Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Trek or Star Wars?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Star Trek or Star Wars?
Star Trek
52%
 52%  [ 12 ]
Star Wars
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Firefly
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Dr. Who
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Stargate
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Battlestar Galactica
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Other
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 23

Steelrails

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Star Trek or Star Wars? Reply with quote

So, its a nice spring night, and I'm laid up a bit with the ol yellow dust lung and allergies and can't go out and get my party on. I decided to spend it watching 'Cosmos' with NdGT. This inevitably led me to the great question of the day- Star Trek vs. Star Wars.

I was at one time a hardcore Trekker, no thought at all towards Star Wars. Then I really got into Star Wars. I probably still would be, but the new movies just ruined it. Rediscovered my love for Star Trek. I consider TOS, TNG, and DS9 to be three of the finest shows ever on TV and arguably the most culturally significant shows in the history of TV in terms of what they represent. It is remarkable in terms of its philosophical and technological vision. However, Hollywood had to get ahold of it and the two most recent movies might as well be Jar-Jar Binks and the new Star Wars movies.

Clearly, I come out in favor of Star Trek, but as someone who was into Star Wars, I appreciate the other side. For a single movie, Star Wars: Episode IV has to be one of the greatest fun movies ever. Star Wars might be looked at differently if we got to see the movie crew for 75 episodes of TV. While none of the Star Trek movies capture the pure cinematic thrill of Star Wars Ep. IV, Warth of Khan comes close, and Star Trek IV deserves special recognition for an ingenious plot that succeeds without a villain and serves to promote the Trek view of the world.

Comments, segways, and tangents into "What's the best Trek" the expanded universe of Star Wars books and games, fandom, and more are invited. Also, 'Firefly' and 'Dr. Who' advocates are welcome and Stargate and BSG fans will be reluctantly tolerated.
Fox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always found Babylon 5 to be quite charming, but I notice it's not on your list.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Shatner did a show on how Star Trek changed the world. Pretty interesting.
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars is fun to watch, but it always feels more like LOTR-type fantasy than actual sci-fi.

The trek universe is just much more involved than that of Star Wars and it relates to issues that our world faces in such an intelligent way.

Also the DS9 episode where a Cardassian war criminal hands himself over to the Bajorans was just one example of how the drama could be so powerful that you forget they all have silly bumps on their faces.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose Firefly, but Star Trek obviously had more impact.

BSG's first two '00 decade seasons were fantastic, but the writers were writing it as they went along, and the ending was such a disappointment.
Stain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Dwarf beats them both.
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge Star Trek: TOS & TNG fan. TNG is a better series overall, but TOS will always be my favourite. I go through and watch the whole series every couple years or so.

I've never liked Star Wars.
metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails or a slow painful death? May death prevail!

Anyway, it's pointless comparing the two as they're completely different, anyone with a triple-digit IQ would realize this but alas! The OP is severely flawed when it comes to the white matter floating around in his cranium.
r2b2ct

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Star Wars more. The originals are simply outstanding modern epics. Still, TNG is probably my favorite TV series ever.

Firefly was superb and I wish they kept going. I am currently watching Battlestar Galactica for the first time so I can't really compare.
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get your fill at r/StarTrekOnYouTube on Reddit.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalhead wrote:
Steelrails or a slow painful death? May death prevail!

Anyway, it's pointless comparing the two as they're completely different, anyone with a triple-digit IQ would realize this but alas! The OP is severely flawed when it comes to the white matter floating around in his cranium.

It's an age old question, relax man.
byrddogs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends. I don't care enough about either to put so much thought into why one is better than the other, so I'll just leave it at that.
matthagwon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunch of trekkies here
thrylos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthagwon wrote:
Bunch of trekkies here

I think whoever hung on to the idea that SW was better lost all validity after the last releases (prequels, whatever). They ruined the flow/quality of the original 3. ST new installments never ruined the flow between old and new shows/movies, as they had new characters/storylines/freedom to create something 'new' to add to the universe. SW didn't really add 'new' things to the storyline, just clarified/showed history.
Squire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the SW prequels, but then I'm 26 so I think I was only 18 when episode 3 came out. I think I was about 9 or 10 was episode 1 came out and I already loved the originals but I wasn't old enough to be cynical about the prequels. Looking back I think the SW series at time suffered from trying to appeal to too wide an age range, and it was inevitable that ewoks and gungans weren't going to go over too well with adults

Maybe the biggest problem was Lucas didn't step back and let others write dialogue and do more directing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: