Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accomodation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jessiemj93

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Accomodation Reply with quote

So then.....
I know lots of people live in different types of acomodation.

Some of you may have shared, some of you may have single studio and others have brought their family to live with them.
I'm wondering what type YOU might have? purely to see what is most common, and do you enjoy your current situation? or do you wish it was different?

Do you enjoy the freedom to have the flat as you like, cook what you want and strut your stuff in the Nuddy or... do you like to be able to come home to people sat on the sofa, someone to say hello to you and perhaps have a routine in the household?
le-paul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I had to share was a long while ago.

I was placed with a whiny little lad from Washington DC, who constantly complained and actually took up the flooring at one point so he could clean under it Shocked (amongst other things).

He annoyed by nagging so much that one morning when I had a hangover (and he was whining), I threw him through the doors, taking them off the frame.
He still wouldnt shut up.
I then picked him up and threw him into his own wardrobe
So I closed the wardrobe door and told him if he opened it again or spoke, I would kill him.
He then shut up.

Ive lived alone since then and prefer it that way.

Last edited by le-paul on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Jessiemj93

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
Last time I had to share was a long while ago.

I was placed with a whiny little lad from Washington, who constantly complained and actually took up the flooring at one point so he could clean under it Shocked (amongst other things).

He annoyed by nagging so much that one morning when I had a hangover (and he was whining), I threw him through the doors, taking them off the frame.
I then picked him up and threw him into his own wardrobe
So I closed the wardrobe door and told him if he opened it again or spoke, I would kill him.
He then shut up.

Hehe, sounds like its a tricky situation not knowing on who you would actually be living with.. ive seen videos of different studio flats and all of them seem to be so so different ( i assume it depends on where you live) what is the general lay out you usually get? (may i ask) ^.^

Ive lived alone since then and prefer it that way.
le-paul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think youll probably find (when the posts start coming in), that the majority of people live in whats called a 'one room' (which is misleading because they sometimes have more than one room). Basically one large/small room with either a separate kitchen and bathroom, or the kitchen is part of the living room/bedroom.

The other common accom. is an 'attic'. This is sort of like a one room but has a mezzanine or upper room.
These types of places are usually in larger buildings. (2+ floors)

An upgrade would be a bedroom, then two etc. (theyre not called one rooms any more and are often referred to as apartments).

There are also 'villas'. which are basically one rooms but it has the appearance of a house from the outside. The older types were only one floor buildings. You can still get them but they are often rotting.

Hope thats not as clear as wallpaper
Jessiemj93

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
I think youll probably find (when the posts start coming in), that the majority of people live in whats called a 'one room' (which is misleading because they sometimes have more than one room). Basically one large/small room with either a separate kitchen and bathroom, or the kitchen is part of the living room/bedroom.

The other common accom. is an 'attic'. This is sort of like a one room but has a mezzanine or upper room.
These types of places are usually in larger buildings. (2+ floors)

An upgrade would be a bedroom, then two etc. (theyre not called one rooms any more and are often referred to as apartments).

There are also 'villas'. which are basically one rooms but it has the appearance of a house from the outside. The older types were only one floor buildings. You can still get them but they are often rotting.

Hope thats not as clear as wallpaper

HAHA!! yes no thats brilliant, like you say, i would appreciate other peoples views on this also, but you have given me a great answer!! so attic is, kitchen/living, with an off bath and then a bedroom upstairs? what would you say is the better of them all (sometimes with different job offers i have seen, you can have the option)
le-paul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, me personally, Id prefer the attic given the choice - either that or location.

But, different strokes for different folks and all that...
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a "three room" which actually has 5 rooms. There's the main bedroom, study room, living room, kitchen and bathroom all separate. I would highly recommend not living in a one room apartment.
Tyshine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lived in a dorm style apartment without a proper kitchen, a small one room place, and a three bedroom two bathroom modern place.
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Accomodation Reply with quote

I live in the country and work at a private school. My apartment has three bedrooms, a big living room, two bathrooms, full kitchen, entryway room, two patio rooms, and a separate laundry area. And an area that we would call a dining room, back home.

The patio area is the exact same size as my entire public school housing was, exactly!

Two of my friends who also teach and live near me, have almost the same set up as mine.
(private schools)

On the other hand, the public school teachers here, have a very, very small one room, with an electric plate as the stove. They asked to have the beds removed and opted to sleep on the floor, so they'd have more leg room.

There's also a married couple here (public school) who opted for the housing allowance, and are paying a extra cash to live in a brand new HUGE apartment(bigger than mine)

I think my boss and his family used to live in this house. He owns it, so I think that is why it is so large. I love the spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacceee!!

AND NO, I wouldn't want to live with anyone.

The largest one room I have ever been in,was in Busan. My friends had bought several large room dividers and made it into three separate living areas. It was a very nice set up.
J Rock

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My very first one bedroom was the smallest place I had ever seen. It had to be something like a 10 X 10 room. I only had to stay there for 2 months until one of the other teachers finished up her contract.

I took over here sweet place and I loved it! It was still a one bedroom but it was huge, I sectioned it off into different areas to make it feel like different rooms. I purposely didn’t have a couch, only my bed and some chairs. That way when I invited a girl over if we were going to watch a movie we'd have to sit on the bed, then after a couple strong cranberry and vodkas we would transition to laying on the bed.

And that’s the story how I tricked my wife (then girlfriend) into sleeping with me for the first time.
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/4597004/British-people-find-accommodation-the-most-difficult-word-to-spell.html

^

So no need to feel bad Smile

I've lived in a few houses in Korea, anything from a 4 bedroom apt (far too big!) to a studio.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to feel bad about your one room either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PuLxiS8GFg
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No need to feel bad about your one room either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PuLxiS8GFg

My one room had everything I needed. Given the choice of a one room or four bedrooms I'd choose the 1 room every time.

I guess that's because I have no friends to fill the four rooms. My cries are muffled more in the one room too! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: