Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One in four Americans 'don't know the Earth orbits the Sun'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yodanole

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP concerned ignorance. Little wonder that religion soon appeared.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yodanole wrote:
The OP concerned ignorance. Little wonder that religion soon appeared.

Piss off Yoda, it was supposed to be a joke. It's the freaks on Daves that can't go 2 minutes without arguing about something you should direct your vitriol toward.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
Underwaterbob wrote:

And here ends any chance of discussion, if ever there was any.

Ok then... Up to you.

No, you are the one who flat out stated "If it doesn't agree with creationism, it's bad science."

If your argument is that whatever doesn't agree with you is wrong, there is no point in "debating" you.

Quote:
Evolutionist arguments are pure deception. They are very easily, easily destroyed. But sadly people will come out with all kinds of ways to avoid and divert. I truly hope and pray you don't waste your time believing that garbage. Good luck.

I also wish you good luck with the garbage that you believe.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quoted a verse of the bible to our local believer here that says "Do not be haughty... Never be wise in your own sight." and he immediately told me that the science that I trust is "easily, easily destroyed" and "garbage".

I guess Julius thinks that science and the bible are equally open to his twisted interpretation.
Fox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwaterbob wrote:
I guess Julius thinks that science and the bible are equally open to his twisted interpretation.

To be fair, you keep enabling him and validating him by giving him attention on the matter. How many more years of his nonsense are you going to endure? It's not like his underlying position of "Biblical literalism is absolute fact, anything which even remotely supports it is to be unquestioningly accepted, anything which contradicts it is to be absolutely denied," has been some secret. And his posting style barely even passes the Turing Test: he reads through posts supporting evolution, links creationist website talking points if he can find applicable ones, and blatantly ignores anything which his creationist websites don't address, behaving more like an automated script than an actual, self-aware human being.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
And his posting style barely even passes the Turing Test...

Ouch!

Stain wrote:
Religion is a facet of evolution. Whatever it takes to keep surviving. The promise of afterlife is a very motivating factor in this life to thrive and be the fittest.

Brilliant, no? How very existential.
Smithington

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the weekend I watched the debate between Bill Nye and Ken Ham, the founder of the Creationist Museum in Kentucky. It was like watching an adult trying to explain science to a child, trying to explain to him that, mathematically, Santa could not hit that many houses in one night. And Ham says, well you weren't there in the past. You don't know how fast the sleigh can move on Christmas Eve. It was just sad. Then Ham talks about how only two of each "kind" were on the boat so that the total number of animals was only around fourteen thousand, not millions. (The same nonsense Julius was talking about.) And from those original "two of each kind" (two dogs, two monkeys, two rodents, etc.) we get the great diversity of life we see today. Not only is this absurd, but it would mean that each and every day since the flood we would have seen about 30 new species pop up out of nowhere. I farmer would go to bed at night and in the morning there'd be a new species to feed. This would still be going on today. After the news and weather reports on CNN, the anchor would say "And now here's John Berkley with todays new species." It's just laughable. But when this was pointed back to Ham he again asserts "that you weren't there." Childish nonsense.

Anyway, here's a clip of the debate. Anyone who is interested can watch the full thing on youtube. I for one was face-palming myself throughout the debate. I have no idea how Nye kept his composure. When the moderator asked him if there was anything that would change his view of evolution, he said yes and gave some examples of discoveries that would shake his belief in evolution. When Ham was asked the same thing about his belief in creation, he answered 'No". Therein lies the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4OhXQTMOEc
Stain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
Fox wrote:

Ouch!

Stain wrote:
Religion is a facet of evolution. Whatever it takes to keep surviving. The promise of afterlife is a very motivating factor in this life to thrive and be the fittest.

I proposed the idea to my dad one day and he was curious as to how I could be so stupid.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stain wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:
Fox wrote:

Ouch!

Stain wrote:

I proposed the idea to my dad one day and he was curious as to how I could be so stupid.

If your father is/was religious, he probably didn't like the idea.
Just about everything most people don't like is stupid.
Stain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
Stain wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:
Fox wrote:

Ouch!

Stain wrote:

That's the funny part Cosmic, he's not religious at all. He just thinks all theories about things are crap. Coupled with the fact that he knows I'm an idiot, it was an easy deduction on his part.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Underwaterbob wrote:

To be fair, you keep enabling him and validating him by giving him attention on the matter. How many more years of his nonsense are you going to endure? It's not like his underlying position of "Biblical literalism is absolute fact, anything which even remotely supports it is to be unquestioningly accepted, anything which contradicts it is to be absolutely denied," has been some secret. And his posting style barely even passes the Turing Test: he reads through posts supporting evolution, links creationist website talking points if he can find applicable ones, and blatantly ignores anything which his creationist websites don't address, behaving more like an automated script than an actual, self-aware human being.

Well, it was always "Junior" before. Though I'd suspected this was his sock for some time. It still might not be the same person, this one seems even less coherent than Junior was.

As far as "enabling" him is concerned, I'm just here to blow some spare time at work and poke holes in faulty logic. It's (marginally) better than just letting him run amok with no counterpoint to his argument besides those calling him a nutcase. Though I suppose if we did leave him alone, he might just eat his own tail and we'd be done with him once and for all...
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stain wrote:
The Cosmic Hum wrote:
Stain wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:
Fox wrote:

Ouch!

Stain wrote:

That's the funny part Cosmic, he's not religious at all. He just thinks all theories about things are crap. Coupled with the fact that he knows I'm an idiot, it was an easy deduction on his part.

Your honesty is humbling. Wink
Smithington

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the funny thing, religious folk like to talk about science as "the language of God" while the bible is "the word of God". Then surely the two should jive. Both should say the earth is 5000 years old, or both should say the earth is 4.6 billion years old. But they don't. If the earth is young, and creationists say it is, why does every single bit of scientific evidence ever collected and analyzed suggest that it is old. Why would God create such deceptions that lead people away from their faith?

But putting all of that aside and, for the sake of argument, pretend that evidence for a young earth, Noah, and the flood is overwhelming. The flood happened. Now we have to ask the question of why a deity would do something so evil as commit genocide against the human race. How is that a moral being? How is mass murder of men, women and children the answer to anything? What crime did the children, invalids, the elderly, mentally handicapped and blind commit deserving of death (by drowning no less). It's a monstrous tale that makes Hitler and Pol Pot look like amateurs. How can this deity, in the afterlife, sit in judgment of anyone? A murderer stands before YHWH and is condemned for his crime. The man start, "But you...." Before he could get the words out the gates of hell open and he is tossed into a lake of fire. Lovely. Seems like a completely reasonable chap. You commit one murder (or steal a box of cookies) and you get eternal punishment. You kill millions of people and you get off the hook.

Only problem is (besides the monstrosity of it all, and the fact that it all started because a rib woman was tricked by a talking snake into eating a poisoned apple from a magical tree Confused ) is that the flood story and all the mass killing doesn't fit...theologically. Wasn't YHWH planning to send Jesus to die for humanity's sins? Why didn't he just stick to that plan instead of wiping everyone out "because of their sins". He could've just moved Jesus' appearance forward and YHWH could have taken out his wrath on Jesus instead of humanity (which is what Christians tell us actually happened when he was crucified). There was absolutely no reason for this holocaust. It was avoidable, unnecessary and ineffective. Surely, being omniscient, he knew humanity would keep on sinning and that the mass murder he was inflicting on five year old kids and paraplegics would achieve nothing. Yet he decided to do it anyway. By what definition is that not evil? By what definition is that good?

The truth is that YHWH is a moral monster. There simply is no getting away from that. Anyone who thinks otherwise really needs to spend some time on a shrink's bench. Because if this is an entity that meets your definition of "good" and "love" you're pretty messed up psychologically. But you can't question the insistence that he is loving. You don't dare, because if you question his love and he catches you he will torture you with fire...for eternity. So better just to believe in his love. That way he won't torture you.

Religious people are truly messed up.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care either way. Live and let live I say. Why can't both sides just back off the argument, think what they want and leave everyone else alone? Why do the bible thumpers have to shove it down our throats? Why does the other side have to constantly deride the bible thumpers? It would be nice to see them both give it a rest.

BTW, good posts Smith, enjoyed reading the last two.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stain wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:
Fox wrote:

Ouch!

Stain wrote:

lulz

Well it is a little more complicated than what you laid out, but some would agree. The Cliffs Notes version:

1. Humans switch over to an agrarian society and cease to be nomadic
2. Hierarchies form and someone gets the bright idea of putting a system into place to guarantee that hierarchy
3. You go from having unorthodox, pagan religions all about, to centralized, orthodox religions

It's just a theory. Wink The book Jitterbug Perfume toys around with the idea a bit.

I got sucked into an argument recently with a couple of friends of mine. They are atheist, and I am agnostic - and feel that one's "religion" is a personal belief system that you use or adopt to help give reason to your existence. And yet my two friends were just as vociferous about the fact that I admitted to believing in something - without ever even beginning to clarify what it was, and certainly not falling in line with anything orthodox - as a religious person gets about atheism. I was surprised, they became quite aggressive and condescending in a way, and revealed the polarizing nature of the issue.

Humans need to have faith in and believe in something, even if it is science. It is necessary for survival, because if one were to say, "There is nothing, there is no higher purpose to this, I am an insect working my way through metal foliage to reproduce and die and become nothingness," it's all really very bleak and uninspiring. At the very least, one needs to be able to say, "The atoms in me came from a star! Huzzah!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: