Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Race a Possible Factor in Attack on Driver in Detroit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No_hite_pls wrote:
Jongno2bucheon wrote:
No_hite_pls wrote:
Jongno2bucheon wrote:
http://racerelations.about.com/od/historyofracerelations/a/Remembering-Vincent-Chin.htm

Vincent Chin was killed for being Asian American

Dude, that was 32 years ago.... and the protests for the injustice in that case, changed America.

Shit, there was white foreign teacher killed in Suncheon just for teaching at a public school just 16 years ago, and no one even knows about it......Where is your outrage for that?

http://populargusts.blogspot.kr/2011/02/newspaper-accounts-of-1998-murder-of.html

Quote:
a search on KINDS turned up nothing about his death in Korean-language newspapers; nor were there news reports about it in the Korea Times or Korea Herald.

So a mentally insane person killed the guy? Thats sad.

However in Vincent Chens case he was killed because two sane white males were angry at Japanese auto workers for making good cars. The guy wasnt even Japanese American.

Anyways... Clearly there are a lot of hate crimes carried out by sane people against Asian Americans. It is an issue about motive that needs to be discussed.

"the attacker said that he murdered Scott because he didn't want Americans here teaching Korean children. It was also noted that he said foreigners should not be allowed to hold jobs here while many Koreans are unemployed."

Sounds like a hate crime to me, and how about that VT shooter??????

Where is the evidence? It sounds like its just one person telling a story.
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No_hite_pls wrote:
Quote:
two sane white males

They don't seem sane to me.....

They received no jail time for murdering a man for being Asian.

You think the US would let a sane man walk free for killing an America who has yellow skin?
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jongno2bucheon wrote:
No_hite_pls wrote:
Quote:
two sane white males

You think the US would let a sane man walk free for killing an America who has yellow skin?

I don't think that 99.9% of court houses in the US would let an insane or sane man walk free for killing an Asian American. That is why this case is so famous and the reason you are bringing it up after 32 years.

BTW the Chin family successfully sued for $4,683,653.89 in damages from the murderer for Chin's death.

THERE wasn't even a mention in the Korean press about the murderer that killed a foreign teacher just for being foreign and doing his job. That's real entrenched racism.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think that 99.9% of court houses in the US would let an insane or sane man walk free for killing an Asian American. That is why this case is so famous and the reason you are bringing it up after 32 years.

BTW the Chin family successfully sued for $4,683,653.89 in damages from the murderer for Chin's death.

THERE wasn't even a mention in the Korean press about the murderer that killed a foreign teacher just for being foreign and doing his job. That's real entrenched racism.

Both cases are pre-social media and over a decade ago and thus have little relevance to things. We can talk about entrenched racism in the media and how a pet locked in a car for 5 minutes gets more press coverage than a black family of 3 gunned down in a driveby or how the Korean media is out to get us (It's the Korea Times, run!).

Anyways, back on topic, Detroiters held a vigil attended by community leaders with the message that the people of Detroit are united against this kind of violence. Despite the best efforts of the media and reverse-racism race mongers to inflame passions, people there just want things to get better.
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No_hite_pls wrote:
Jongno2bucheon wrote:
No_hite_pls wrote:
Quote:
two sane white males

The only real evidence is some guy died. We dont know how or why. It could easily have been a prank or an argument with a crazy guy. The guy is at least probably in jail if it really did happen.
metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jongno2bucheon wrote:
The guy is at least probably in jail if it really did happen.

Can you try not posting in English? You have the writing style and mental capacity of a retarded child.
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalhead wrote:
Jongno2bucheon wrote:

Can you try not posting in English? You have the writing style and mental capacity of a retarded child.

do mental people get angry over writing style?

Laughing
wanderkind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Ugh, people need to stop treating 'Gusts' as some sort of legitimate news site. I have no problem with them mentioning this story and taking the Korean media to task for not giving it more print, but there was one line in there that really irked me and seems symptomatic of their editorial style,

Quote:
Although Scott's murderer has a history of being mentally unbalanced, I believe that labeling him a "freak," "psycho" or "lunatic" would be an attempt to comfort and protect ourselves from the horrific crime.

Just to clarify, are you saying the inclusion of that quote is what was symptomatic of 'Gusts'' editorial style? Because that wasn't actually something 'Gusts' wrote, that was part of the editorial printed in the newspaper at the time of the event. The whole post was basically the quoted editorial and an obit.

radcon wrote:
Jongno2bucheon wrote:

This whole notion of hate crimes is stupid and should be eradicated. Authorities can not read the minds of perpetrators. Did these guys in Detroit attack the motorist because he was white or because he hit somebody with his truck? No way to know what was going through each of their heads at the exact moment of the attack.

But it is possible to get a sense of their attitudes, opinions and motivations by investigating an offenders history. They may incriminate themselves by having referenced their intentions in conversation or online. And then there's cases where the offender flat out states their actions were racially motivated. "'Cause he was ____(race)_____!" is, you know, pretty cut and dry.

People definitely jump to race too often, but that doesn't mean a hate crime designation is NEVER justified.
wanderkind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jongno2bucheon wrote:

People, especially Asians, referring to Asians as having yellow skin grinds my gears SO HARD.

In Korea, the average city dweller has white skin. Whiter than me (a 'white' person). Rural / farm / Jeju-do folks may have brown skin. Drunk Koreans may have rosy / red skin. None of them have yellow skin.
If you have yellow skin you're a cartoon character or you're dying of liver disease FFS.

One of my co-teachers once said to a group of students, 'Bananas have yellow skin, like us!' and I nearly fell over.
Just STOP IT.

I'm not sure what basis my co-teacher had for it, but whenever I hear it referenced in the context of racial issues, it seems like the speaker is trying to force Asians' qualification for 'people of colour'. As far as I'm concerned, 'people of colour' is an umbrella term for visible ethnic minorities who consider themselves marginalized by the white establishment, and 'membership' does not require actual non-white skin colour. I know many white complexioned Latinos who identify as people of colour. People generally take their word for it.

Jongno2bucheon wrote:
The only real evidence is some guy died. We dont know how or why. It could easily have been a prank or an argument with a crazy guy. The guy is at least probably in jail if it really did happen.
Jongno2bucheon wrote:
Quote:
"the attacker said that he murdered Scott because he didn't want Americans here teaching Korean children. It was also noted that he said foreigners should not be allowed to hold jobs here while many Koreans are unemployed."

Where is the evidence? It sounds like its just one person telling a story.

You can say that about ANYTHING!

A) That's generally what witnesses do, and they're routinely involved in the judicial process. We swear them in and then believe them unless someone can prove they're full of shit.

B)If you're unwilling to accept anything without seeing the evidence personally, how are you able to believe any information regarding the circumstances of Vincent Chin's murder?
(I assume you weren't personally involved in that criminal investigation.)
Are you able to believe the Holocaust really occurred? Or to couch it less dramatically, and perhaps in a more germane fashion, do you accept that Sejong was responsible for inventing Hangeul? I'm pretty sure it wasn't on CCTV.

I realize these are outlandish comparisons, but I'm trying to highlight how flagrant a double standard you seem to be applying.

You accept the circumstances of Vincent Chin's murder, but then turn around and are outright dismissive of those of Scott Lastname in an analogous situation.

(The breadth of reporting on the incidents is significantly different, but I think a lot of that can be chalked up to the languages and outlets reporting, and the climate on racial issues in the respective countries at the time. But again, what reason would you have to DOUBT the editorial about the English teacher's murder?)
Ralph Winfield

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalhead wrote:
Jongno2bucheon wrote:

javascript:emoticon('Twisted Evil')
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because he won a race against a jealous rival?

http:/instantrimshot.com/
Kepler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The principal way blacks suffer at the hands of white people in America are affronts to their dignity. The principal way whites suffer at the hands of black people are stabbings, shootings and rapes."
- Ann Coulter
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kepler wrote:
"The principal way blacks suffer at the hands of white people in America are affronts to their dignity. The principal way whites suffer at the hands of black people are stabbings, shootings and rapes."
- Ann Coulter

The principal way blacks suffered at the hands of white people basically up until about 1970 was through slavery and entrenched legal racism including laws against them becoming educated, testifying in court, holding property, voting, marriage, and using facilities.

You do realize that there are millions of black people alive TODAY who suffered that, right?

You also realize for that time, the principal way whites suffered at the hands of black people was almost in no way in particular, right?

I always am astounded at the "But its been so long..." argument. First off, no it hasn't. When you have millions of people still alive who experienced Jim Crow, saying that that is "long in the past" is ludicrous. Historically, that's the blink of an eye. Second, given how long there was an entrenched system against black people, the recovery will take generations. You had the virtual annihilation of their old culture and the creation of a new people with no nation, land, heritage, tradition, and structure to call their own. We've had basically two "new" peoples on this Earth over the past couple centuries- Black slaves and Latinos. Every other culture on this planet can trace things back thousands of years. Latinos at least go their own country, nation and land to start building. Blacks didn't even get that. And you are wondering why there are severe social problems?
Fox

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Latinos at least go their own country, nation and land to start building. Blacks didn't even get that.

Haiti?
Titus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
Latinos at least go their own country, nation and land to start building. Blacks didn't even get that.

Haiti?

Liberia?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: