Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ferry Sinking
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
It took 2 hours for this ship to go under....and yet only a third of the passengers made it off the ship. Inexcusable. There is going to be hell to pay....like they might even make them bow TWICE AND pay a 10 million won fine.

A horrible, horrible event.....I don't even want to think about what those kids who were trapped in the boat had to go through.

As I said, at first people were told to wait, which often times is the thing to do- Having everyone panic, run around, and then hop into frigid waters might not always be the best course of action.

Unfortunately the ship capsized more quickly than anticipated (there were reports of the cars shifting, which might have dramatically worsened the list), and it is likely that after a certain point, people were trapped as the angle of the list prevented effective movement. Also, in a panic situation with narrow corridors, you have have had exits blocked.

Saying its inexcusable is premature, given the information available, and likely inaccurate. If a bunch of people had gone into the water and had suffered hypothermia and drowned, that would have been just as bad.

What is inexcusable is the captain leaving BEFORE everyone had been accounted for.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Hokie21 wrote:
It took 2 hours for this ship to go under....and yet only a third of the passengers made it off the ship. Inexcusable. There is going to be hell to pay....like they might even make them bow TWICE AND pay a 10 million won fine.

A horrible, horrible event.....I don't even want to think about what those kids who were trapped in the boat had to go through.

As I said, at first people were told to wait, which often times is the thing to do- Having everyone panic, run around, and then hop into frigid waters might not always be the best course of action.

Unfortunately the ship capsized more quickly than anticipated (there were reports of the cars shifting, which might have dramatically worsened the list), and it is likely that after a certain point, people were trapped as the angle of the list prevented effective movement. Also, in a panic situation with narrow corridors, you have have had exits blocked.

Saying its inexcusable is premature, given the information available, and likely inaccurate. If a bunch of people had gone into the water and had suffered hypothermia and drowned, that would have been just as bad.

What is inexcusable is the captain leaving BEFORE everyone had been accounted for.

Fair enough. I agree the captain leaving before the passengers is inexcuasable. He is done for.
AfroBurrito

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of how one might feel about Korea or Koreans in general, we can all agree that this incident needn't invite jibes or tasteless comments. There are a lot of children still missing. Children. At one time or another each of us has had a positive experience with a child in our classrooms. Imagine the anguish that child's parents must be feeling.

Pardon me if I appear righteously indignant, I am not. I simply wish to believe we can be more mature and reflective.

So long as there is a possibility of survivors being on that ship, then the Korean government should invest its energies into getting any and all of them back to their families. And if we reach the point where this becomes a Search and Recovery mission, then it will be incumbent upon the Korean government to conduct a thorough, objective, and ethical investigation into this incident. I hope they'll do just that, but only time will tell.
NohopeSeriously

Location: The Christian Right-Wing Educational Republic of Korea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AfroBurrito wrote:
And if we reach the point where this becomes a Search and Recovery mission, then it will be incumbent upon the Korean government to conduct a thorough, objective, and ethical investigation into this incident.

Most likely not. Maybe possible in a different world.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Hokie21 wrote:

The news I heard today was... they told the passengers to wait in their rooms. But took the time to call down to the engine room and evacuate their staff.

So while the initial sentiment of not causing shifting panic may have been correct, at a certain point it becomes BS - the staff are responsible for getting passengers off that ship.

That captain needs to be... <mod edit>
Vianca

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

=============

Last edited by Vianca on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
wanderkind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vianca wrote:
http://blog.naver.com/lgyaho/110189173297

the face of the captain

Lee Jun Seok age 69, living in Busan
Escaped first after telling students that they should wait indoors

...he's gonna be lynched.
Lucas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The news I heard today was... they told the passengers to wait in their rooms. But took the time to call down to the engine room and evacuate their staff.

So while the initial sentiment of not causing shifting panic may have been correct, at a certain point it becomes BS - the staff are responsible for getting passengers off that ship.

That captain needs to be... <mod edit>

I blame Korean culture.

Bali Bali Bali - the boat was 2hrs late leaving port, due to bad weather.

Given the option of being late by 2 hours, or taking a 'short cut' I think most passengers would have chosen the short cut.

He wasn't the normal captain, will have prob being going flat out 'full steam ahead', realised he made a mistake, turned hard - cars moved (hand breaks on?) boat shifted to one side...... Or it just hit rocks. The boat was old.

The kids will have been all over the boat, no meeting point arranged for an emergency. At least one teacher will have opened their first bottle of soju.

The same boat company had an accident a year or so ago, in a similar area I think.

There is still hope of finding people alive.
guavashake

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vianca wrote:

the face of the captain

In this photo and in videos you can see that the deck mounted lifeboats are not deployed.

Abandoning the ship and passengers. Not deploying life rafts.

This is a perfect storm of actions that are not simply errors.

It is a series of deadly criminal actions.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

This.

According to most of the survivors at the moment, this captain sure seems like a real winner, or should it be weiner?

Although, to be fair.. I'm pretty sure that's what most of the posers are talking about
augustine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one should disagree, if this ajossi captain actually straight up pulled a George Costanza and split first like that, after telling everyone else to do the opposite, and after going off course to make up time, he should rot in a very small box. It capsized fast, but I want to know how many of the 14 teachers and other adults survived and what they did to help. I await the details if they ever truly come out. Gone wreck diving twice down here so I've been reading a ton about this shit lately, and this one reeks. There's no reason for the number to be even nearly that high, unless there was some inescapable barrier. Or unless adults stupidly told them to wait in their rooms and left them there until it was too late. This is a major tragedy barring something spectacular. If 250+ people drowned in a boat that size with help arriving as quickly as it did, you have to assume there was some form of grave incompetence, because that just doesn't happen, and it should never happen.
guavashake

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gjon.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=11496

The photos show some of the many rocks and islands in the area.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vianca wrote:

the face of the captain

Korean read the blog for me and cofirmed that's what it says. Hope the effer either rots in jail or if the judge gives him a slap on the wrist because he was drunk or something a parent stabs him in the heart. (For legal reasons I never actually tell or mean for anyone to take the law into their own hands. I speak figuratively.)
wanderkind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/17/us-korea-ship-idUSBREA3F01Y20140417

Quote:
As frustration grew, some parents of missing school children hired their own boat on Wednesday night. They appeared to blame the government of President Park Geun-hye and rescue officials for not making a big enough effort.

"Since the government refused to take us to the scene, 11 parents chipped in 61,000 won ($58.79) each to hire a boat and took a reporter and a diver. But there was no rescue operation going on," said one father who declined to give his name.

I'm not trying to make 'Korea' jab here, but it just seems like there's an awful lot of manpower on site, and remarkably little getting done.

After the initial hauling people off the hull yesterday, there seems to be a lot of boats driving around the hull, presumably looking for bodies. But I've yet to see a picture of someone with a tank or mask going into or getting out of the water. Of the pictures I've seen of guys in wetsuits without lifejackets, I haven't been able to spot any diving gear.

Yesterday they said there were 20 divers there, today 160...where are they? I find it hard to believe the cameras are missing them. Is everyone just waiting for the cranes?
Lucas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not trying to make 'Korea' jab here, but it just seems like there's an awful lot of manpower on site, and remarkably little getting done.

After the initial hauling people off the hull yesterday, there seems to be a lot of boats driving around the hull, presumably looking for bodies. But I've yet to see a picture of someone with a tank or mask going into or getting out of the water. Of the pictures I've seen of guys in wetsuits without lifejackets, I haven't been able to spot any diving gear.

Yesterday they said there were 20 divers there, today 160...where are they? I find it hard to believe the cameras are missing them. Is everyone just waiting for the cranes?

The Ocean is not a swimming pool! The currents are strong, low viz, boats everywhere......

I'd say 160 divers are too many to be in one place doing a job in a methodical, SAFE job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 2 of 33

Jump to: