Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uni Positions - Don't get the MA dip till June 27th...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
withnail

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Uni Positions - Don't get the MA dip till June 27th... Reply with quote

Just wondering...

I'm interested in some of the good Uni positions in Seoul...namely Ewha, SNU, Hongik, Sookmyung & Sogang - aiming high...

Here's the spec:

14 years EFL experience in 5 countries
But Just 2 years in Korean Universities (5 years in Korea)
BA Degree in English Lit
Grad Dip in TEFL (Equivalent to Cambridge DELTA)
1 year as a Hagwon Course Director
But ...

I won't get my MA Diploma till June 27th (Graduation ceremony in UK)

How do you think Universities will view that...

I rang SNU and they seem cool but..

Hongik specificallly states that people should have the MA by their closing date in May (Shame...sweet deal!)

Don't think I can get Ewha - their application form asks you to list all your academic publications...which is a little strange for a mere English instructor...but I applied anyway...

I was a few days late for the Sogang deadline and they will want a video teaching demo to be sent if they don't trash my application...

Trying to assess my chances but I'm wondering what you guys think about the whole MA in hand thing?

Has anybody been on hiring committees so would know how the just-about-to-get-MA people are viewed?

Ta

Withnail
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Publications and teaching vid demos?!?!? wtf

For a ESL teacher?!?! Are they crazy? lol
withnail

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the video teaching demo doesn't seem so bad but certainly Ewha's ad was very strange - it was for an English Instructor but asking for a list of peer-reviewed academic publications sure seems to have ruled me out!

Perhaps they are hoping for someone to teach a lot of grad programs for which academic credibilty is all important...
Bibbitybop

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolinaTHeels wrote:
Publications and teaching vid demos?!?!? wtf

For a ESL teacher?!?! Are they crazy? lol

At some unis, you aren't teaching ESL. You are teaching people how to professionally use the English they know. This includes, paragraph and essay structure, voice and body language tactics, and persuasive theory. The best positions in Korea won't go to people without publications and good demos.
Bibbitybop

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

withnail, each uni has their own requirements. Some will accept you with proof of a later MA. Some won't. Ask the specific uni.
withnail

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you are right. Just shootin' the breeze and was hoping to hear from people who might be on hiring committees and have made these calls...thanks for the sensible advice.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known a load of Ewha English teachers over the years. As far as I know, none of them publishes, nor had they prior to taking the job.

For most of the bigger universities, it's important to have the MA in hand prior to applying. Still, with your bucket of experience, that might be waved. At SNU? Doubtful, as they have strict admin proceedures and they can't be skirted.

Good luck to you.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I apply for university jobs? I will have my M.A. in less than 2 weeks.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Uni Positions - Don't get the MA dip till June 27th... Reply with quote

withnail wrote:
Just wondering...

I'm interested in some of the good Uni positions in Seoul...namely Ewha, SNU, Hongik, Sookmyung & Sogang - aiming high...

What are you expecting for pay/benefits/hours from these "good" schools?
nate1983

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Uni Positions - Don't get the MA dip till June 27th... Reply with quote

I worked at SNU - you probably shouldn't have much trouble w/ them, they're pretty understanding from my experience...basically, if they want you, not having the diploma in hand yet won't be an issue. Not sure how other unis work though. I know some of these "unigwons" take a bad rap on here, but I never had any complaints...good pay, good hours, great co-workers. Good luck with it.
Bibbitybop

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adventurer wrote:
How do I apply for university jobs? I will have my M.A. in less than 2 weeks.

Follow the instructions on their job announcements.
mellee

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all... I'm brand new here, with an MA in Mass Comm.
I've been watching the job ads for Uni positions and am curious if there are any specific Uni job boards you can refer me to?

Thanks.
PRagic

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye on Dave's job board.

Also, check out Chronicle.com (Chronicle of Higher Education). There is a job search on the right hand side of the home page. Enter 'KOREA'. There are currently ESL university jobs posted there (Sejong, I think). Often jobs come up in the EU or N. America, too.

One guy I know worked for years at university here and then took a position at the University of Maryland in D.C. with their TESOL program (teaching and admin stuff). He had a good MA, plus all the buzzes and whistle certs (CELTA, DELTA, etc...).

The jobs are out there. Another thing you can do is to check out individual university web sites. A quick Google search will give you all of the universities in Korea.
mellee

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I hadn't thought of Chronicle for ESL jobs.

One more Q... as far as timing, is this early in the season to apply for fall like it seems to be for other ESL jobs, or late in the season like for other Uni jobs.

Cheers.
m
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the ads say. Somebody else can probably give you more specific info. I'm not in ESL. Took almost a year to set up my position, so the timing is probably different. Good luck with it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: