Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baseball
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joelove

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Baseball Reply with quote

I like baseball. If you like baseball this a thread about it.

If you don't care for baseball, go away. Why did you even click on the thread, you weirdo?

This year they brought in the review play. I don't mind that. Managers have one shot to challenge a call the umpires made.

The pitch count obsession seems silly to me. When that became important a piece of new psychology got introduced. It trickled down to kids baseball too. I umpired a tournament last year. It was not pleasant. Worst thing was the adults. The coaches and the parents. They were the jerks. The kids were alright. Nah, they mostly sucked too. It was a bad tournament.

It's still a great game.
metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredibly boring sport with a lot of athletes on stimulants so they don't die from boredom playing the damn thing.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son likes the Yankees because his mother is from NYC, even though he was born in Florida and lives close to where the Rays play. Last week the Yankees came to town and he went to the game, posting pics on FB pre-game and boasting how NY was about to "hand the Rays their butts".

Final score: Rays 16 Yankees 1...Rays hit five home runs.

He picked the wrong game to go to.

Me? I could not care less who won, but it was still funny.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love baseball. Probably the most complex of all the big sports. I can get why some people think it's boring, but there's just to much strategy and so much going on that is missed by the untrained eye. Most sports you can explain relatively easily to someone new to that sport, but baseball has so much going on it take for ever and a year to teach/learn.

I can get hockey fans, football fans, baskestball fans, calling it boring. I can't for the life of me understand how a soccer fan can complain about baseball being boring. Soccer takes the cake, IMHO. But I think I just opened this up to a Europe vs. North American hate on thread.

As for replay, I like the idea, but they have to clean it up. The manager's team should NOT be allowed to review the play on TV before deciding whether or not they want to challenge. They need a 5 second rule or something like that. The current system slows things down too much. If the ump has to make the call right away, then manager's challenges should be the same.
fezmond

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pittsburgh Pirates all the way.

Wife likes whichever team ha a Korean on it. Currently the Rangers but she'll watch Ryu in LA, too. Dumb reason if you ask me but it's also nice to have a wife who watches baseball every opportunity it's on.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to say, that as a Detroit baseball fan, they never made them better than Ernie Harwell.

THAT is the beauty of baseball. The slow poetry on a summer afternoon. Where we as kids would listen to the game while fishing, or mowing the lawn, or just around the radio.

A game where the announcer would simply take the microphone...turn it around to hear the sounds of the game...and that was all you needed.

I do really want to see the Tigers win it. We have perhaps one of the best, if not the best owner in sports, who wants nothing more than to win, and is willing to lose money just to see that happen as his health fails. All these other owners threaten stadium deals and moving the team, and our owner is dying for a championship as much as the fan that makes 8 dollars an hour.
schwa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Ernie Harwell, that brings back some boyhood memories! Pre-cable we only got Tiger games on our b&w tv & I watched them religiously. Vin Scully is certainly another classic announcer. Every year I pick some Dodgers for my fantasy team so I have a stake in the games he calls.

This year I drafted both Ryu Hyunjin & Choo Shinsoo so I'd have a stake in the games on in the men teachers' lounge at school. Both are helping my team & they're fun to watch.
radcon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Giants fan I hate the Dodgers. This is a big disappointment to my students who are all Dodger fans at the moment because of Ryu.
fezmond

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's really friggin' annoying is the fact that MLB shops here don't sell jerseys. You can buy all kinds of 'fashionable' crap but not team jerseys. 102 usd to ship a Texas shirt over from mlb.com
Brooks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in Tokyo you can buy that.
There is a MLB store. I would like a jersey but it must be about 100 bucks.

Baseball can be slow but there is the strategy. The more you learn the better it is. Pitching is just a game within itself.

Too bad the Tigers changed their park. All that is left of the original places is Wrigley Field and Fenway Park.
Whatever happened to the place where the Expos played? I visited since my father lives in Vermont, so it wasn`t far.

I subsrcibe to MLB audio and listen to games when I can. It doesn`t cost much.
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
As a Giants fan I hate the Dodgers. This is a big disappointment to my students who are all Dodger fans at the moment because of Ryu.

Ryu does well against everyone, but giants are his weakness...

Gosh imagine your students self confidence shatter if your giants beats ryu... Their confidence in doing well in your classroom might be affected...

Hopefully you teach harder to make up for it... Very Happy

Go Blue!
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie wrote:
I can't for the life of me understand how a soccer fan can complain about baseball being boring. Soccer takes the cake, IMHO. But I think I just opened this up to a Europe vs. North American hate on thread.

Gee, I wonder how you'll take to 5 days of Test match cricket. Laughing

Whatever the sport, if you don't have a 'bond' to it, then it's boring. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooks wrote:

Whatever happened to the place where the Expos played? I visited since my father lives in Vermont, so it wasn`t far.

The "O" is still standing. In fact, the Blue Jays played their last 2 pre-seaon games there against the Mets. I think it drew 45k and 50k.

There's a growing movement in Montreal to get a team back. Still a long way off (need an owner, new stadium, the departure of Selig) but many people think moving Tampa up would be a logical choice. I'm sure it won't happen, tho.
Stain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Kansas City Royals fan, I hate everybody.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've never heard this classic bit by George Carlin, I highly recommend that you listen to it. I quoted only the last part.

George Carlin - Baseball vs Football
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRfhbEUkg7o

"And finally, the objectives of the two games are completely different:

In football the object is for the quarterback, also known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz, even if he has to use shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack that punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy's defensive line.

In baseball the object is to go home! And to be safe! - I hope I'll be safe at home!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: