Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are people saying there about Kim Yu Na not winning?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pest2



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/#q=victor+ahn

Viktor Ahn, also known as Ahn Hyun-soo and Victor An, is a Russian short track speed skating athlete of South Korean descent. After competing for South Korea since childhood, in 2011 he became a Russian citizen and now races for the Russian team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yaya



Joined: 25 Feb 2003
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pest2 wrote:
https://www.google.com/#q=victor+ahn

Viktor Ahn, also known as Ahn Hyun-soo and Victor An, is a Russian short track speed skating athlete of South Korean descent. After competing for South Korea since childhood, in 2011 he became a Russian citizen and now races for the Russian team.


Korea shot itself in the foot by allowing Ahn to sign for Russia, and rumor has it that the U.S. wanted him badly, too, but didn't cough up as much cash.

The infighting among Koreans is legendary, and thus Korea had one of its former nationals win THREE golds in Sochi for the Russians.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yaya



Joined: 25 Feb 2003
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Browning, a former Olympic figure skater who remains involved with the sport, couldn’t pinpoint why Sotnikova had just pulled off a major upset of the 2010 Olympic champion, how could fans and television viewers be expected to understand what happened?

Sotnikova scored 149.95 points in the free skate. It was a massive leap from her previous best, recorded last month, of 131.63. I asked Wylie how he would explain Sotnikova’s sudden improvement to the casual fan. He paused, and couldn’t come up with an answer.

“It’s figure skating at its finest, right?” he said.

Everyone around him laughed.


http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/21/sports/olympics/adelina-sotnikovas-upset-victory-is-hard-to-figure.html?_r=0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nate1983



Joined: 30 Mar 2008

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should resolve this fair and square with an online poll Cool

Kim wins by 10 billion votes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
On the other hand



Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Location: I walk along the avenue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pest2:

Yeah, there's probably been a bit of bad sportsmanship over here. But nothing approaching this level of violent stupidity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pest2



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah? I kid you not, I've gotten one death threat and several 1-2 page long personal messages amounting to nothing more than calling me names and hoping I die a painful death and stuff like that here on Dave's ESL cafe since I started this thread. Now let's see, I wonder who would have cared enough about this to send such things? hmmm


On the other hand wrote:
pest2:

Yeah, there's probably been a bit of bad sportsmanship over here. But nothing approaching this level of violent stupidity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yaya



Joined: 25 Feb 2003
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real issue behind the controversy over the results of the ladies event, however, concerns not how well or poorly individuals skated, but the fact that the judging of figure skating has lost all credibility.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/02/21/what-happened-with-the-ladies-in-sochi/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AsiaESLbound



Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Location: Truck Stop Missouri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on Sunday thourgh Yahoo that Korea claimed racism was reason they didn't win the gold, but were simply told to deal with it.

Was it that Kim Youna has smooth perfecct moves, but looked like a programmed machine regurgitating a rehearsed chorography from wrote memory where they wanted to see random free spirited skaters showing up skills at the spur of the moment? It worked in 2010, but a memorized routine isn't creative enough in 2014. Shucks, I know it was a huge blow to millions of Koreans the past 2 days. It's no longer worth talking about Kim Youna since now a national level embarassment and new anger is propagating more seeds of inferiority. Interesting situation...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AsiaESLbound wrote:
I read on Sunday thourgh Yahoo that Korea claimed racism was reason they didn't win the gold, but were simply told to deal with it.

Was it that Kim Youna has smooth perfecct moves, but looked like a programmed machine regurgitating a rehearsed chorography from wrote memory where they wanted to see random free spirited skaters showing up skills at the spur of the moment? It worked in 2010, but a memorized routine isn't creative enough in 2014. Shucks, I know it was a huge blow to millions of Koreans the past 2 days. It's no longer worth talking about Kim Youna since now a national level embarassment and new anger is propagating more seeds of inferiority. Interesting situation...


To answer your "question", no it was not, and you have zero clue as to what you're talking about. Every routine is rehearsed and choreographed and practiced ad nausem until the skaters have it memorized so much that they could do it blindfolded. Didn't you notice that everyone's routines from the Team Skate portion was the same as their singles routine?

But hey, lets not learn anything about the sport, do research, or actually watch the frickin event, lets instead launch a stereotype-filled, borderline bigoted blast on Dave's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AsiaESLbound



Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Location: Truck Stop Missouri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
AsiaESLbound wrote:
I read on Sunday thourgh Yahoo that Korea claimed racism was reason they didn't win the gold, but were simply told to deal with it.

Was it that Kim Youna has smooth perfecct moves, but looked like a programmed machine regurgitating a rehearsed chorography from wrote memory where they wanted to see random free spirited skaters showing up skills at the spur of the moment? It worked in 2010, but a memorized routine isn't creative enough in 2014. Shucks, I know it was a huge blow to millions of Koreans the past 2 days. It's no longer worth talking about Kim Youna since now a national level embarassment and new anger is propagating more seeds of inferiority. Interesting situation...


To answer your "question", no it was not, and you have zero clue as to what you're talking about. Every routine is rehearsed and choreographed and practiced ad nausem until the skaters have it memorized so much that they could do it blindfolded. Didn't you notice that everyone's routines from the Team Skate portion was the same as their singles routine?

But hey, lets not learn anything about the sport, do research, or actually watch the frickin event, lets instead launch a stereotype-filled, borderline bigoted blast on Dave's.


While most agree Kim Yuna deserved the gold, I should had cited the source supporting what I wrote so you couldn't say I made it up. Guess I too should had said she was robbed of gold instead of saying her excellent well choreographed performance was too canned.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/deal-with-it--south-korea--adelina-sotnikova-beat-yuna-kim-fair-and-square-152619212.html?bcmt=comments-postbox&bcmt_s=p&bcmt=1393126141046-dcc0e7c7-8202-4d87-923d-300db569286f&_profileOut=comment
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AsiaESLbound wrote:


While most agree Kim Yuna deserved the gold, I should had cited the source supporting what I wrote so you couldn't say I made it up. Guess I too should had said she was robbed of gold instead of saying her excellent well choreographed performance was too canned.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/deal-with-it--south-korea--adelina-sotnikova-beat-yuna-kim-fair-and-square-152619212.html?bcmt=comments-postbox&bcmt_s=p&bcmt=1393126141046-dcc0e7c7-8202-4d87-923d-300db569286f&_profileOut=comment


Your source says nothing about rote memorization and a spontaneous and creative performance. It also mentioned "electrifying the crowd", which sounds fine on the surface, but of course when the skater has home ice advantage that point becomes less convincing. The person also mentions things like "grace and beauty" but that should be irrelevant when it was the technical aspects of her performance that were the margin of victory. And Dan Wetzel is not known for his figure skating expertise. He is a general sports writer and his lack of expertise is telling in his amateurish assessment of "she attempted more triple jumps". He also claims that it was "a general assessment of the judges", but a look at the cards shows wildly varying opinion. There are other articles out there that make a convincing case for Sotnikova, this one isn't one of them.

And there was nothing random about this skater. She was Russian in a Russian crowd with a judge that hugged her afterwards. Now, I'm not signing any protests or saying the result should be overturned, but let's not chalk this result up to "rote memorization", "grace and beauty" "random free spirited skaters" or "more triple jumps". It is a lot more nuanced than that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Cosmic Hum



Joined: 09 May 2003
Location: Sonic Space

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
It is a lot more nuanced than that.

Yes, but how nuanced?
Quote:
She was Russian in a Russian crowd with a judge that hugged her afterwards.

Only that nuanced.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheUrbanMyth



Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Location: It's not a superiority complex when you really are superior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What are people saying there about Kim Yu Na not winning Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
pest2 wrote:
I can only imagine, the world's worst sportsman must be up in arms about one of their only hopes to win a gold not winning that gold... Are kids in your classes and drunken ajoshis pounding the pavement in protest? Are they making up all kinds of excuses for how the Russians must have dulled Yu Na's skate blades or poisoned her pre-event soap? I'd love to hear...


You talk about "world's worst sportsman" and then you write something like that. Do you know what a mirror is?


This +100
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Underwaterbob



Joined: 08 Jan 2005
Location: In Cognito

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing this entire debacle has proved is that judged sports should be removed from the Olympics entirely.

Also, while I didn't watch the performance, I agree that Sotnikova should have won if she did indeed pull off more, more difficult jumps than Kim. At least that's a somewhat objective measure of their respective performances rather than "Her's was prettier and more perfect!" Save that shit for the beauty pageants.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International