Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SKYPE teaching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teachingld2004

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: SKYPE teaching Reply with quote

Yes, I have used the "search" on this site, but it does not work. Or at least I can not get it to work.

I am back in the USA now, and am teaching Korean students via SKYPE. I have students who have 5% English ability, and some who have better then average. (I have 11 students).

I do not like teaching the 5%, because it is almost impossible. Example, I have an adult woman who only wants free conversation, and refuses to write anything down, so she asks the same things over and over. She does not understand me more then 5 percent. I have told the woman who I work for that I do not want t his person, but she says "She wants you. Just do it". I said 1:1 can work when you are next to the person, but not on SKYPE. but she insists. OK, money is money, but 1/2 hr twice a week is killing me. She
is next, and I have no idea what to do. She does not want to do things like colors or numbers, or "this is a....., that is a......" I ask the same question, "How is the weather", and she will say, "shine". I have emailed her very simple sentences, and she w will not even look at them. I said she had to practice.

I have an 11 year old for a month and the mother wants to know why his English is not improving, and I have said in one month 2 times a week for 1/2 hr each time is not enough. And perhaps if he did not play video games at the same time perhaps he may improbe. Also the mother only wants free
conversation.

I have an English teacher who can barely make a sentence, and she can not even say "L, R, and Z". I t is not easy to teach her, because she will not listen. She says she never teaches in English, but her students want conversation, and she thinks it is not very important! She wants to read sentences to me and have me correct them. I feel like I want to pull the hairs out of my head.

I have 2 adults who are great.

SKYPE teaching is not for everyone. I have no idea what people expect.

So, this rant and rave has not made me feel any better, but does anyone have any ideas what to do? I want to srip the students who are 5% because it is not fair to either of us.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!!!
Squire

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would worry with Skype teaching about getting that fuzzy video thing that happens when I chat to my parents. The video quality always drops after a minute or two so it would ruin a lesson. If I was ever to teach via video I'd want a board behind me with the camera set up the way they have it in those educational TV shows on telly here. It couldn't work with low quality video
soomin

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, in these situations I think the best idea is to just think of the money you're making. You're pretty much in the same situation I am in (except mine is in person, in a hagwon). Most of my students can't speak any English and I am expected to use Korean. I'm not allowed to give homework (because "that causes too much stress! You must be a fun teacher!") and the 1:1 classes I have are 2 that are good at English and 1 that is an hour, twice a week, who isn't supposed to do any writing ("Teacher, I can't spell!") or have any homework, is usually late or doesn't show up at all ("Teacher, I was sleeping" "Teacher, I was playing with my friends"), and who wants to do free-talking which usually consists of him ignoring me while he uses his phone. My boss just said "his mom wants free-talking only" and "just make it through a few months"... so, that's what I'm doing. Does it make me want to go crazy? Yes... but it's my job. Some people won't except that they/their kids won't learn without putting in the effort. They won't learn, but they'll still pay you until they get tired of not learning and move on to another free-speaking teacher and hope for better results.

Just hang in there!! You can't help people who aren't willing to put the work in, and you aren't a miracle worker. Just try not to get too stressed about it, and keep doing what you can.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: SKYPE teaching Reply with quote

teachingld2004 wrote:
Yes, I have used the "search" on this site, but it does not work. Or at least I can not get it to work.

I am back in the USA now, and am teaching Korean students via SKYPE. I have students who have 5% English ability, and some who have better then average. (I have 11 students).

I do not like teaching the 5%, because it is almost impossible. Example, I have an adult woman who only wants free conversation, and refuses to write anything down, so she asks the same things over and over. She does not understand me more then 5 percent. I have told the woman who I work for that I do not want t his person, but she says "She wants you. Just do it". I said 1:1 can work when you are next to the person, but not on SKYPE. but she insists. OK, money is money, but 1/2 hr twice a week is killing me. She
is next, and I have no idea what to do. She does not want to do things like colors or numbers, or "this is a....., that is a......" I ask the same question, "How is the weather", and she will say, "shine". I have emailed her very simple sentences, and she w will not even look at them. I said she had to practice.

I have an 11 year old for a month and the mother wants to know why his English is not improving, and I have said in one month 2 times a week for 1/2 hr each time is not enough. And perhaps if he did not play video games at the same time perhaps he may improbe. Also the mother only wants free
conversation.

I have an English teacher who can barely make a sentence, and she can not even say "L, R, and Z". I t is not easy to teach her, because she will not listen. She says she never teaches in English, but her students want conversation, and she thinks it is not very important! She wants to read sentences to me and have me correct them. I feel like I want to pull the hairs out of my head.

I have 2 adults who are great.

SKYPE teaching is not for everyone. I have no idea what people expect.

So, this rant and rave has not made me feel any better, but does anyone have any ideas what to do? I want to srip the students who are 5% because it is not fair to either of us.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!!!

One solution would be to set up a "semester plan" on your website (I assume you have some form of online presence for your students). That plan should outline what you can offer in terms of structured lessons for students and discuss the various levels you are willing to teach.

Students who work with you on Skype would then have some sort of idea what they have to do and be following some sort of structure.

Online teaching is a completely different beast than in-class teaching. It requires a completely different approach and a different type of lesson planning due to the medium being used and the learning environment.

For example, setting up something that enhances learning could be as simple as not broadcasting your lesson from your basement or kitchen but rather from an office with a background that looks a bit more professional (not discussing what you do here, just a general consideration).

My department offers e-learning and distance learning options for employees and I work with the team that develops the courses. The planning for succcessful online lessons is extensive and can be a rpetty sharp learning curve for many teachers.

You could also look online as there are tons of open source resources for online educators.

Concerning your case: if you set up your service offer clearly, you can then choose the students you will accept. If however you are just doing it for the money, then you will have to take what you can get and deal with the frustrations of that 5%....
jenilyn8705

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, after working with students from so many different levels here in person I can't imagine dealing with those few that you mentioned with a low-English level via Skype. It's difficult enough in person let alone deal with them when there is potential low sound and video quality (but, perhaps that is not even your case with them because, from my experience, it really depends on who and from where I am chatting with someone). If I were in your shoes, I'd honestly just let them go and recommend them someone else to work with in person if I see that these are people that need more direction and aren't as self-motivated to write things down and such. A person needs a lot of self-motivation to do anything via online. If I just feel like they can't then I'd probably just let them go and recommend someone else that they can be with one-on-one. I'd just feel bad taking their money if that's what I see happening.
Voyeur

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick question: what are the companies that hire Skype teachers for Koreans? Or do you get your own students? If so, how?
2i2dk1ny2i3

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good question...i would be interested as well
Conversationalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Teaching over skype Reply with quote

Hi all,

I saw the topic skype teaching brought up. I know that there are a few Korean companies that have set up online teaching over skype and there are plenty of Korean owned call centers in the Philippines that employ native Filipinos with American accents for cheap. (400 USD a month I hear).

I'm actually trying to set up an online conversation biz in Japan and am looking to recruit Language teachers in Korea. The client base would be from Japan or Korea. Check out the site and leave a message if interested:

http://www.onlineconversationalist.com/

You can also visit my facebook page:

Online Conversationalists
JoelMonkarsh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Skype Teaching Reply with quote

I am currently working Korea, marketing my ESL textbooks and doing a bit of consulting work. With a F5 visa, I am not really subject to hagwon hell, but I'm an age where I'm not likely to be regularly hired.

What legitimate companies actually use online and Skype teaching?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: