Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kim Yu-Na second place
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Kim Yu-Na second place Reply with quote

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/olympics-sotnikova-takes/1007010.html

Quote:
Kim watched in tears as the scores came up putting her second behind four-time Russian national champion Sotnikova, who finished runner-up at the Europeans behind countrywoman Julia Lipnitskaia last month.

The Korean media is already in a rage!

On a brighter note, her face is unlikely to be plastered all over buses and on those annoying TV adverts, selling phones/cup ramen/dish cloths and lube!
amo_jh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreans do go way overboard with their ultra nationalistic excitement, or disappointment in this case, regarding Yuna Kim. However, she was clearly robbed of gold. How the Russian scored 20 points higher than her personal best score when she stumbled on a jump, and how Yuna's perfectly clean program didn't even earn her top 5 personal best scores, is beyond me. The judges grossly overscored Adelina in every possible way, and underscored Kim and Kostner in GOE and PCS in every possible way. The gold medal should've been a close race between Kim and Kostner. Clean Adelina should never beat clean Kim or Kostner.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Yuna's practically flawless performance was beautiful and certainly worthy of Olympic Gold again, but the Russian girl got a big boost from her home crowd and delivered a strong performance - including bonus points for extra jumps. So it wasn't exactly a robbery, but even many non-Koreans think that the judging (now done mostly anonymously) could have been better ...http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/yuna-kim-figure-skating-sochi-olympics-controversy/
Rteacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over 1.5 million irate fans have signed this petition demanding an investigation into the judging: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/petition-to-investigate-adelina-sotnikova-s-figure-skating-gold-medal-over-yuna-kim-already-over-1-25-million-signees--breaks-site-records-083114477.html
Yaya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many non-Russian experts have blasted the decision, including Katarina Witt. The inclusion of a judge who had been suspended for a year for trying to fix a competition and the wife of the head of the Russian skating federation just adds to the scandal.

I'm pretty much of the belief that part of the 51 billion dollars Russia spent to host the Games was involved.
optik404

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obvious the Russian scores were inflated. One extra jump and she wins by such a large margin?

Quick, someone post the Roy Jones Jr fight.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
Obvious the Russian scores were inflated. One extra jump and she wins by such a large margin?

I don't know anything about figure skating but from what I've been reading about the controversy, it seems that you may be on to something with the inflated scores. I came across this this morning and it says something similar:
Quote:
• Sotnikova landed more jumps

Sotnikova completed seven triple jumps, while Kim completed six. The jump that Kim didn't attempt – the triple loop – is worth 5.3 points. So that accounts for much of the 5.76-point difference.

Quote:
• Overall, Sotnikova's program was more difficult

Sotnikova's layback spin and footwork were Level 4, while Kim only had Level 3. Overall, the difference in level gave Sotnikova nearly one more point in her favor.

Quote:
• Sotnikova was generously scored.

Every element has an assigned value, i.e. the aforementioned triple loop is worth 5.3 points. Skaters can earn a negative or positive grade of execution (GOE) on each element, ranging from -3 for a fall to +3 for flawless execution. Sotnikova earned far, far more +3 GOEs on her elements than any other skater.

There's no question she deserved positive GOE on jumps – they were big and airy. But one of her jumps earned GOE ranging from -1 to +3. That's a huge spread.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/how-adelina-sotnikova-beat-yuna-kim-figure-skating-controversy-135621850.html
hubbahubba

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuna needed to step it up and show some "emotion" after the Russian rocked the house. She didn't--she skated clean--but boring--no fire. Game Over. You need to step it up at times--she didn't
Rteacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was rooting for Kim (since I've often half-jokingly stated chonam hanguk saram imnida), but I don't think the judging was that bad. However, there is at least the appearance of impropriety - as suggested by these photos: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/russian-judge-caught-hugging-gold-180512898.html
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
Many non-Russian experts have blasted the decision, including Katarina Witt.

...and do we ever see Koreans protesting or sympathizing when athletes from other nations get short-changed?
optik404

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
Yaya wrote:
Many non-Russian experts have blasted the decision, including Katarina Witt.

...and do we ever see Koreans protesting or sympathizing when athletes from other nations get short-changed?

Have you ever searched Korean media outlets to check whether Koreans have protested or sympathized when athletes from other nations get short-changed? I'm assuming no.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
• Overall, Sotnikova's program was more difficult

Sotnikova's layback spin and footwork were Level 4, while Kim only had Level 3. Overall, the difference in level gave Sotnikova nearly one more point in her favor.

And who determines difficulty? Also the judges. As Yaya says:

Yaya wrote:
The inclusion of a judge who had been suspended for a year for trying to fix a competition and the wife of the head of the Russian skating federation just adds to the scandal.

The Koreans are right to be outraged on this one.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To her credit, Kim Yuna was a class act throughout... http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/02/the-sad-perfect-end-of-kim-yu-nas-figure-skating-reign/283986/
Scorpion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All discussions of Kim Yuna, and all things olympics, must come to an end.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:

And who determines difficulty?

I hate to be a stickler on this but there are actual handbooks the judges are supposed to follow that provide guidelines set forth by the governing body, such as those listed below. This way, a judge from France and one from Canada will both know what a contestant needs to do to reach a level 4 difficulty.
https://www.usfigureskating.org/content/IJS%20Handbook.pdf
http://www.usfsa.org/content/2013-14%20ID%20Handbook%20for%20Technical%20Panels.pdf
http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pair-skating-and-ice-dance/isu-judging-system/single-and-pair-skating
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: