Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

question on ending a reply with "cannot"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raewon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: question on ending a reply with "cannot" Reply with quote

I've just stumbled on a question someone (an English teacher) asked on the net a few years ago. Their question was whether or not "cannot" be used at the end of the sentence in short replies.
For example:
Can you swim?
No, I cannot.

Is that reply grammatically correct, or does "can't" have to be used? If "cannot" is incorrect, I would like to know why.

It seemed an odd question, so I wondered why it was asked. I checked several grammar books and couldn't find any sentences that end in "cannot". (But there also wasn't any note warning against it.)

Thanks for any replies to this one.
le-paul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that cannot would put more emphasis on the negative implication?

However, in real life, I often find that when using an American pronunciation, it often helps for clarity when using 'can not' and the verb begins with a 't' or 'd' etc., to use 'cannot' instead of can't because of the contractions (for example 'I can't talk now' - sounds the same as 'I can talk now').
isitts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
I would have thought that cannot would put more emphasis on the negative implication?

However, in real life, I often find that when using an American pronunciation, it often helps for clarity when using 'can not' and the verb begins with a 't' or 'd' etc., to use 'cannot' instead of can't because of the contractions (for example 'I can't talk now' - sounds the same as 'I can talk now').

In "I can talk now", the "a" in "can" is pronounced with a schwa so it doesn't sound the same as "can't", which doesn't have a schwa. Plus, the intonation of those two sentences are different.
isitts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: question on ending a reply with "cannot" Reply with quote

raewon wrote:
I've just stumbled on a question someone (an English teacher) asked on the net a few years ago. Their question was whether or not "cannot" be used at the end of the sentence in short replies.
For example:
Can you swim?
No, I cannot.

Is that reply grammatically correct, or does "can't" have to be used? If "cannot" is incorrect, I would like to know why.

They're the same thing. Can't is a contraction of cannot, so....not sure I see the problem. It sounds a little strange (as in, overly formal) to use cannot that way, but le-paul gives a good example of when you might use it.
Stain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use "cannot" and "can't" or "can not" as well at the end of a sentence as these three are acceptable spellings. "Cain't" is out of the question, for the time being. Give it a couple years on that one.
raewon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for all of the replies - they were all helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: