote:
Protesting against Putin and the Orthodox Church's collaboration and corruption is trendy pc western morality, that's what debases human dignity?


How about using a frozen chicken as a dildo?


I'm open to criticism of their methods, for sure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Titus



Joined: 19 May 2012

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigverne wrote:
Quote:
Protesting against Putin and the Orthodox Church's collaboration and corruption is trendy pc western morality, that's what debases human dignity?


How about using a frozen chicken as a dildo?


Likely less than 1000 people in North America know about that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lucas



Joined: 11 Sep 2012

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How about using a frozen chicken as a dildo?


Finger lickin' good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fox



Joined: 04 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
P.Riot is a carefully created agent of nation wrecking. If someone is trying to wreck your nation you at the very least owe them a public slap.

Anyway the girls were not hurt. They got their photo op for Western audiences.


If their purpose was to get a photo op, why do you approve of the Russians providing them such a perfect one? Beating up girls in the street is ridiculous by any metric. There is no social, political, or cultural problem whose solution is, "Beat up girls in the street."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fox



Joined: 04 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
Fox wrote:
I'm also on board with Leon's principle of no whipping people in the streets. That seems like it would be a pretty fundamental aspect of society in which I'd even remotely wish to live.


Also, according to what I've read about it, no one was arrested. There was discussion of the Russian anti-gay propaganda law recently, where I made the case that I was ok with it being criticized. People said it was hypocritical because the US has similar, although defunct, laws on the books, etc. I made the case that in Russia it was the context behind the law, not the actual wording, that matters. This is what I meant.


I still feel like your emphasis on the anti-gay propaganda law was questionable. Weak rule of law is problematic in and of itself, the specifics of the law are almost irrelevant under such circumstances. Whether that law is on the books or not, the government can turn a blind eye to anti-gay violence if it wishes, or lock up a homosexual on trumped up charges, or so forth. Do you really believe the Russian law has gotten as much press time as it has because of concerns with how it interacts with the state of rule of law there? I don't, and I can acknowledge your point about the rule of law in Russia without worrying overmuch about the specific law in question.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole thing look staged.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leon



Joined: 31 May 2010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Leon wrote:
Fox wrote:
I'm also on board with Leon's principle of no whipping people in the streets. That seems like it would be a pretty fundamental aspect of society in which I'd even remotely wish to live.


Also, according to what I've read about it, no one was arrested. There was discussion of the Russian anti-gay propaganda law recently, where I made the case that I was ok with it being criticized. People said it was hypocritical because the US has similar, although defunct, laws on the books, etc. I made the case that in Russia it was the context behind the law, not the actual wording, that matters. This is what I meant.


I still feel like your emphasis on the anti-gay propaganda law was questionable. Weak rule of law is problematic in and of itself, the specifics of the law are almost irrelevant under such circumstances. Whether that law is on the books or not, the government can turn a blind eye to anti-gay violence if it wishes, or lock up a homosexual on trumped up charges, or so forth. Do you really believe the Russian law has gotten as much press time as it has because of concerns with how it interacts with the state of rule of law there? I don't, and I can acknowledge your point about the rule of law in Russia without worrying overmuch about the specific law in question.


I agree with all of this. I do wish that the media, and even the American public was sophisticated, interested, whatever, enough to present this as a huge rule of law issue. I don't care about why the media chooses to focus on something, I see that as almost irrelevant, but because of the focus on the law other stuff will come out because of it, such as people actually paying attention to a group of activists getting whipped in the street, or videos of gay people being attacked by vigilantes and not getting arrested. It is a sideways way of getting the problem out there, and it isn't ideal, but it is better than it being completely unknown, in my estimation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Titus



Joined: 19 May 2012

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Titus wrote:
P.Riot is a carefully created agent of nation wrecking. If someone is trying to wreck your nation you at the very least owe them a public slap.

Anyway the girls were not hurt. They got their photo op for Western audiences.


If their purpose was to get a photo op, why do you approve of the Russians providing them such a perfect one? Beating up girls in the street is ridiculous by any metric. There is no social, political, or cultural problem whose solution is, "Beat up girls in the street."


Nobody respects a wimp.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Titus



Joined: 19 May 2012

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
Titus wrote:
P.Riot is a carefully created agent of nation wrecking. If someone is trying to wreck your nation you at the very least owe them a public slap.

Anyway the girls were not hurt. They got their photo op for Western audiences.


Blatantly disregarding the rule of law is a great way to wreck a nation, but I don't see you advocating giving Putin a slap.


I doubt it is against the law there for a cop to use force to enforce the law. Those fellows carry whips for a reason.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leon



Joined: 31 May 2010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
Leon wrote:
Titus wrote:
P.Riot is a carefully created agent of nation wrecking. If someone is trying to wreck your nation you at the very least owe them a public slap.

Anyway the girls were not hurt. They got their photo op for Western audiences.


Blatantly disregarding the rule of law is a great way to wreck a nation, but I don't see you advocating giving Putin a slap.


I doubt it is against the law there for a cop to use force to enforce the law. Those fellows carry whips for a reason.


Unless all the reports are incorrect they were not cops. Also, I truly doubt whipping without due process is enshrined in formal Russian law. I guess they deserve a slap by your metric, considering the face Russia lost.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leon



Joined: 31 May 2010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
Fox wrote:
Titus wrote:
P.Riot is a carefully created agent of nation wrecking. If someone is trying to wreck your nation you at the very least owe them a public slap.

Anyway the girls were not hurt. They got their photo op for Western audiences.


If their purpose was to get a photo op, why do you approve of the Russians providing them such a perfect one? Beating up girls in the street is ridiculous by any metric. There is no social, political, or cultural problem whose solution is, "Beat up girls in the street."


Nobody respects a wimp.


But everyone respects thugs who hit girls?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Titus



Joined: 19 May 2012

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were designated security. Uniformed, armed men enforcing state laws. Whatever you want to call them.

Quote:
I guess they deserve a slap by your metric, considering the face Russia lost.


What face did Russia lose? Western progs are global outliers. Maybe Russia lost face to you, but certainly not to Russians. Though I guess this is the difference. P.Riot is for you. You are the one being propagandized. The Russian reaction is for Russian consumption.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Titus



Joined: 19 May 2012

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
Titus wrote:
Fox wrote:
Titus wrote:
P.Riot is a carefully created agent of nation wrecking. If someone is trying to wreck your nation you at the very least owe them a public slap.

Anyway the girls were not hurt. They got their photo op for Western audiences.


If their purpose was to get a photo op, why do you approve of the Russians providing them such a perfect one? Beating up girls in the street is ridiculous by any metric. There is no social, political, or cultural problem whose solution is, "Beat up girls in the street."


Nobody respects a wimp.


But everyone respects thugs who hit girls?


I thought progs were all about equality?

Those girls are agents of American degenerate imperialism. Nation wreckers. If you let that sort of thing get out of hand you end up with Ukraine. You have to target the agents and their handlers. Look what America has done to Ukraine. Post-Olympics/G8 I expect this to get a whole bunch more heated. The Russians are sounding more like me everyday.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International