Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Register with your embassy today ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Emergency Evacuation Plan (American citizens) Reply with quote

Emergency Evacuation Plan (American citizens)
http://usembassy.state.gov/seoul/wwwh3593.html

This is from the USA embassy:

In an emergency situation, information is critical. You should monitor local media, including the Armed Forces Network-Korea (AFN-K) stations listed below.
http://usembassy.state.gov/seoul/wwwh3597.html

If you are in Seoul, these are the stations:

Radio AM 1530
Radio FM 102.7
TV Channel 34

------------------------

Depending on circumstances, the Embassy and USFK might decide to open all or only some of the following Evacuation Centers. US citizens should listen to AFN-K radio & television for instructions on where and when to proceed. AFKN will be the primary source of information and instruction.
http://usembassy.state.gov/seoul/wwwh3596.html

If you are in SEOUL - These are the evacuation sites:

Three Civilian Sites South of the Han, currently:
Seoul Combined Sports Stadium
Mokdong Ice Rink
Kyonggi Boys High School (near Intercontinental Hotel)

*Yongsan Army Garrison South Post, Yongsan, Seoul
*Hannam Village, Hannam-dong, Seoul

*Note: These US bases will probably close early and will not accept evacuees not associated with the U.S. government.
Homer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registering is a good idea.
Panicking is not.
I registered when I got here in 1997.
There are no real signs of war here yet. Just some nervousness due to the US war in Iraq.
These are two different situations NK and Iraq I mean.
Anda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Registering is one thing but taking notice of your Embassy sites and storing some food and water as advised is of the upmost importance. We and especially non-U.S. personal don't have any garrantee of a flight out of Korea.
angela

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend returns March 26th from Beijing. He said he would call me then. I do not have anymore information. My friend has worked internationally for 35 years, is a pretty calm-cool-and-collected type of person. My other friend and I who received the email message were a bit upset frankly, that he would send us a 2 line message with few details but someone told me today that China monitors emails. I didn't want to jeopardize his position either, so I posted my first message with a little hesitation. But if I hadn't said anything, and something happened, how would I feel? I certainly didn't mean to panic anyone. When you register, ask for the Evacuation plan. I had it emailed to me, and it is very thorough. Having that information eased my tension considerably and I feel prepared now. But I must reiterate, register at your embassy.
mj roach

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Register with your Embassy today Reply with quote

If it's true that most of us will be evacuated by the U.S. ....

Will those of us who have sewn our flags on our backpacks in order to avoid verbal and/or physical abuse be willing to risk being mistakenly identified by anti-American demonstrators?

Will those of us who have enjoyed the sport of America bashing be willing to accept American protection?
rapier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Brit embassy: hopeless Reply with quote

When the Khmer rouge occupied Phnom Penh, they allowed all foreign men with Cambodian wives to leave. Foreign women with Cambodian hubbies had to leave them behind. And brits needing assistance from the embassy were told to try at the American one. Wonderful.
mysteriousdeltarays

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't possibly think that there is going to be anyway out! Maybe walk and swim it down south. Wait a year for the Americans to arrive.
The mighty Canadian Navy will arrive with various battle groups and aircraft carriers to helicopter you out.! No Problem! Just just wave those maple leaf flag pins high! The North korerans accept them as dogma.
Alias

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents had asked be numerous times to register with the Canadian embassy. So I finally did online. Now I'm wondering if the tax man is going to be after me now that he knows I'm working here. Confused
angela

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the tax man cannot be provided information by the embassy. That is illegal. There is a privacy clause on the registration page.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: for kiwis Reply with quote

http://www.nzembassy.com/info.cfm?CFID=346284&CFTOKEN=74461394&c=8&l=39&s=nz&p=59633
Zen Forever

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Passport and evacuation Reply with quote

Are you all serious? Is anyone really thinking that evacuation is imminent? I'm on my way over to korea (from canada) and am feeling kinda nervous about war.....
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is anyone really thinking that evacuation is imminent?

No. Well, there is one guy on the board who thinks the apocalypse is imminent, and has thought so for years. Don't let him cause you to change your plans.

The rest of us are concerned about such things as evacuation procedures out of a mix of prudence, responsbility, and boredom.
Anda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Yes the Lemon is right, but the nut that I think he is talking about also thinks that it is going to be unsafe before long in the States and posts links like this.

http://educate-yourself.org/cn/2001/911attacksetspopreduction23sep01.shtml

Gee there really are crazy people in this world.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that nut is probably going crazy since teh off-topic forum isn't working.
Anda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Um that's what I heard too . They tell me that he is climbing the walls just like a fly would. His little world is on on stall. He is stuck with a back log of doom and gloom data that just might become outdated before he can post it. I just can't understand what makes people like him tick. They're sick I think compared to normal people like you and I!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: