Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korea's Influence on the West
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Korea's Influence on the West Reply with quote

It's an age old argument online when it comes to Korea:

A: "Korea has a 5000 year history"
B: "Yeah, but 5000 years of nothing. What has Korea ever given to the world?"

True, there's been very little Korea has done on the global stage, but two recent cultural phenomenons have me wondering: Did this come from Korea? I'm talking about the need to give the peace sign in photos, and selfies (cranky old man moment: God how I hate selfies). Western kids seem to love this crap.

Did it originate in Korea? From where I stand, it did. But that may be because I lived here from 2003-2008 when these things really took off. So I saw them first in Korea, and since being back home noticed they're here too. But was it already going on back home when I was in Korea?

Not saying the Korea actually first came up with the peace sign thingy (Churhcill, no?) but just talking about it's recent revival.

Ans yes, I realize this is all rather small and insignifcant. And no, I don't really care where it started. But I am having a very slow day at work and it's something I've always wondered about.
greatunknown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number of selfies is in direct correlation with the number of smartphones, tablets etc in all countries. But... i dont remember ever seeing young people snapping selfies while waiting in line at a coffee shop or while riding the elevator untill I arrived in Korea in 2011

Dont know about the peace sign thing.. is it not a "V" for victory? I thought I heard that somewhere..

Last edited by greatunknown on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
le-paul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

selfies have been around as long as cameras

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2509952/Black-white-selfies-dating-1800s-shed-light-history-self-portrait.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the "peace sign" was originally a "V" for victory. I believe the American hippies turned it into a peace sign.

As for that "original selfie", I don't think it's quite the same. I'm talking about that modern day, poubty face and/or deer in the headlights "Oooh, I'm so surprised I just took a photo of myself" that are running rampant on social media. That seems to have originated in Korea, no?

Funny story: i was at Lotte World a few weeks back watching my daughter on the carousel. The young lady next to her did a selfie video for the entire ride. And she had the peace fingers pressed up to her cheeks and poubty lip going the entire time. Amazing.
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haduri oh gawd, i remember those.

This tight skinny jean fad, kpop wave

It certainly hit France hard...

http://youtu.be/uPzA5zlIl3M

I personally cant stand skinny jeans on guys...but then again im old. I only threw out my baggy jeans for skinnier ones about 5 years ago.
Nester Noodlemon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie wrote:
Yes, the "peace sign" was originally a "V" for victory. I believe the American hippies turned it into a peace sign.

As for that "original selfie", I don't think it's quite the same. I'm talking about that modern day, poubty face and/or deer in the headlights "Oooh, I'm so surprised I just took a photo of myself" that are running rampant on social media. That seems to have originated in Korea, no?

Funny story: i was at Lotte World a few weeks back watching my daughter on the carousel. The young lady next to her did a selfie video for the entire ride. And she had the peace fingers pressed up to her cheeks and poubty lip going the entire time. Amazing.

Interesting that this comes up. I was coming out of the Seoul Jangno station the other day. About 3 strides unto the street and a couple of university girls stopped me for a survey. It was an A B C D E survey of how many selfies I take each day. I chose E for Other, that being zero of course. They said wow! I showed them that my phone had no pictures on it and told them I had never taken a picture with it. They were like, reeeaaaallllyyyyyyyyy
Jake_Kim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a lot of contemporary Korean cultural element and/or modern cultural behavior, especially those of 'fad'-kind amongst the younger generation, look to Japan 5~15 years ago.
Look to the U.S. with a little less time lag than that, if it's somewhat IT-related.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake_Kim wrote:
For a lot of contemporary Korean cultural element and/or modern cultural behavior, especially those of 'fad'-kind amongst the younger generation, look to Japan 5~15 years ago.
Look to the U.S. with a little less time lag than that, if it's somewhat IT-related.

I read your posts with interest because you're always on target, 100% of the time. You're one of my favorite posters.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original post says it all..and it's NOT bashing. Just the facts. Korea has a history of 5000 years...of what?
Name 10 things that koreans have given the world that is used daily.
Ok then...5 things.

While I have enjoyed my 20 plus years here...I get tired of koreans telling me how great their country is and what they have done.

If it's so great...why are so many leaving for other countries?

with a 5000 year old history...koreans should have come up with the automobile, IT, steel, glass, telephone, plumbing, ..the list is endless!

I am not bashing koreans...but the fact remains....koreans have given nothing to the world and have copied most of it.

The country has come a long ways in a short amount of time and have made great strides. And I hope both the SK and NK unite....then they will be a powerhouse in the world...a force to be reckon with!
And then have the bragging rights.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Name 10 things that koreans have given the world that is used daily.
Ok then...5 things.

That's true, but the Koreans also didn't take much or inflict much on the world, that's the flip side.

I mean, what does some Native American care about being given the railroad if you gave her family (edited) a disease and starvation filled forced removal march? If I was her, I'd say "Screw your railroad and telephone, I want my two year old daughter back you SOBs."

Last edited by Steelrails on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that bulgogi is pretty important for getting baseball players through their training.
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
I mean, what does some Native American care about being given the railroad if you gave her family smallpox blankets? If I was her, I'd say "Screw your railroad and telephone, I want my two year old daughter back you SOBs."

I'm a little surprised to hear you bring up small pox blankets given they're evidently largely ahistorical. A couple British officers during Pontiac's rebellion (actual war conditions) is the only actual example I could find, and it's not clear the blankets themselves were even instrumental in the smallpox outbreak.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
I mean, what does some Native American care about being given the railroad if you gave her family smallpox blankets? If I was her, I'd say "Screw your railroad and telephone, I want my two year old daughter back you SOBs."

I'm a little surprised to hear you bring up small pox blankets given they're evidently largely ahistorical.

I was not aware of that, thanks.

The larger point still stands. Whether its forced removal of indigenous peoples or someone gunning down a parent during a protest for basic rights, the actual experiences and "contributions" are felt different for different peoples.

The narrative that gets passed down through families and history could be vastly different from "Your grandfather invented this, which helps millions of people today" vs. "These people unleashed dogs on your grandmother because she had the same skin color as you".

Both are true. One shows what a culture offered, the other shows what it takes and you can get the balance of the account as a whole.

Korea did not add much, if anything, into the account, but it also charged little as well. Depending on history, you may or may not have benefited from that or at least, not been negatively impacted. I think there are millions of people in history who would rather have had Korea's non-contributions and non-afflictions than say, British inventions and British massacres.

As Chris Rock said, to black folks, America is that uncle that paid your way through college, but molested you.

Would you trade 4 years of free college for 10 minutes of being diddled? A lifetime of internet for a year's slavery and bondage? And that's wherein we struggle over the balance of the accounts.
Smithington

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea has contributed nothing to anything in 5000 years. They are the beneficiary of things created by others. Without those others Koreans would still be living in the bronze age. Them be the facts. Hard facts for Koreans to accept, but facts nonetheless. No contributions. This has been debated to death in countless other threads, and even the apologists couldn't mention one thing that Koreans have contributed to the world. All they could do was try to hijack the thread and take it away from the topic at hand.

Now back to Steelrails and his blather about smallpox blankets.Confused
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
Korea has contributed nothing to anything in 5000 years. They are the beneficiary of things created by others. Without those others Koreans would still be living in the bronze age. Them be the facts. Hard facts for Koreans to accept, but facts nonetheless. No contributions. This has been debated to death in countless other threads, and even the apologists couldn't mention one thing that Koreans have contributed to the world. All they could do was try to hijack the thread and take it away from the topic at hand.

Now back to Steelrails and his blather about smallpox blankets.Confused

Again, no one is denying that they haven't contributed much, if anything. But they also haven't inflicted much, if anything. You have to consider all sides of the ledger when totaling the account.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: