Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ferry Sinking
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=]I blame Korean culture. [/quote]

Can we please not do this quite yet. As I always point out- When a disaster, possibly involving negligence or a heinous crime, happens back home we don't blame our own culture. We blame the individual or people involved.

Quote:
The kids will have been all over the boat, no meeting point arranged for an emergency. At least one teacher will have opened their first bottle of soju.

Yes, I'm sure when you get on the ferry your first thought would be to get all your friends to arrange meeting points and go over evacuation procedures, and surely none of you would drink. Rolling Eyes

Still, the captain is a crapper.
cabeza

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the numbers, of the 179 people who were rescued, 104 of them were adults. Of the 287 missing, 245 are kids. For whatever reason a disproportionate number of adults managed to escape. Maybe the kids were on the lower decks.
optik404

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of the passengers were students.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My heart goes out to the victims and the families. This was a tragic accident. If the captain didn't go down with the ship, the parents should rent another boat, take him back out and sink him properly.
cabeza

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
I think most of the passengers were students.

Yes 325 out of 475 were students. Which is why I'm saying of the remaing 150 adult paaengers 104 (70%) of those adults survived.
rainman3277

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

5)If the captain really did abandon ship without giving the order to abandon ship, he should be brought before a court. Negligence shouldn't warrant a hanging, and I do believe in mercy and forgiveness, but...

Law or not, if I am captaining a boat, I leave last. In your opinion, "abandon ship! (every person for themselves)" is just fine. Unbelievable that you are trying to rationalize the captains actions. Hundreds are misssing. Do you have no sense of honor or duty or self sacrifice?
dairyairy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainman3277 wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

5)If the captain really did abandon ship without giving the order to abandon ship, he should be brought before a court. Negligence shouldn't warrant a hanging, and I do believe in mercy and forgiveness, but...

Law or not, if I am captaining a boat, I leave last. In your opinion, "abandon ship! (every person for themselves)" is just fine. Unbelievable that you are trying to rationalize the captains actions. Hundreds are misssing. Do you have no sense of honor or duty or self sacrifice?

Yes, even if just to manage the evacuation.
Old Painless

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dairyairy wrote:
rainman3277 wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

Yes, even if just to manage the evacuation.

At least he apologized. While hiding his face. Rolling Eyes

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/17/world/asia/south-korea-ship-sinking/index.html?hpt=ias_c1
metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

Can we please not do this quite yet. As I always point out- When a disaster, possibly involving negligence or a heinous crime, happens back home we don't blame our own culture. We blame the individual or people involved.

Yes, because as any Korean will tell you Western culture is based on the individual, whereas Korean culture is based on the collective, so this is a case of Korean culture at its finest - old Korean men come first, before anyone else. Apparently the only crew member helping kids escape was a female, you know, while the mighty Korean male was jumping ship to save his own ass. Disgusting.
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2014/04/116_155604.html

It looks like out of the 30 crew members, 29 safely made it to shore. Many of them, including the captain, were the first to abandon ship. We shouldn't forget this young lady who stayed to help the passengers, giving her own life in the process. The fact that she was a 22 year old woman responsible only for on board announcements only highlights the cowardice of the others, though. She is a hero, and deserves everyone's regard. Small solace for her family, I'm sure.
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalhead wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

Yes, because as any Korean will tell you Western culture is based on the individual, whereas Korean culture is based on the collective, so this is a case of Korean culture at its finest - old Korean men come first, before anyone else. Apparently the only crew member helping kids escape was a female, you know, while the mighty Korean male was jumping ship to save his own ass. Disgusting.

Sure thing Tim McVeigh. Keep it up. Lets see where it goes.
northway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalhead wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

My FOB Korean friends in the States actually expressed the same opinion (preempting Steelrails calling you a racist).

Last edited by northway on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:

It looks like out of the 30 crew members, 29 safely made it to shore. Many of them, including the captain, were the first to abandon ship. We shouldn't forget this young lady who stayed to help the passengers, giving her own life in the process. The fact that she was a 22 year old woman responsible only for on board announcements only highlights the cowardice of the others, though. She is a hero, and deserves everyone's regard. Small solace for her family, I'm sure.

I hope the captain is executed...
le-paul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:

well said
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a brave woman. Here are some others as well who are also heroes.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/asia/east-asia/story/south-korea-ferry-disaster-some-heroes-who-risked-their-lives-save-others-

Mr Jeong Cha Woong, a 17-year-old student, is also being hailed as a hero. He died after helping his friends escape from the ship. Mr Jeong is known to have died after giving his own life vest to his drowning friend and hurled himself into the waters to rescue others.

Mr Kim Hong Gyeong, a 59-year-old survivor, also risked his life to save other people.

Mr Kim made a 10m-long rope with curtains of the ship and used it to drag up several passengers. Although the water was above his knees, he continued his rescue efforts and saved the lives of some 20 people. He, then, boarded a fishing boat that volunteered in the rescue operations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 3 of 33

Jump to: