Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What country has the richest middle class?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooks wrote:
America is a meaner country with so many so-called Christians who don`t want to turn the other cheek.
Gun owners and a bloated defense budget.

Christianity in America is declining, as is gun ownership and defense spending.

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2013/03/20/us/20guns-webgraphic.html
"The most reputable surveys show a decline over time in the share of households with guns.”

That decline, which has been studied by researchers for years but is relatively unknown among the general public, suggests that even as the conversation on guns remains contentious, a broad shift away from gun ownership is under way in a growing number of American homes.

http://thediplomat.com/2014/04/us-drives-down-global-defense-spending/
U.S. defense spending fell 7.8 percent in real terms in 2013

http://www.pewforum.org/2012/10/09/nones-on-the-rise/
The number of Americans who do not identify with any religion continues to grow at a rapid pace.
guavashake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:
weird rambler your pro-american threads are getting a bit tired. don't you have anything else in your decidedly small bag of tricks?

hmm
WT, I have an idea.

You are so enamored with the concept of truth, justice and the American Way.

Why don't you apply for a job with the State Department? The Foreign Service administers periodic exams at the USA embassy in Seoul.
If you are accepted, then there will be hope for you yet.

Look at Edward Snowden. He was a government contractor with a conscience.
He was brave enough to blow the whistle, and now he is highly regarded in USA and around the world.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
radcon wrote:
Tell us what middle class Americans get for their taxes?

Clean air, environmental protection, infrastructure, safety standards, protection, etc. There are a lot of good things. It's not all bad.
http://www.numbeo.com/pollution/rankings_by_country.jsp

L.A. in summer, Love Canal, interstate highway system falling apart, 3 Mile Island, Hanford, Rodney King ... LOTS of good things come from your taxes.

World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guavashake wrote:
He was brave enough to blow the whistle, and now he is highly regarded in USA and around the world.

No he's not.

Most Americans – 61 percent - think Snowden should have to stand trial in the United States for his actions. Far fewer – 23 percent - think he should be granted amnesty. Republicans, Democrats, and independents all agree on this as well.

Meanwhile, 31 percent approve of Snowden’s actions, while most, 54 percent, disapprove. Majorities of Republicans, Democrats, and independents disapprove.

Americans are divided as to the impact on the country from making the NSA program public. While 40 percent think the disclosure has been good for the country, 46 percent think it has been bad.

When asked to come up with a word that describes Edward Snowden, nearly a quarter volunteer either traitor or a similar word that questions his loyalty to his country, while 8 percent say he is “brave” or “courageous” or “a hero”. Just 2 percent volunteered that he is a patriot or patriotic, and another 2 percent say “terrorist”.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-most-think-edward-snowden-should-stand-trial-in-us/
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowden is a hero. He gave up his life for something so vague as other peoples privacy. I hope he gets a lot of girls with thankful wetnesses.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the statistics are bogus. Lots of Americans are hiding their money now and trying to reduce their net worth on paper.
guavashake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
guavashake wrote:

No he's not.

Fooey, that's an older poll. People learn the truth.

At one time people believed there are WMDs. Now, they don't.

Snowden Seen as Whistle-Blower by Majority in New Poll

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-10/snowden-seen-as-whistlebloweer-by-majority-in-new-poll.html

A majority of U.S. registered voters consider Edward Snowden a whistle-blower, not a traitor, and a plurality says government anti-terrorism efforts have gone too far in restricting civil liberties, a poll released today shows.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guavashake wrote:

What are you talking about, man? My poll is from 2014; yours is from 2013. Looks like people learned the truth as time went by. ^_~
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guavashake wrote:
wishfullthinkng wrote:
weird rambler your pro-american threads are getting a bit tired. don't you have anything else in your decidedly small bag of tricks?

hmm
WT, I have an idea.

Why don't you apply for a job with the State Department? The Foreign Service administers periodic exams at the USA embassy in Seoul.

i think you meant to quote weird rambler my man.

while i enjoy truth and justice i'm not enamored by the american way or the way of any nation. nationalism is for the weak minded. Cool
guavashake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
guavashake wrote:

What are you talking about, man? My poll is from 2014; yours is from 2013. Looks like people learned the truth as time went by. ^_~

Yes, you are right about the dates, you can believe any poll you like, its fine with me.
guavashake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:
guavashake wrote:
wishfullthinkng wrote:

hmm
WT, I have an idea.

i think you meant to quote weird rambler my man.

while i enjoy truth and justice i'm not enamored by the american way or the way of any nation. nationalism is for the weak minded. Cool

Actually, I did mean to quote you.

I agreed with what you wrote and it inspired me to write what I wrote to him.

Now I see that you both have the same initials, WT.

When I wrote it, I wasn't thinking about your name.

Sorry for the confusion.
guavashake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward Snowden Is The Person Of The Year

http://greatpreneurs.com/edward-snowden-person-year/

We think this year many people have achieved great things, but we believe that one man has changed everything. Edward Snowden is the Person of the Year. He’s the guy who has faced the most powerful country in the world in order to let us know how the US government and in particular the NSA is controlling and spying us. This guy has stood for people’s rights and the only thing he got back was a non return ticket to Russia.

We should all be thankful to him and his leaks that have showed us what the NSA is really doing. An agency that should work toward the protection of citizens and peace is constantly spying them. The PRISM program, which was leaked by Edward Snowden to journalists of The Washington Post and The Guardian, pointed out the fact that we are constantly controlled by the US government no matter we are Italians or English.
guavashake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+972's Person of the Year: Edward Snowden

http://972mag.com/972s-person-of-the-year-edward-snowden/84512/

Edward Snowden’s disclosures exposing the extent of NSA surveillance taught us more about our relationship with government than any other exposure or event. In fact, we learned about relationships we didn’t even know we had. But the Snowden leaks didn’t just change what we know; they sparked a discussion that could very well change the dynamics of power in the coming age.
guavashake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person of the year: Edward Snowden or the Pope

This year, there is only one logical choice: Edward Snowden.

http://theweek.com/article/index/253449/person-of-the-year-edward-snowden-or-the-pope

A 29-year-old managed to kneecap the most powerful institution on the face of the planet.
In many ways, I think the Snowden revelations are the largest source of background noise and the functional cause of President Obama's falling approval ratings. They were, of course, the direct catalyst for a significant (and perhaps quite productive) public debate about intelligence, technology, and power surveillance.
guavashake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward Snowden voted euronews Person of 2013

http://www.euronews.com/2013/12/16/edward-snowden-elected-euronews-person-of-the-year/

In a note sent with his first set of leaks, he told the Guardian: “I understand that I will be made to suffer for my actions. I will be satisfied if the federation of secret law, unequal pardon and irresistible executive powers that rule the world that I love are revealed even for an instant.”

He added: “I don’t want public attention because I don’t want the story to be about me. I want it to be about what the US government is doing. “I really want the focus to be on these documents and the debate which I hope this will trigger among citizens around the globe about what kind of world we want to live in.”

Asked why he gave up his freedom and a comfortable lifestyle to begin leaking, he said: “There are more important things than money. If I were motivated by money, I could have sold these documents to any number of countries and gotten very rich.

“The government has granted itself power it is not entitled to. There is no public oversight. The result is people like myself have the latitude to go further than they are allowed to.”

To a significant number of euronews.com viewers – he is a heroic defender of civil liberties who has weakened governments’ ability to spy on their citizens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: