Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KT and Olleh wifi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drew345

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: KT and Olleh wifi Reply with quote

I am looking to upgrade my smartphone and thinking of switching from LG to KT. Even though I have been with LG for 8 years, they won't let me buy a new phone on a two year contract (which gets a 50% discount off phone price).
Anyway, I am interested in KT because often the coffee shops don't have their own wifi, they seem to always have "Olleh". If I get a KT phone with 4G service, then does that come with an Olleh account for logging in to coffee shop wifi?
Any info from KT users appreciated. Can you log into Olleh at coffee shops (and on the subway I heard) with your KT account?
Thanks,
Drew
yfb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KT smartphone users can use any Olleh wifi point out there. You don't 'log into' the point per se, it's a certificate automatically installed on your smartphone that acts as your credentials.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yfb wrote:
KT smartphone users can use any Olleh wifi point out there. You don't 'log into' the point per se, it's a certificate automatically installed on your smartphone that acts as your credentials.

This

It works extremely well 95% of the time.

The only time it doesnt work so well is on the subway at certain locations (Dongdaemun I'm looking at you) and during rush hour when the half a billion people descend upon the subway system in an ant like swarm.
Drew345

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the KT store to look at some phones and ask about the Olleh wifi.
They told me that one the phone can connect to Olleh wifi, we can't connect our laptop to Olleh wifi. When I asked about tethering our phone to our laptop to surf the web with Olleh, they said that was not possible. They said is was only possible to tether from the 4G network through the phone to the laptop.
(Note: I saw bluetooth tethering was an option, so not sure if they really disable that feature when on Olleh wifi or not).

So, with KT service and Olleh wifi everywhere, can you really not use that wifi on your laptop? Or is there a way around that? That would kind of kill it for me.
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: