Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pattaya, Thai

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ballerina2012

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Pattaya, Thai Reply with quote

Hi all,

Anyone been here? Good or bad? It is very inexpensive to go there so any info would be appreciated. TY!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Pattaya, Thai Reply with quote

Ballerina2012 wrote:
Hi all,

Anyone been here? Good or bad? It is very inexpensive to go there so any info would be appreciated. TY!

NOT cheap but can be.

Cheap dives to crash are 500-700 baht (~$20 range).

Decent hotels and/or resorts will cost anywhere from 2500-4500 thb/day.
http://www.sawadee.com/ .

Western food will cost 250-300/plate at your average restaurant (in Pattaya) and go up to 1000+ thb at some of the nicer places.

Short stay tourists are routinely gouged for just about everything but at least you get some sun and sand for your money. Decent food abounds.

You can do a decent holiday for about $100/day (not including airfare).
You can do a back-packer style holiday for $40/day (even cheaper for long stays - $500-700/month).

google for tourist attractions (besides the beach) in the area.
Jomtien is better than main Pattaya.
The further south you go the more Russians you will encounter.
If you are looking for a sexpat package then south Pattaya (close to walking street) will fill your boots.

Ballerina2012

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for the reply.. I will have my 12 year old daughter with me, so the more peaceful and quiet the better. No backpacker, I am too old for that!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballerina2012 wrote:
Thank for the reply.. I will have my 12 year old daughter with me, so the more peaceful and quiet the better. No backpacker, I am too old for that!

There are lots of places down on Jomtien beach (where we go when we have time to head for the beach).

Jomtien Garden is nice with a child. OK pool, across the street from the beach, decent food, breakfast included and easy enough to get everywhere else for a small fee 50-200 baht for a Songthaew to anywhere in Pattaya.

We have also stayed at the Natural Park Resort (decent rooms and food but a long walk from the front desk to the rooms. )

Bus tours to nearby places (eg: Nong Nooch Garden) are easily arranged.

Scorpion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pattaya is not exactly a place I would be taking a twelve year old child. It's basically an open-air brothel and, unless a person is looking for that type of scene, i'd look elsewhere in Thailand.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Pattaya is not exactly a place I would be taking a twelve year old child. It's basically an open-air brothel and, unless a person is looking for that type of scene, i'd look elsewhere in Thailand.

Only downtown.

Get away from beach road, soi 3-soi 6 and walking street and its not bad.

Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:

+1

Pattaya is no place to take a child. It is one big red-light district.
ghostrider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum which a 12 year old child may find very interesting.
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first went to Pattaya with my wife and an 8-year old daughter, not knowing any better. She was so young that she simply didn't know what was going on, and we hightailed it out of there to Jomtien. Much better, cleaner, and more kid-friendly. You don't need your daughter finding used birth control on the beach.

Jomtien is fine and has banana boat rides and other amusements. Lots of Korean tourists on packages stop by there, but it shouldn't be too crowded. There's a nearby zoo (Sriracha) that's fun. There's a little island (Ko Samet) you could do a day trip to, or even stay on. It's been a while, but Samet was really quiet if that's what you like.
Drew345

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jomtien beach is fine.
Just dont go to Pattaya beach road. Don't go anywhere inside (closer to the beach) than second road in Pattaya and the rest (including Jomtien beach) is all fine. Central shopping mall, and the other mall (with Ripley's believe it or not) are OK too.
Lunar Groove Gardener

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find it best to spend a day in Pattaya.
Then go to Koh Samet(a quick ferry ride) right off the coast and stay there for several days.
Excellent beach(much better than Pattaya). Good restaurants. Inexpensive. Family friendly.
Swim, snorkel, boat tours etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: